Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I tried reading the Silmarillion once. Fell asleep. Worked great as toilet paper though :P.
    Should have persisted beyond Ainulindale. Or even Valaquenta . Which are both written in somewhat more archaic language than the rest of the book. I got bored too with these bits , but after that it's just amazing . Then when you re-read it, you enjoy those bits too

It happened again recently . I was reading Hyperion by Dan Simmons and found the initial chapters confusing and too full of science fiction mumbo jumbo. But once you get past that , I found it to be an amazing read .

What I'm saying is , some books are often confusing in the first few chapters . One should persist till the end though , and is often rewarded with a gem of a story for said effort.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Endless_Legend View Post
    It's not an AC-clone, it's a Batman clone. It's running on the Batman engine, from the same publisher, after all..
    That doesn't really help the case for the game in my eyes as I didn't like Batman games at all. Just zero engagement with those games, did nothing for me.

Heck, I prefer the AC games to the Batman games but have no real attachment to either franchise. Heck, I don't even really care about LotR either so I got no grounds for caring about the game.

Also, condescending people for caring about the treatment of a source material that they love and then being surprised when they are less than amused by your comments seems a tad silly.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Way to draw a false analogy. Saying being bothered by something trivial is silly is not the same thing as saying there is something "wrong with them".
    It's a nice put-down of other people's opinions and personal feelings on a matter. And totally unnecessary except to be, as others have noted, condescending.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    I dunno, but seems to support my original argument that Gandalf rarely busted out his true power . What say, Sharp?
    It's true that he rarely busted out his true power. Not sure how this invalidates anything I was figuring. ^_^

Also, the passage is specifically about Gandalf the White.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

If nothing else, I'll cosign the hell out of Hyperion being a great read. The first two books of the cantos are remarkable.

Second two, eh, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    It's a nice put-down of other people's opinions and personal feelings on a matter. And totally unnecessary except to be, as others have noted, condescending.
    He wasn't though that's the thing. You guys were putting down the game just because it dared to differ from the books. I mean disliking the game because you dislike some of the things it has going for it is one thing, but disliking it specifically because it was a bit different from the books is just being silly.

Then he was getting shit on for daring to point this out. He wasn't trying to be condescending to anyone here imo. If anything here is a lot of condescension being directed towards him just because he defended the game in question.

Personally I think everyone needs to relax. No one was trying to insult anyone here, just defending something they like.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

No one said the game was bad, I specifically said the game play was good.

But that doesn't mean I can't take issue with the game because it butchered the source material. If it was cosmetic differences, sure, that can be ignored; but it's not cosmetic.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

I said I didn't care about the game because it looked like something I wasn't interested in and I don't care about LotR so I got no stakes here.

I don't think it's silly to criticise an adaptation of a source material for not being faithful to that source. It doesn't lessen the original but it is something they point and go; "This doesn't make any sense when you look at the character, etc," It's a legit criticism.

It's not that Endless_Legend defended Shadows of Mordor that he's getting flack, it's because he inferred that disliking the game for an entirely legit reason was a flawed opinion and that people were "silly" to think that way. That's going to make people who hold that opinion feel got at. I refer you to my answer to his words above, if anything it seems silly to come into a thread and infer that proportion of the people in it are dumb for holding an opinion and then be surprised when they don't react positively to that.

Besides, I think everyone is cool here. Sharp and CoR are both sensible men and have been around this place a while. I don't think they are going to get personal. If people are getting uncomfortable...

Um...

So, that Dragonborn, eh? Guy can shout real good.

He wasn't though that's the thing. You guys were putting down the game just because it dared to differ from the books. I mean disliking the game because you dislike some of the things it has going for it is one thing, but disliking it specifically because it was a bit different from the books is just being silly.
    For myself I'm stating my dislike for the game, sure. That's my opinion and feeling on that. Also my disbelief at how vastly different even the foundational stuff is in the game.

So, much like me stating my dislike the movies.

However, I've always said 'Hey, if other people like the movies and so forth, that's cool. I understand some of the reasons why. I don't share 'em, but I understand them.' Same here. I do not disparage someone else's liking for the movies (Edit: save possibly in jest with people I knew well), and I wouldn't for the games (and didn't). My opinion is MY opinion.

He - and you, now - however, are now coming in and saying 'Hey, to not like something based on [insert reason, in this case 'because it's very different from the thing we prefer'] is silly and trivial'. So, rather than just saying 'Hey, I loved the game. Other people might not, I understand/don't understand their reasons, they're free to feel whatever, but I felt the game was a good yadda yadda yadda etc', this is 'Here is what I think of your opinions and feelings on the matter, and it is certainly negative.'

And, as noted, you have now just done the same thing.

Just because you do not share the same feelings and/or opinions, does not mean they are trivial or silly.

Then he was getting shit on for daring to point this out. He wasn't trying to be condescending to anyone here imo.
    Shit on? Lemme look at my stuff -

Quote Originally Posted by Me, after the remark in question
    Because someone doesn't like something, there's something wrong with them. Curious perspective.
    And that thing you quoted:

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    This is shitting on? Nothing personal, no attacks on his opinions on the matter. And where's the condescension?

Personally I think everyone needs to relax. No one was trying to insult anyone here, just defending something they like.
    Defending by attacking the other opinions, dismissing them as silly and trivial.

How is this not condescending?
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 01-13-2016 at 02:05 PM.
    Why are we here?

An example (there's also Dork's post, at the top of this page):

I tried reading the Silmarillion once. Fell asleep. Worked great as toilet paper though :P.
    For myself, I really enjoyed Silmarillion. More than Lord of the Rings, even. I get that some people don't like it - you're not the first person to tell me it's a 'snorefest', as you did in your previous post, though the toilet paper thing is novel (and uncomfortable) - and I have myself warned people that the first bit is can be hard to get through.

But I personally found the writing sweeping and grand, and really enjoyed the quasi-historical feeling of the account.

It's not the sort of book I would read every day, but I truly enjoyed it. :D
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 01-13-2016 at 12:27 PM.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    He - and you, now - however, are now coming in and saying 'Hey, to not like something based on [insert reason, in this case 'because it's very different from the thing we prefer'] is silly and trivial'.
    And here is part of the problem here. Neither of us meant to call anyone any names for disliking the game, but how easy you guys seem to get angry over something that isn't identical to the source. Now you're trying to make us out as if we were outright calling you guys stupid for disliking the game. Hell, you youself haven't even played the game Sharp, and you already disliked it based on what Cthulu said. You haven't played the game itself, you haven't read the in game lore they have built, you haven't actually seen the games full story, and yet you already hate the game because a tentacle monster disliked it.

And that's fine if you value a friends opinion. But you were so ready to jump on the hate train almost immediately because, to you, it seemed to spit on the books lore. Despite never having actually played it.

So, rather than just saying 'Hey, I loved the game. Other people might not, I understand/don't understand their reasons, they're free to feel whatever, but I felt the game was a good yadda yadda yadda etc', this is 'Here is what I think of your opinions and feelings on the matter, and it is certainly negative.'
    That's a huge exaggeration of what he said. He simply said that those who are so bothered by the game because it isn't 100% to the book should just relax a bit.

And, as noted, you have now just done the same thing.
    I never have no. I never have put anyone down for liking something. If you're going to put words in my mouth the least you can do is at least try to quote it instead of trying to make me look like an asshole. So thanks Sharp; I Really appreciate it.

I was referring to the reaction: "*gasp!* it is so different from the book! I can't believe it that hurts me so bad!" <- that seems to be coming from some of the book purists here.

Shit on? Lemme look at my stuff -

And that thing you quoted:

This is shitting on? Nothing personal, no attacks on his opinions on the matter. And where's the condescension?

Defending by attacking the other opinions, dismissing them as silly and trivial.

How is this not condescending?
    This:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Even more interesting, is that the Witcher 3 isn't a 2014 release. So I suppose I'm curious to know how it could have possibly been in contention for GOTY 2014.
    There's no "took as". You obviously meant it that way, since I committed the faux pas of having an unpopular opinion and liking Shadow of Mordor despite whatever offenses it makes towards Tolkien-lore purists. Now you're just making snide followups.

is what was being referred too by "condescending". No one ever specifically said you.
    Last edited by Cody; 01-13-2016 at 01:23 PM.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

I seem to recall you appealing for calm Cody.

This doesn't appear to be it.

Like Sharp says, don't expect high tea but we're at the risk of offence being taken here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I seem to recall you appealing for calm Cody.

This doesn't appear to be it.

Like Sharp says, don't expect high tea but we're at the risk of offence being taken here.
    Well when someone basically accuses me of calling everyone names for disliking the game, I take offence. I was just trying to point out that Endless didn't mean any harm by what he said, he wasn't trying to personally insult anyone. And because I am trying to point that out, I am an asshole apparently.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

To be fair, Cody, I'm always a bit of a smart-ass.

But I was genuinely curious about the 2014 GOTY thing, since it didn't much make sense to me at the time and I honestly have no idea how/when GOTY's are decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Besides, I think everyone is cool here. Sharp and CoR are both sensible men and have been around this place a while. I don't think they are going to get personal. If people are getting uncomfortable...

Um...

So, that Dragonborn, eh? Guy can shout real good.
    Awh, you're not so bad yourself, Legendary God of Pirates and Hustle.

Seriously, everytime I see the Hasta, I think "Hustle".

But yea ... Shame some of the better ones were cribbed for this fight. Soul Tear, Become Ethereal and Slow Time are all pretty awesome.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Well when someone basically accuses me of calling everyone names for disliking the game, I take offence. I was just trying to point out that Endless didn't mean any harm by what he said, he wasn't trying to personally insult anyone. And because I am trying to point that out, I am an asshole apparently.
    Oh for goodness' sake don't be so dramatic.

No one is implying you are an asshole.

Sharp says that you and Endless both are telling him and Cthulhu that their reasons for disliking the story of Shadows of Mordor isn't valid and silly and he doesn't like that.

No one has gotten personal at this point, I hope no one is going to.