Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Great to hear Death Vigil will continue!
    Give me Brexit or give me death.

Quote Originally Posted by nebezial View Post
    death vigil will continue but due to it's underperforming sales i'm using sunstone profits to pretty much fund death vigil book 2 and later on ravine book 3
    Will have to check this out, I loved Sunstone.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by nebezial View Post
    death vigil will continue but due to it's underperforming sales i'm using sunstone profits to pretty much fund death vigil book 2 and later on ravine book 3
    Great news !!!!
    I hope that sales will improve. Sunstone is very good sign

Hello and Happy New Year to everyone,

I wonder if anyone can help me - I've ordered Saga Deluxe edition from Amazon and when I've opened it - it sounded like the glue was coming off. Not know what to think of it, but I took pictures of the spine - if anyone who has this edition can help me, compare it with theirs and let me know so I can ask for a replacement. Is this spine ok? You can see through the spine....

Thanks in the advance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ddak; 01-11-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ddak View Post
    Hello and Happy New Year to everyone,

I wonder if anyone can help me - I've ordered Saga Deluxe edition from Amazon and when I've opened it - it sounded like the glue was coming off. Not know what to think of it, but I took pictures of the spine - if anyone who has this edition can help me, compare it with theirs and let me know so I can ask for a replacement. Is this spine ok? You can see through the spine....

Thanks in the advance
    Yes, it is supposed to do that. It's a very good sewn binding and the separation of the ribbon from the cover spine is what allows the page blocks to flex up and the pages to lay as flat as possible to prevent gutter loss. The best of bindings will also allow the book to stay open on every single page when layed open on a table without having to be held open. For example, Marvel omnibus and oversized hardcovers, DC Absolute Editions, and Dark Horse Library Editions have outstanding bindings, usually.

Spectacular Member

I'll second Brian's assessment. That binding looks perfectly fine and normal. That's the way it should be!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2Staples View Post
    Yes, it is supposed to do that. It's a very good sewn binding and the separation of the ribbon from the cover spine is what allows the page blocks to flex up and the pages to lay as flat as possible to prevent gutter loss. The best of bindings will also allow the book to stay open on every single page when layed open on a table without having to be held open. For example, Marvel omnibus and oversized hardcovers, DC Absolute Editions, and Dark Horse Library Editions have outstanding bindings, usually.
    I had an edition like this that I ended up returning. While I thought this might be normal, I also noticed that when sitting upright on the shelf, the page block would sit at an angle and rest on the shelf instead of the cover. I kept thinking that in a few years the block would tear away from the cover as it's held in by just paper. No matter how great it's sewn, the block needs to remain in the cover to BE a HC. Sadly, this experience has prevented me from getting any other deluxes from Image.
    My $.02

/\ This is a common thing with most HCs tbh.
    A good tip is to place a thing strip of card under the block to prevent it from sagging and pulling away from the top of the spine.

I don't believe I saw this mentioned but yay, Velvet Deluxe HC! I have Fatale 1&2 and The Fade Out and this would make such a nice addition.

Previews Catalog
    Image Comics

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JussD50 View Post
    I had an edition like this that I ended up returning. While I thought this might be normal, I also noticed that when sitting upright on the shelf, the page block would sit at an angle and rest on the shelf instead of the cover. I kept thinking that in a few years the block would tear away from the cover as it's held in by just paper. No matter how great it's sewn, the block needs to remain in the cover to BE a HC. Sadly, this experience has prevented me from getting any other deluxes from Image.
    My $.02
    Any high-page-count HC will do that. Literally all of my Marvel and DC omnibuses do that. Even the notoriously well-built Dark Horse collections do that. My Fear Agent books block sunk within 3-4 months. It's so notorious an issue with large HCs that in the Marvel thread back in the day we talked about cutting up post-it notes to wedge under the block to keep it from sagging. That said, it's better to store these books vertically and deal with a little sag than to store them horizontally and ruin the spines.
    Last edited by TheManInBlack; 02-19-2017 at 12:50 AM.

Fantastic Member

I've switched to storing all my big books horizontally on the shelves. It's a bit of a pain to take books off the shelf if they have 3 or 4 others on top, but it's nice to see that all the wavey page and saggy book block issues have completely dissappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    I've switched to storing all my big books horizontally on the shelves. It's a bit of a pain to take books off the shelf if they have 3 or 4 others on top, but it's nice to see that all the wavey page and saggy book block issues have completely dissappeared.
    Just took a look at my bookshelf...lo and behold Big Damn Sin Sity is pulling away. Thinking on it I should've known better! I've also just now quickly rearranged my bookshelf to lay all HCs horizontally...doesn't look as "neat" bur preservation will prevail.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by comicfiend View Post
    Just took a look at my bookshelf...lo and behold Big Damn Sin Sity is pulling away. Thinking on it I should've known better! I've also just now quickly rearranged my bookshelf to lay all HCs horizontally...doesn't look as "neat" bur preservation will prevail.
    Conventional wisdom and hundreds of years of common practice show that storing books horizontally is far more damaging to the book than vertical storage, and horizontal storage gets exponentially worse the more weight you put on top of the book which can cause major damage to the spine over time. This is one of the reasons everyone from libraries to book stores universally store books in a vertical position. Extremely large and heavy books MAY benefit from horizontal storage, but only if you stack a maximum of 2 or 3 per pile.

The best way to store these books is to shelve them vertically, not too tight and not too loose, so they are supported by one another and not leaning, but not pressed together so hard that they damage the spine and cause shelf wear when a book is removed from the shelf. It is best to keep similar sized books next to each other, not interspersed with smaller ones (like putting a trade between too omnibuses) because this puts differing pressure along the cover boards and spine at different heights. The signatures and the crash they are stitched to will pull forward or 'sag' a little over time, and this is perfectly normal. It's far preferable to doing actual damage to the spine by storing too many books horizontally.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
    Conventional wisdom and hundreds of years of common practice show that storing books horizontally is far more damaging to the book than vertical storage, and horizontal storage gets exponentially worse the more weight you put on top of the book which can cause major damage to the spine over time. This is one of the reasons everyone from libraries to book stores universally store books in a vertical position. Extremely large and heavy books MAY benefit from horizontal storage, but only if you stack a maximum of 2 or 3 per pile.

The best way to store these books is to shelve them vertically, not too tight and not too loose, so they are supported by one another and not leaning, but not pressed together so hard that they damage the spine and cause shelf wear when a book is removed from the shelf. It is best to keep similar sized books next to each other, not interspersed with smaller ones (like putting a trade between too omnibuses) because this puts differing pressure along the cover boards and spine at different heights. The signatures and the crash they are stitched to will pull forward or 'sag' a little over time, and this is perfectly normal. It's far preferable to doing actual damage to the spine by storing too many books horizontally.
    I wouldn't say that's true. I read up before I made the change and quite a few libraries and book preservation groups recommend storing large volumes horizontally. Now that's of course with the caveat that you not stack them too high (as you noted). No more than a few volumes in a pile...and one thing I noticed was that - for books that have fairly thin pages such as newer Marvel Omni's - the pages that were wavy stored vertically have straightened out and look perfect now. I'm talking here about Library Editions and Omnibuses primarily...

Mighty Member

Was mentioned on the collected editions board, thought i'd post here as well. Deluxe editions have popped up on Amazon for the following:

https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Bast...n%3A7421493011

https://www.amazon.com/Luther-Strode...n%3A7421493011

https://www.amazon.com/Low-Book-One-...n%3A7421493011

https://www.amazon.com/Goddamned-Ove...n%3A7421493011