Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I think WW is better suited. In the last four years, I have lost count of how many times Diana has been dealing with a "bad" Superman. The last time was in JL #47, a few weeks ago.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 01-09-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I wouldn't give a Kryptonite ring to anyone, if I was Superman. That's just me though!

Batman makes sense cause theyre pals and he knows he won't abuse it. Wonder Woman also makes sense, as does Barry (but he was dead forever).

Since Superman wouldn't know every GLC guy, that would be like giving it to Scotland Yard or the FBI. It could fall into bad, bad hands.

I think Diana would fit. Not sure if her feeling would get in the way though. Barry would be a better candidate. Infinite Mass Punch yo.

I think the fatal flaw in giving it to either Diana or Barry is their compassion.

Barry and Diana, they're going to try to reason with Clark and talk him down until the last possible moment....and by then, it'll be too late. Clark overpowers everyone, by a pretty far margin (or at least he did prior to Truth, who knows where we'll be afterwards) and if you're going to use kryptonite against him, you need someone who isnt going to let their concern for his well-being get in the way. Diana might be a hardened warrior in most cases, but when it comes to her friends she's just a big teddy bear, and I think she'd hesitate to use kryptonite, and that'd be the end of her.

And I think Barry would be the same, only worse. He's too nice a guy, he'd wait a millisecond too long, and Clark is way too fast.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Well then give it to Aquaman then. He'll get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Well then give it to Aquaman then. He'll get the job done.
    Bit too hotheaded, I think.

What about the Martian Manhunter? He has comparable powers, in addition to others that would prove useful (telepathy, shapeshifting), and is a detective himself. That and J'onn has always seemed like a level-headed guy who understands far more about humans, aliens, and Earth than he lets on.

Quote Originally Posted by NotSuper View Post
    What about the Martian Manhunter? He has comparable powers, in addition to others that would prove useful (telepathy, shapeshifting), and is a detective himself. That and J'onn has always seemed like a level-headed guy who understands far more about humans, aliens, and Earth than he lets on.
    I would so so not trust that dude.

I think Batman qualifies as the safest bet right? Because Aquaman would actually kill him. Wonder Woman would put aside her feelings and kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    But that goes back to the whole magic thing being vastly overplayed. Magic "stopping Superman in his tracks" is bullcrap. Its a viable option, but he shouldn't be worthless in the face of it.
    I think Kryptonite is more overplayed as a weakness than magic. Pamp's point was that Constantine and Zatanna were highly skilled magicians and could beat Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think the fatal flaw in giving it to either Diana or Barry is their compassion.

Barry and Diana, they're going to try to reason with Clark and talk him down until the last possible moment....and by then, it'll be too late. Clark overpowers everyone, by a pretty far margin (or at least he did prior to Truth, who knows where we'll be afterwards) and if you're going to use kryptonite against him, you need someone who isnt going to let their concern for his well-being get in the way. Diana might be a hardened warrior in most cases, but when it comes to her friends she's just a big teddy bear, and I think she'd hesitate to use kryptonite, and that'd be the end of her.

And I think Barry would be the same, only worse. He's too nice a guy, he'd wait a millisecond too long, and Clark is way too fast.
    Barry maybe. I don't think it will be an issue for Diana. She may be diplomatic but not to an extreme point. See her speech about Dr Light.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Barry maybe. I don't think it will be an issue for Diana. She may be diplomatic but not to an extreme point. See her speech about Dr Light.
    Yeah, but this is Clark. In any continuity, they're extremely close. And she holds Clark in the highest regard, she wouldn't believe that he was beyond redemption until the entire world was burning at his feet, and maybe not even then. She's a warrior and does her job no matter how much she might dislike it personally...but unless there's a substantial body count already I just dont see her being willing to cross that line.

I actually think Orin would be a decent choice. He's ruthless enough to not hesitate and let that one crucial moment slip past him like some of the others might, and he has more resources at his disposal than anyone.

However, it just dawned on me that there might be political ramifications too. Unless the world at large knows that Superman has turned and supports his being brought down, Atlantis (and Themyscria for that matter) might catch some serious heat from world leaders.

As for J'onn....it would depend on which version we're talking about I guess. Are we talking about the stoic but kind-hearted Oreo junkie who was the backbone of the League from its very beginnings, or the J'onn who is shifty and always working a hidden agenda? One of those guys I would trust, the other one? Not a chance. Not with this.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I think Batman qualifies as the safest bet right? Because Aquaman would actually kill him. Wonder Woman would put aside her feelings and kill him.
    Actually I think Wonder Woman would struggle more with this than even Batman would, just because of who it is. Any other hero goes bad, and I can see her putting aside her feelings and doing what must be done, but with Superman its different, it always has been. I'm not saying that in the end, she wouldn't put him down if it was absolutely necessary, but it would be a HELL of a struggle for her to get there.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

To me it still seems strange to discuss Superman as if he were a rabid dog.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Aside from Bruce (really, given its apparent lack of potency, the ring seems more like protection for him in case Superman goes rogue so he has time formulate a real game plan rather than a means of attack in itself), J'onn would be the obvious choice if not for his extreme vulnerability to heat vision, and the current Aquaman would as pointed out probably be too hot-headed. I think Diana could win - I don't think even her more murder-happy incarnations would kill Clark - but the name that really comes to me for this outside the League is Steel. He has the power, he has the tech, the intelligence, and the willingness to do whatever it takes to stand up for what Superman stands for, even if it's against the man himself.
    Buh-bye