Super Moderator

Default EXCLUSIVE: Neal Adams Brings Doom to "Invincible Iron Man" #6 Variant

Comics legend Neal Adams illustrates the main players of Brian Michael Bendis and Mike Deodato's "Invincible Iron Man" #6 in a new variant cover.

Full article here.

To me Neal Adams art has fallen off badly over the years.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    To me Neal Adams art has fallen off badly over the years.
    The guy is in his seventies. Of course his art is going to fall off some.

Incredible Member

In my opinion at 70 he is still better than most of today's artists.

Is MJ holding a "neck massager" in her hand?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Neal Adams drawing Doom hasn't happened before that I can recall. Too bad it's ANAD Doom It looks like he's giving Tony moose antlers.

I know that technically it doesn't make any sense, but putting a "mouth" on Iron Man's mask allowed the character to imitate expressions (even though the mouth was always the same). In my opinion this is the worst Iron Man armor ever designed (it couldn't be less cool).

This:

Compared to this:

About Neal Adams' cover, I love the way he draws Iron Man gauntlet.
    Last edited by Uncanny; 01-10-2016 at 08:57 AM. Reason: To show both designs

Neal Adams is one of my absolute favorite artists, His work on Batman and X-Men was amazing. I agree his new work doesn't compare to what he did in his prime, but it isn't bad. I wouldn't really think twice about that cover (good or bad) if he wasn't the artist.

I agree w/ Uncanny about the new armor. Comic artists often change the shape of the mouth or eyes of a mask for effect. Iron Man's new armor does look kind of boring.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel/DC Fan View Post
    In my opinion at 70 he is still better than most of today's artists.
    I wouldn't go as far as to say ''most'' but definitely ''some''.

His art is pretty good, of course at 70 it's not going to be as good as when he was at his prime but it's still good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDog View Post
    The guy is in his seventies. Of course his art is going to fall off some.
    Just giving my opinion. Also there are other artist that are old that have gotten better.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

For example?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    For example?
    Brian Bolland and Dave Gibbons

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny View Post
    I know that technically it doesn't make any sense, but putting a "mouth" on Iron Man's mask allowed the character to imitate expressions (even though the mouth was always the same). In my opinion this is the worst Iron Man armor ever designed (it couldn't be less cool).

This:

Compared to this:

About Neal Adams' cover, I love the way he draws Iron Man gauntlet.
    I don't love the armor but its certainly not the worst one, it's just a slightly more angular version of the Extremis armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Brian Bolland and Dave Gibbons
    Good picks, but to be a bit of a nitpicker - they are both around 8-10 years younger than Adams if I'm not mistaken.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

To the Adams naysayers, I say this: you're not wrong, and yet you're wrong.

Have a gander at his page on Facebook. The stuff he produces for conventions, and the commissions he does? They're PHENOMENAL, arguably the best work he's ever done. That's because he takes his time and does it right, and for the prices he charges for original art, he'd better.

His covers (and worse yet, his interior art)? Awful. And that's because he just craps them out, knowing people will buy them because he's Neal freaking Adams. He's even admitted that he rushes his work for Marvel and DC. But when he actually puts time and effort into a project, it's glorious.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000