Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    "So, we must take this ring to Mount Doom to dispose of it? And you say this is a long trip by foot?"

"Yes, Mr. Dovahkiin-- wait, where are you going?"

"I know of a much quicker way to travel, but I must first go find a giant."
    "One does not simply survive, the Giant Space Program".
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Er.. I suppose it depends on how long it'd take to corrupt him. He could ultimately just ride his Dragon to Mordor, Fus'ing anyone that gets in his way, to dump the thing.
    As per the OP, Odahviing isn't going to fly The Dragonborn or anybody else long distances or over Mordor. He can just be summoned to aid in battle up to three times.

Or what Armor/Weapons they have (if it's stuff from the Gods, it'll have some pretty stupid enhancements). Like a staff that can turn things into other things like rabbits, or cause them to explode into coins.
    Let's say the best set of Daedric armor, sword and bow with enchantments that could be made without the alchemy-enchanting loop or other exploits, and all the Daedric artifacts.

So right after I made this thread, I noticed The Xena In The Fellowship of the Ring Thread (I didn't mean to make a copycat thread, believe it or not!), and I began to wonder if I made a mistake in this thread taking away the rest of the Fellowship, because people in that thread seemed to think Xena couldn't handle taking care of everything on her own. You guys seem to think The Dragonborn wouldn't have any trouble here, though... is The Dragonborn really that much stronger than Xena? I wouldn't have thought so before.

Uh.. Xena is strong, yea. But the Dovahkiin is truly ridiculous at max level, without even bothering to cheat. Xena would bounce off the guy.

A max enchanted suit of Daedric armor and weapons would otherwise turn you into a monster as well. The Dovahkiin would end the Seige of Helm's Deep before the night ended.

Basically:

- Summon Lightning Storm (shout).
    - Cast Blizzard, Inferno, Lightning Explosion (100 Destruction)
    - Throw yourself into the fray.

If this Dovahkiin is also a Werewolf, they'll also gain a massive strength boost, can summon familiar (wolves) and heal by mauling the enemies.

Then they'll shift back, and rinse repeat with the Destruction magic.

Could have also just Fus'd the Balrog off of the bridge. Or murdered it. Probably murdered it. Becuase it totally looks like it has some nice items.

There's not a whole lot that could stand up to the Dovahkiin directly in LoTR circa the War of the Ring.
    Last edited by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh; 01-09-2016 at 07:46 PM.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

BANNED

What makes you think the Dragonborn would be resistant to it at all?

Remember that the One Ring does not forcefully dominate it's victims. This isn't mind control. You can't overcome it by raw willpower.

The ring bypasses all that completely and alters the desire of those around it. They want the ring. They begin to want to see all the good they could do with it's power. This is why, for example, somebody like Batman would be (over time) helpless against it. Willpower is just the action mechanism of desires and goals. If those desires and goals are altered, eventually that will is instead enslaved to the desires of the ring.

Recall that being beings of immense stature were not immune to it's temptation. Even other Maiar (such as Saruman or Gandalf) were tempted by it, and the former gave in to that temptation. even Galadriel, who was the most powerful being in Middle Earth except for Sauron, came very close to seizing it when it was presented to her, and the act of denying her own desires for it left her visibly exhausted.

The Dragonborn is externally powerful, because they're an avatar of the player. That's you. The Dragonborn is basically you, the person sitting at the keyboard, but given an enormous amount of external power over the course of the game.

How long do you think you could resist the One Ring?

The main contention is that the Dovahkiin's desire is pretty singularly 'save Nirn', the Ring could help them do that, but given that the Dovahkiin is an aspect of Akatosh and as a result isn't exactly governed by the same desires as, say, the person behind the keyboard.

The task is to get Frodo to where's he's going. The Dovahkiin can definitely do that.

Arx Inosaan

Yeah the ultimate fate of being dominated by the ring is to be a thrall of Sauron, however the Dragonborn belongs to Akatosh, essentially the chief God of Nirn, so it's a bit iffy

BANNED

The main contention is that the Dovahkiin's desire is pretty singularly 'save Nirn', the Ring could help them do that, but given that the Dovahkiin is an aspect of Akatosh and as a result isn't exactly governed by the same desires as, say, the person behind the keyboard.
    Says who? The dragon-soul that Dragonborn have is bestowed by Akatosh. The person themselves is not an aspect of Akatosh. They're not a demigod or an avatar of the Nine or a daedra. The Dragonborn is just a human with a dragon's soul, and the ability to learn dragon shouts instantly, instead of through years of training.

It's possible in the game to become a vampire lord and the proceed to slaughter everyone you come into contact with. So, I have to disagree with the assertion that the Dragonborn has any singular desire. Their desire is whatever the player's desire is, because they are not really a character, they're just a silent cipher. An empty vessel for the player to pour themselves into.

The Dragonborn "could" get Frodo to the cracks of Doom, but I don't think they actually ever would. What they would do is, pretty quickly, take the ring for themselves (even more quickly than Boromir, I doubt any of us would even make it to Moria before trying), and then you'd have a second Dark Lord. One who would be, in Galadriel's words, stronger than the foundations of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Endless_Legend View Post
    Says who? The dragon-soul that Dragonborn have is bestowed by Akatosh. The person themselves is not an aspect of Akatosh. They're not a demigod or an avatar of the Nine or a daedra. The Dragonborn is just a human with a dragon's soul, and the ability to learn dragon shouts instantly, instead of through years of training.
    The Dovahkiin is a Dragon Soul in the body of a human. It has the /soul/ of a Dragon, because Akatosh saw fit to give them that specifically; and since Akatosh is the God of Dragons/Time, having the soul of a Dragon means you're a part of him. They Greybeards ability to shout is also a result of decades of training under the tutelage of a Dragon. They're specifically unable to do what the Dovahkiin is required to do as far as fulfilling the prophecy of stopping the World-Eater, and permanently killing Dragons. Not to mention that learning the Dragon language isn't hard, the words themselves ARE magic, so ANYONE that learns the language is capable of shouting.

It's possible in the game to become a vampire lord and the proceed to slaughter everyone you come into contact with. So, I have to disagree with the assertion that the Dragonborn has any singular desire. Their desire is whatever the player's desire is, because they are not really a character, they're just a silent cipher. An empty vessel for the player to pour themselves into.

The Dragonborn "could" get Frodo to the cracks of Doom, but I don't think they actually ever would. What they would do is, pretty quickly, take the ring for themselves (even more quickly than Boromir, I doubt any of us would even make it to Moria before trying), and then you'd have a second Dark Lord. One who would be, in Galadriel's words, stronger than the foundations of the earth.
    Why would they want the Ring, exactly ? Given that they're stronger than Sauron by themselves, the ring is like any of the other countless rings they've found in crypts, etc. It's basically "I'm already strong enough to run this place, why bother"?

Not to mention that they've been tasked with a quest by an NPC.

So, y'know, if you're gonna go the 'well the Dovahkiin is actually just the person behind the keyboard', you've pretty much answered your own issue with the whole "person behind the keyboard is gonna finish the quest to get their reward".

Arx Inosaan

BANNED

So, y'know, if you're gonna go the 'well the Dovahkiin is actually just the person behind the keyboard', you've pretty much answered your own issue with the whole "person behind the keyboard is gonna finish the quest to get their reward".
    Well, going this way, it's likely that a more corrupt, imoral Dohvakin just kills Frodo, takes the loot, and then seeing that while a ring of invisibility that also attracts Nazūl AKA lots of XP is pretty neat, it's unlikely to be better than the rings he already has.

So it ends up in a chest somewhere in one of his mansions, added to his large collection of demonic artifacts, or just sold for cash.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

As the Dragonborn is essentially a cipher with no actually finalized history, skills, drives, or even mortal species, I vote that we do this in a Twitch Plays Dragonborn of the Rings kinda way.

Five minutes later:

*7 foot tall Khajit Rogue who specializes in assassination via 2 handed warhammer, and is also a werewolf in full Daedric Armor attempts to eat the ring to absorb Sauron's soul/power in order to fuel the Distraction Thu'um*

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I see nothing to suggest that the Ring wouldn't be able to corrupt the Dragonborn. It was getting to Sam through gardening, it can get to the Dragonborn through any number of avenues.

Has it ever effected someone with complete immunity to magic, and a Dragon soul that could have several parts of it claimed by several gods?

I thought that the Ring only really tempted individuals through mental persuasion and corrupting them via dark magic shenanigans.

I mean it can't only be someone unknown like Tom Bombadil(sp) or someone like Thanos to resist the Ring.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I see nothing to suggest that the Ring wouldn't be able to corrupt the Dragonborn. It was getting to Sam through gardening, it can get to the Dragonborn through any number of avenues.
    I just don't think that the Ring is offering anything desireable to the Dhovakin.
    He might wear it to attract Nazgūl so he can farm XP and loot extra Morgul blades, but that's about the only use he has for it.

That ones easy. The Ring just offers him the cheat window :P
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

He can pretty much do w/e the ring can do for him really..hell he could just make a ring that could do what the Ring would do for him.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral