View Poll Results: Who is the best Batman artist of all time?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Neal Adams

21 25.61%
  • Jim Aparo

10 12.20%
  • Norm Breyfogle

6 7.32%
  • Greg Capullo

9 10.98%
  • Dick Giordano

0 0%
  • Kelly Jones

1 1.22%
  • Andy Kubert

3 3.66%
  • Jim Lee

9 10.98%
  • David Mazzucchelli

5 6.10%
  • Frank Miller

4 4.88%
  • Don Newton

3 3.66%
  • Jerry Robinson

0 0%
  • Marshall Rogers

4 4.88%
  • Tim Sale

2 2.44%
  • Other

5 6.10%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Who is the best Batman artist of all time?

Thought I would open this up to the board. Who do you feel is the top Batman comic artist of all time?

I tried to include everyone that has had a significant run on the character, but I surely left someone out (hence the "other" option). Cast your vote and discuss your choice in the thread.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

LOT of great artists on that list, but I'm going with Capullo. Not only is he an amazing artist who fits the book very well, but also for his longevity on the book.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

I'll get the conversation going by discussing my top 3.

So, Norm Breyfogle I've posted a lot about on these boards. Basically, I think the artist you grew up with or that was on the book when you were exposed to the character goes a long way in deciding who your favorite is gonna be, within reason (just as key as who the inker and colorist is, or even the paper stock the comics were printed on in some eras). For me, it was Breyfogle, and I read just about all of his long run on Batman, 'Tec and Shadow of the Bat. His style is angular, and he had the ridiculously flowing cape thing down that became standard when Spawn came along. It was very stylized, but there was a ton of versatility in his work. Plus, like any great Bat-artist, his renditions of the villains were all excellent. Pound for pound, Breyfogle will always be my favorite Bat-artist.

Jim Aparo: he was the other main artist for a time, sharing the main title and 'Tec with Breyfogle, when I was just starting out reading. Like Sal Buscema over on Spider-Man, Aparo was an artist who's work went back to the 70's, and who's art style was sturdy and reliable, with figures that had weight and action sequences that contained impact.

So many great Aparo images to choose from, but I would love to have this image from Batman 432, minus the lettering, stamped on a T-shirt:

Greg Capullo: In age where you've seen just about every style of Batman over the years, Capullo continues to innovate and impress. Quite simply, I've found his work on the New 52 title to be absolutely brilliant. His layout, composition and storytelling choices are superb, his take on Batman is elemental (as in it's the perfect accumulation of all the different eras of Batman), and his renditions of the villains, particularly Joker, are perfectly horrifying. I don't want to overstate this, but Capullo may very well prove to be the best artist to ever have an extended run on Batman.

Extraordinary Member

I really don't get the Capullo thing. But why Alan Davis and John Byrne aren't on this list is beyond me.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'd have a hard time voting for an artist who is just as good and definitive with another character, but Davis is quite up there. But above him I'd place Matt Wagner, and for a personally Batman associated artist, I'd pick Jerry Bingham.

It's tough to pick a definitive all-time great but right now it's hard for me to say anyone other than Capullo. I may be a little emotionally biased since he's the current artist and so his work is currently so fresh in my mind. However, Capullo has been so consistently great through his run and only seems to get better with time. I'm going to be very sad when he's no longer the one bringing Gotham to life.

I also love Jim Lee's Batman. I know some criticize him for sort of defining that DC "house" style but he draws a beautiful Batman. The only reason I ever truly want to revisit Hush or All-Star Batman & Robin is to see his work again.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I went with David Mazzucchelli because he's the artist of YEAR ONE and I prefer clean lines and simplicity against overdetailed Jim Lee art. I like Jim Lee and Capullo, though.
    I wouldn't be able to decide between Mazzucchelli, Cam Stewart, Darwyn Cooke or Frank Quitely to be honest.

Honorary mention is Neal Adams and Alan Davis.

The list for artists I don't like is probably shorter .... but Mazzucchelli
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 01-10-2016 at 12:47 AM.

Marshall Rogers. A good Batman artist should be able to handle urban set pieces and architecture realistically and with the perfect sense of drama. Rogers studied architecture before becoming an artist for DC.
    http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...4-104539AM.jpg

Exhibit A
    Exhibit B
    Exhibit C

The matter is settled

BANNED

nepenthes your "EXibit C" is not showing up???
    .................................................. ....................................
    I am for airbrush, shading, value and representational usage of shapes. But if I can't follow the comic or see those common shapes associated with the characters, I get extremely lost. Half of those pages are just empty dialogs with space, and you can't even make heads or tails of the location or what is occurring. It is like an extreme action scene that is occurring and there is no contrast or representation.

The printing process shouldn't even matter, because all your doing is catering to a dedicated audience that permits it to exist. In fact I was following a magazine for awhile and they stopped printing. They returned with an issue, but the paper quality was not so hot. Reason is that a couple of issues back they used superior paper and had to make up for there lost.

Personally from my experience ( which is limited ). Every single piece of artwork ranging from the release of the 1989-1993 movies up till the point the comic itself started getting too abstract, was the best artwork for Batman. In my opinion Batman sells for the popularity of it, not for the content.

Thanks for the imagery also,

Rogers , Adams , Aparo and Capullo in that order.

BANNED

Really good to see the variety of responses here.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I really don't get the Capullo thing. But why Alan Davis and John Byrne aren't on this list is beyond me.
    Hi--I did consider Bryne, but as the poll creation only limits one to 15 choices, I wanted to hit on creators that had lasting, impactful runs. Miller / Mazzucchelli, while their contributions are comparatively short, have become so synounomous with Batman that I kinda had to include them. Davis is a bit of an oversight on my part.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by taylortexas View Post

I also love Jim Lee's Batman. I know some criticize him for sort of defining that DC "house" style but he draws a beautiful Batman. The only reason I ever truly want to revisit Hush or All-Star Batman & Robin is to see his work again.
    Same here. I love Lee's Batman.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Incredible Member

I am very shallow, and low things like Jim Lee with nice shiny paper and bright colours.
    I'm sure if the same technology and quality stuff was on 70s/80s writers it'd look amazing to me, but for me its Lee/Capullo and that sort, then also Matt Wagner. I wish Wagner did more, I feel like we don't have enough.

Spectacular Member

Gonna go with.........in order

Capullo
    Lee
    McFarlane