Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    To be fair, Cody, I'm always a bit of a smart-ass.

But I was genuinely curious about the 2014 GOTY thing, since it didn't much make sense to me at the time and I honestly have no idea how/when GOTY's are decided.
    Alright fair enough. Though you must admit that you kind of have to expect that some people won't take to kindly to it and may reply in kind. I'm fine with it because I can be that way IRL myself and I've known you on here for a while. So I am used to your tentacle shenanigans <3.

Now to prep myself for Sheps huge reply, as I am sure he is typing it right now as we speak. He's online and his profile says he is reading this thread. So you know it's coming :P.

But yea ... Shame some of the better ones were cribbed for this fight. Soul Tear, Become Ethereal and Slow Time are all pretty awesome.
    Bethesda makes their characters pretty broken at times. Their games are one of the few games where the gameplay is actually toned down from what is seen in plot. Which is an interesting spin as it's usually the opposite(see Final Fantasy).
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Oh for goodness' sake don't be so dramatic.

No one is implying you are an asshole.

Sharp says that you and Endless both are telling him and Cthulhu that their reasons for disliking the story of Shadows of Mordor isn't valid and silly and he doesn't like that.
    I get that. I was trying to say that is not my intent, and it was unlikely Endless' intent as well.

No one has gotten personal at this point, I hope no one is going to.
    Same here.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    And here is part of the problem here. Neither of us meant to call anyone any names for disliking the game, but how easy you guys seem to get angry over something that isn't identical to the source. Now you're trying to make us out as if we were outright calling you guys stupid for disliking the game. Hell, you youself haven't even played the game Sharp, and you already disliked it based on what Cthulu said. You haven't played the game itself, you haven't read the in game lore they have built, you haven't actually seen the games full story, and yet you already hate the game because a tentacle monster disliked it.
    I've heard enough of the changes in the in-game lore to know that this part of the game doesn't appeal to me already. And that's my own feeling. What of it? You didn't get more than a few chapters through Silmarillion before deciding the book wasn't worth reading, from your own words, and I hardly took offense at that.

That's not the issue.

And that's fine if you value a friends opinion. But you were so ready to jump on the hate train almost immediately because, to you, it seemed to spit on the books lore. Despite never having actually played it.
    And if I dislike the game for my reasons? What of it? Just the video I've seen bugs me enough - showing the background, and changes that I dislike - that yeah, I'm not fond of the game now. I play games I want to play because they appeal to me, and the foundational changes I saw did not appeal to me at all.

But again, not the issue.

That's a huge exaggeration of what he said. He simply said that those who are so bothered by the game because it isn't 100% to the book should just relax a bit.
    Quote Time:

and if they bother other people, methinks you are clutching your pearls too tightly.
    And:

Saying being bothered by something trivial is silly...
    Bolded for specific emphasis in that second one.

I never have no. I never have put anyone down for liking something. If you're going to put words in my mouth the least you can do is at least try to quote it instead of trying to make me look like an asshole. So thanks Sharp; I Really appreciate it.
    I said -

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    He - and you, now - however, are now coming in and saying 'Hey, to not like something based on [insert reason, in this case 'because it's very different from the thing we prefer'] is silly and trivial'.
    Because you said:

Quote Originally Posted by You
    I mean disliking the game because you dislike some of the things it has going for it is one thing, but disliking it specifically because it was a bit different from the books is just being silly.
    Bolded for emphasis.

That's me not saying 'Cody you're being an asshole', that's me saying 'you're coming in and saying my reasons for not liking something are silly, and I'm not appreciating that'.

And that's in reaction to your quote above, where you say that very thing.

I was referring to the reaction: "*gasp!* it is so different from the book! I can't believe it that hurts me so bad!" <- that seems to be coming from some of the book purists here.
    Including myself. One of those people.

This:

is what was being referred too by "condescending". No one ever specifically said you.
    Your post was quoting me. Specifically. If you were referring to someone else there, fair enough, but clarity might have prevented that particular issue.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Off for a bit. Getting grumpy, and it's not worth it, nor fun.

Also don't want to be honked off at Cody, so better to stop. :)
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 01-13-2016 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Clarity.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I've heard enough of the changes in the in-game lore to know that this part of the game doesn't appeal to me already. And that's my own feeling. What of it? You didn't get more than a few chapters through Silmarillion before deciding the book wasn't worth reading, from your own words, and I hardly took offense at that.
    That was the point I was trying to make mate. You didn't like something despite not playing it. So I said I never fully read the book bad called it bad.

Point: Let's not hate something we haven't tried ourselves or sat through watching a walkthrough of(or even watching cutscenes really).

And I am not, or I should say cannot reply to the rest because...there is so many damn quotes that I don't know who said who anymore, even if your titling XD.

So let's just leave it at that. No one here meant for hurt feelings or for insulting one another. I might have jumped the gun as I know you better than that to accuse you of making me out to look like an ass. So I am sorry for that.

It just seemed to me like Endless was the one getting attacked for liking the game. Not that he was insulting you for liking the books.
    Last edited by Cody; 01-13-2016 at 02:12 PM.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Off for a bit. Getting grumpy, and it's not worth it, nor fun.

Also don't want to be honked off at Cody, so better to stop.
    I think I will be off for a bit too. Need a smoke. Sharp; I like, and respect the fuck outta you for being such a fine example of what an admin(yes I know you were just a mod but I always saw you as an admin due to being such a fair, and open minded individual)should be, and for just being a kind stand up guy in general. So I hope there are no hard feelings.
    Last edited by Cody; 01-13-2016 at 02:17 PM.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

Let's all Mordor and Chill
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Personal likes and dislikes are one thing rational thought has no direct claim over. As long as someone knows sufficient facts to make a judgment, their preferences are always just as valid as anyone else's.

Unless you like how Tolkien used Tom Bombadil. That's just wrong.

But yea ... Shame some of the better ones were cribbed for this fight. Soul Tear, Become Ethereal and Slow Time are all pretty awesome.
    Sure, they are pretty cool shouts, but pretty OP, especially considering most of the people in this thread seemed to think The Dragonborn would do fine in the War of the Ring without em. But speaking of those shouts; Is there anything or anyone in Middle Earth that The Dragonborn could defeat WITH the Soul Tear, Become Ethereal or Slow Time shouts that (s)he couldn't defeat WITHOUT?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jibberish View Post
    Sure, they are pretty cool shouts, but pretty OP, especially considering most of the people in this thread seemed to think The Dragonborn would do fine in the War of the Ring without em. But speaking of those shouts; Is there anything or anyone in Middle Earth that The Dragonborn could defeat WITH the Soul Tear, Become Ethereal or Slow Time shouts that (s)he couldn't defeat WITHOUT?
    Individuals s(he'd) otherwise have trouble getting close too.

Saruman/Sauron's mental manipulation being sticking points. Then again... A Maxed Dragonborn can slow time by aiming a bow, so ...
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    Personal likes and dislikes are one thing rational thought has no direct claim over. As long as someone knows sufficient facts to make a judgment, their preferences are always just as valid as anyone else's.

Unless you like how Tolkien used Tom Bombadil. That's just wrong.
    You think Tolkien could actually control Tom ?

I don't.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Individuals s(he'd) otherwise have trouble getting close too.

Saruman/Sauron's mental manipulation being sticking points. Then again... A Maxed Dragonborn can slow time by aiming a bow, so ...
    I saw that more of a heighten sense. Time sleeping to slow down as his reactions are increased until right after he fires his bow.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

I saw that more of a heighten sense. Time sleeping to slow down as his reactions are increased until right after he fires his bow.
    Either way, that means that s(he's) reacting faster than they would be otherwise, compared to their opponent so there's a chance Saruman wouldn't particularly be an issue.

Unless he manages to get at the Dragonborn before he's ever in range to shoot him.

Arx Inosaan

Either way, that means that s(he's) reacting faster than they would be otherwise, compared to their opponent so there's a chance Saruman wouldn't particularly be an issue.

Unless he manages to get at the Dragonborn before he's ever in range to shoot him.
    Thing is about the Dragonborn is that; to him arrows are avoidable. They appear relatively slow to him. So he is at least in the street leveller category when it comes to reaction speed.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

That was the point I was trying to make mate. You didn't like something despite not playing it. So I said I never fully read the book bad called it bad.

Point: Let's not hate something we haven't tried ourselves or sat through watching a walkthrough of(or even watching cutscenes really).
    And that you didn't like the book after barely reading it...well, I figured 'Hey, it's Cody's right. He didn't like it, fair enough.'

Lemme put it this way. *warning - long-winded explanation follows, skip if you're not named Cody*

In order for me to enjoy a video game, it needs to have a whole lot more than gameplay (I imagine this is the same for most people, but bear with me and hear me out, there's a reason for me stating the obvious). It needs to have a story, background, setting and characters that really appeal to me.

Now, as some might know, I'm pretty picky with my Tolkien. This, in fact, is not limited to Tolkien, it's how I am in many areas of my life. When I come to like something, I like it the way it is.

Hence, my personal dislike for Jackson's stuff. Yeah, the movies have a lot going for them, millions of people like them, Jackson must have been doing something right. No worries there. But that doesn't change the fact that I detest the heck out of everything but Fellowship.

Which brings us to Shadow Of Mordor.

The gameplay could be good (sounds like it is). The game could appeal to loads of people. Lots of people might be okay with the rather massive changes to the setting (and, frankly, they're huge, just based off the description and the cutscene).

That's cool.

For me, such things are a huge turn-off. Like, massive.

So, that's my feeling.

It's like watching a video game ad and saying 'Meh, that doesn't interest me.' EVERYONE has done this, and everyone has had a friend who has said 'Dude, why?' (well, maybe not, but you get the idea). Or having a friend show us a touch of the game and saying 'You know, that's really not my thing.' Despite them loving it.

And that's fine. Tastes differ, and yeah, sometimes we can figure out if something is to our taste just at first glance.

This is the same thing, only I have a direct reason. It's not me deciding 'I don't like this because they've messed around with Canon!' It's me hearing the changes and feeling put off as well as massively disinterested.

And that is a personal feeling. If others don't agree with that, cool. I get that.

All I ask is that people respect that.

I mean, people tear up and down on all kinds of things here on Rumbles. Silmarillion? Sure. I've sat through more people than just Cody tearing Silmarillion up and down for being boring, and not just here. Other stuff I like? All the time.

It's when people start saying 'no, that thing you don't like is a good thing, your opinion is crap' or whatever that we're into one person telling another 'you shouldn't feel that way' or 'it's silly [to use that word, sorry] for you to feel that way'. <-- I am not saying all of these things were said in this thread, so let's not jump there, please. ^_^ Stuff like that HAS been said to me in the past, and I felt like a more broad spectrum of examples was necessary to make the point, is all. ^_^

Well, no.

For me, if disagreement has reached that point it's better to say 'Hey, you don't like that? Cool. Your reasons seem logical to me/make sense based on your point of view/or even I don't get them but they're your reasons. So, fair enough. I like it because of xyz, but tastes differ.'

Because tastes do differ. And the other guy has the right to make their decision based on whatever they feel they need to make that decision. If it's the cover of the book, fair enough. If it's a cutscene from a game, fair enough. If it's a friend's opinion, fair enough as well. Because that's their right.

Or, that's how I feel. ^_^

And I am not, or I should say cannot reply to the rest because...there is so many damn quotes that I don't know who said who anymore, even if your titling XD.
    Cripes, and here I tried to make it clear... ^_^

So let's just leave it at that. No one here meant for hurt feelings or for insulting one another. I might have jumped the gun as I know you better than that to accuse you of making me out to look like an ass. So I am sorry for that.
    No worries, man. Let's just let that drop.

And nothing of the sort was intended.

Going to say this - I'm much more invested in saying 'Look, I didn't appreciate that ACTION/what was said, and this is why' and getting some resolution on that, than saying 'Look, because you said that you are a jerk'. That second thing never helps, and is most often wrong. ^_^

I'd rather lay things out straightforward and work through them. :)

It just seemed to me like Endless was the one getting attacked for liking the game. Not that he was insulting you for liking the books.
    Never felt he was. Different matter entirely.

I think I will be off for a bit too. Need a smoke. Sharp; I like, and respect the fuck outta you for being such a fine example of what an admin(yes I know you were just a mod but I always saw you as an admin due to being such a fair, and open minded individual)should be, and for just being a kind stand up guy in general. So I hope there are no hard feelings.
    No hard feelings, and that you respect me, that means a great deal. <-- *Is serious* Appreciate that.

It's good knowing you, man. :) Hence, me not liking the idea of being miffed with you.

So let's just set that somewhere behind us. FAR behind us.

And stop smoking!

^_^
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 01-13-2016 at 07:05 PM.
    Why are we here?