Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Image Hardcover Deluxe Editions

I am increasingly beginning to believe these Image deluxe editions are the best way to read Image books. The delays in long wait times between issues in a number of books is becoming a bit aggravating, plus seeing the art on oversized pages is a real treat. The tough thing is figuring out which series will get the hardcover treatment. Lazarus, East of West, Saga, etc. are obvious. But what about the likes of The Wicked and The Divine, Descender, and Velvet? Does Image have a certain criteria for putting out hardcovers of their books that anyone has been able to glean? Is it based purely on sales numbers?

Also, does anyone who does read the hardcovers worry that only the first volume of a series will get a hardcover? In other words, we know Rat Queens, Peter Panzerfaust, and Sex Criminals got hardcovers. But will they get a second volume in hardcovers?

I read so many Image books that I don't really notice the delays all that much.

I'd still love to have Deluxe HC Edition of every book I read though. Just can't afford it.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    But what about the likes of The Wicked and The Divine

This is getting one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wicked-Divin...dp/1632157284/

I love a good hard cover but I have to know the whole series will be collected in that format before I commit to it. I buy The Walking Dead in HC because I know the whole series will be collected in that format.

Id be surprised if Velvet didnt get one at some point, being Brubaker an' all.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I love a good hard cover but I have to know the whole series will be collected in that format before I commit to it. I buy The Walking Dead in HC because I know the whole series will be collected in that format.
    I'm the same way. The thought of collecting a bunch of hardcovers only to have the series stop coming out in that format gives me heart palpitations.
    Last edited by Detox; 01-10-2016 at 01:10 PM.

Mighty Member

I am increasingly beginning to believe these Image deluxe editions are the best way to read Image books. The delays in long wait times between issues in a number of books is becoming a bit aggravating, plus seeing the art on oversized pages is a real treat. The tough thing is figuring out which series will get the hardcover treatment. Lazarus, East of West, Saga, etc. are obvious. But what about the likes of The Wicked and The Divine, Descender, and Velvet? Does Image have a certain criteria for putting out hardcovers of their books that anyone has been able to glean? Is it based purely on sales numbers?

Also, does anyone who does read the hardcovers worry that only the first volume of a series will get a hardcover? In other words, we know Rat Queens, Peter Panzerfaust, and Sex Criminals got hardcovers. But will they get a second volume in hardcovers?
    Lol, if you hate the wait on the singles wait until you switch to HC's. Like another poster said, if they even finish the series in HC is a gamble, and any monthly delay seems to exponentially affect the HC release dates. With that said, it's still my preferred format, but I'd probably only risk it with the most popular of image titles, or popular creators.

I much prefer owning HCs these days. Singles (and even 4-5 issue trades) look awful on a bookshelf and are burdens to store.

The only Image Comic that I read that I worry about getting a HC is Kaptara. Shutter might be nice but I'm getting tired of its constant and erratic game changers. But heck, if Wayward got one (a title I love by the way, I just don't hear much talk about it) then there's hope for Kaptara.

I'm going to buy the tpb's to keep up to date with the story, buy the HC when they get released then hopefully sell the trades or just give them away. The only worry i have like everyone else is will HC be continually getting released.

Incredible Member

I feel fairly confident that we can figure out which comics will get continuing hardcovers. Saga, East of West and Lazarus will almost certainly continue to get hardcovers (wish saga and east of west hardcovers weren't so big though). The Wicked and the Divine and Black Science will likely be ok for ongoing hardcovers. Same with Southern Bastards, anything by brubaker is probably, Casanova, Revival, and Morning Glories.

On the negative side, my guess is Peter Panzerfaust, Rat Queens, and Five Ghosts are not safe. Of course I hope I'm wrong.

I feel fairly confident that we can figure out which comics will get continuing hardcovers. Saga, East of West and Lazarus will almost certainly continue to get hardcovers (wish saga and east of west hardcovers weren't so big though). The Wicked and the Divine and Black Science will likely be ok for ongoing hardcovers. Same with Southern Bastards, anything by brubaker is probably, Casanova, Revival, and Morning Glories.

On the negative side, my guess is Peter Panzerfaust, Rat Queens, and Five Ghosts are not safe. Of course I hope I'm wrong.
    See, I prefer those larger size books. I don't think a book warrants a hardcover until it's at 15+ issues. I saw the solicits for an "Airboy Deluxe HC", and chuckled to myself.

All-New Member

I would love a HC for Velvet! But, at this point I am more concerned with the single issues being released more frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
    See, I prefer those larger size books. I don't think a book warrants a hardcover until it's at 15+ issues. I saw the solicits for an "Airboy Deluxe HC", and chuckled to myself.
    I'd agree. Bigger the better for me personally

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noob_Nathan View Post
    I'd agree. Bigger the better for me personally
    I guess for me I like the somewhat slimmer hardcovers (around 10 issues) because they are easier to hold when I'm laying in bed and they come out more frequently.

Spectacular Member

I really, REALLY want to buy 'Low' in an oversized HC. That art demands to be oversized.