Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would you buy an Alfred miniseries?

I'm picturing either a flashback miniseries dealing with his time in special forces, that somehow ties into a modern Batman mystery. Maybe dealing with some of the backstory with Julia.

OR a modern day Alfred adventure, where he takes on a case by himself when Bruce is otherwise occupied. Seeing Alfred interact with other superheroes could be fun.

Thoughts?

I've been hanging out for a Pennyworth book for way too long - there's so much to cover and such an obvious through-line to tap and explore. Alfred's commitment to Bruce and to Gotham is a culmination of a life's work of consistent principle. Of service to his brothers-in-arms as a medical officer; to Queen & Country as an MI6 agent; to the hearts and minds of his fellow man in Shakespearean theatre; service to his father in honoring the family trade; service to the Wayne Family and Foundation and a myriad of philanthropic duties. To an orphaned boy consumed by rage and despair.

There's a reason why only this guy could've had the grit and the heart and the wits to save that kid over and over and over throughout the years, and then be the bedrock of a radical, maniacal and utterly singular human endeavour. His final legacy is a service that would annihilate body and soul any other man who tried. He's been doing it his entire life.
    Last edited by nepenthes; 01-10-2016 at 04:15 AM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Shut up and take my money

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    I've been hanging out for a Pennyworth book for way too long - there's so much to cover and such an obvious through-line to tap and explore. Alfred's commitment to Bruce and to Gotham is a culmination of a life's work of consistent principle. Of service to his brothers-in-arms as a medical officer; to Queen & Country as an MI6 agent; to the hearts and minds of his fellow man in Shakespearean theatre; service to his father in honoring the family trade; service to the Wayne Family and Foundation and a myriad of philanthropic duties. To an orphaned boy consumed by rage and despair.

There's a reason why only this guy could've had the grit and the heart and the wits to save that kid over and over and over throughout the years, and then be the bedrock of a radical, maniacal and utterly singular human endeavour. His final legacy is a service that would annihilate body and soul any other man who tried. He's been doing it his entire life.
    Man, that should be the blurb on the back of the trade collection!

The phrase 'Queen & Country' makes me think that Greg Rucka would be the ideal person to write this, if he'd ever work for DC again.

Incredible Member

Alfred as he is now? No.

A mini about Alfred in his early days, or maybe one where Wayne Manor is under attack and he has to use all his old skills to Home Alone it? Absolutely.

Wouldn't mind a mini about Alfred's actions and thoughts during Batman: Year One.

Quote Originally Posted by HellHere View Post
    Alfred as he is now? No.

A mini about Alfred in his early days, or maybe one where Wayne Manor is under attack and he has to use all his old skills to Home Alone it? Absolutely.
    Like the man said take my money.

Extraordinary Member

I've had a thought of Alfred immediately after the Waynes' murder being warned by Detective Slam Bradley that someone may be trying to kill Bruce as well. And I'm picturing this as a bit less tidied up Alfred; not so much the valet or butler, still dressed nice and polite, but someone who very recently left British Intelliegence and who's only recently started up a permanent employment with the family. So he's more family friend thanks to his dad's work with the family and his body guarding for Thomas a few years ago. So picture an Alfred trying to simulataneously take custody for his murdered good friend's kid while also tracking down some hit put out on the kid tied to the name "Moxin."
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

BANNED

There's already enough Batbooks and Alfred the mini would really be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Incredible Member

If it was good.
    I'd buy anything if it was actually good.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    There's already enough Batbooks and Alfred the mini would really be scraping the bottom of the barrel.
    Blasphemy!!! Boo to you, sir. Boo. I'd rather kill 2-3 robins and 1-2 batgirls if we need room for Alfie

The BTAS episode Forever Young comes to mind. Give Alfred friends and something to do after grocery shopping. Well for the 20 minutes a month he has free time. Bruce allows him that much. As long as stories are not about his military time and more about him being a detective or flashbacks to his acting days. Do we need an appreciation thread?

Normal Alfred? Nahhhh.

Alfred from the Gotham show... That could be pretty awesome. I'll admit that it took a while to get used to the rough and tumble Alfred... but he's now my favorite part of it.

He's one of my favourite characters in comics, but I love him as a sarcastic Batman character. I'm not sure that I'm interested in a solo Alfred story - and I tend to not like stories that go into his army/acting background, beyond his medic skills.

That said if they were going to do a young Alfred story, Garth Ennis could probably pull it off.

Great idea really. Garth Ennis - that would be fun :-)