Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What is the most divisive Spider-Man story?

In another discussion, I suggested that Maximum Carnage might be the most divisive Spider-Man story ever, since some people really like it and some people really hate it. On the other hand, since the story didn't have any long-lasting consequences, it's an easy tale to ignore for someone who didn't care for it.

So, that leads to the question: What is the most divisive Spider-Man story? And if you're not sure, what are ther stories that should be in the discussion? Keep in mind that this is about the reception to a story more than the quality.

One More Day would probably come up, given the disagreement about whether Marvel made the right call in undoing the marriage. However, the opposition does seem to be stronger than the praise.

The Clone Saga was controversial, although I'd hesitate to compare something that lasted 100+ issues to shorter storylines. Two particular arcs from the era do come to mind. "The Trial of Peter Parker" revealed that Ben Reilly was the real Spider-Man, and had Peter smack his wife. "Revelations" killed off Ben Reilly, brought back Norman Osborn, killed off Peter and MJ's unborn child, and revealed that Peter Parker was the real Spider-Man after all, decisions that not all fans agree with.

There were a lot of angry responses to "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" something that is generally acknowledged as a highlight of the Spider-Man comics.

"Dying Wish" upset some readers, although much of that was due to readers not knowing where the story was going.

The Amazing Spider-Man film relaunch has detractors and supporters.

Which of these was the most divisive, and what else comes to mind?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Superior Spider-Man

People like it because it's something fresh, others hate it because of that, others hate the main character acting edgy and killing bad guys, while others like him for it and so on.

BANNED

Sins Past -I....I can barely say the words........

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    In another discussion, I suggested that Maximum Carnage might be the most divisive Spider-Man story ever, since some people really like it and some people really hate it. On the other hand, since the story didn't have any long-lasting consequences, it's an easy tale to ignore for someone who didn't care for it.

So, that leads to the question: What is the most divisive Spider-Man story? And if you're not sure, what are ther stories that should be in the discussion? Keep in mind that this is about the reception to a story more than the quality.

One More Day would probably come up, given the disagreement about whether Marvel made the right call in undoing the marriage. However, the opposition does seem to be stronger than the praise.

The Clone Saga was controversial, although I'd hesitate to compare something that lasted 100+ issues to shorter storylines. Two particular arcs from the era do come to mind. "The Trial of Peter Parker" revealed that Ben Reilly was the real Spider-Man, and had Peter smack his wife. "Revelations" killed off Ben Reilly, brought back Norman Osborn, killed off Peter and MJ's unborn child, and revealed that Peter Parker was the real Spider-Man after all, decisions that not all fans agree with.

There were a lot of angry responses to "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" something that is generally acknowledged as a highlight of the Spider-Man comics.

"Dying Wish" upset some readers, although much of that was due to readers not knowing where the story was going.

The Amazing Spider-Man film relaunch has detractors and supporters.

Which of these was the most divisive, and what else comes to mind?
    Can you repost this as a poll?

You asked the question - what is the most divisive Spider-Man story, not which stories do fans despise.

Then I have to think of which situations I would take up arms against my Spider-Fan brothers in a geek civil war.

My thoughts:

1 - the McFarlane Spider-Man self titled. Writing was horrid. Art was great.
    2 - Peter Parker should be allowed to grow up v. Peter Parker should not be allowed to grow up (OMD)
    3 - The return of Norman Osborn was awesome - ending of the Clone Saga.
    4 - insert your own
    I love comics and make art. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ARose...9658123?ref=hl

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

Gotta agree with Beorg
    Spock was even voted the favourite non-PP spider in the other thread.
    "I can talk to spiders"
    - Kaine Parker

Seems like it might have been ASM Annual #21. Simple little story, really, but look at all the year of fervor that resulted. Multiple attempts to undo it, some quite elaborate, along with a ton of fan opinion on both sides (marriage and single).

Finally Marvel actually did undo the issue itself. What other stories have there been where Marvel found them so controversial that they just re-did them differently. Not alot.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Indirectly, I'd say it's ASM Annual #4. The implications of Peter having heroism in his blood had far-reaching consequences, though they weren't seen at the time. Even Stan Lee seems to have acknowledged his 'mistake,' if you'd call it that, since he never returned to the idea. The storyline even features Peter leading a heat seeking missile toward a bad guy's car, something which begs the question of whether Pete's kill record is really at zero before Spider-Man vs. Wolverine. And it fed into the robo-parents story, which fed into the Clone Saga, which fed into...well, you get the idea.

Is Peter really a normal guy? Nah, his parents are Mr. and Mrs. Bond!

Is Pete okay with offing baddies? Sure, as long as he doesn't have to get his hands dirty!

BANNED

Superior Spider-Man split our happy little community in two, and the two sides have stayed apart to this day, mostly. I loved it, but there are some that still
    get angry every time it's brought up and will never forgive Dan Slott. One More Day has also produced that type of division, where so many people take it personally
    that another argument might be as viable as their position is.

Quote Originally Posted by arosenbarger View Post
    Can you repost this as a poll?

You asked the question - what is the most divisive Spider-Man story, not which stories do fans despise.

Then I have to think of which situations I would take up arms against my Spider-Fan brothers in a geek civil war.

My thoughts:

1 - the McFarlane Spider-Man self titled. Writing was horrid. Art was great.
    2 - Peter Parker should be allowed to grow up v. Peter Parker should not be allowed to grow up (OMD)
    3 - The return of Norman Osborn was awesome - ending of the Clone Saga.
    4 - insert your own
    Part of the reason I didn't want to do a poll is that I'm not sure what the choices are going to be. I'm curious about the options that I haven't thought about (hell, I left out Sins Past, which would be inexcusable in a poll.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Sins Past. The only comics I have bought that ended up in the trash.

Astonishing Member

Amazing Spider Man Annual 21.

The Clone Saga of the 90s.

The Dissambled story arc in Spectacular Spider Man that had Spidey geting the organic web powers.

The Other crossover story arc that had Spidey getting even more powers.

Disassembled and The Other aren't that divisive. The fandom is mostly agreed that those stories weren't very good.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Amazing Member

Hated Sins Past but despised OMD. Heroes don't make deals with the Devil.

I think it has to be OMD that is the most divisive. I think most will agree that Clone Saga was too long and had too many twists and turns. Maximum Carnage was just one long action scene, but I would say it was divisive with fans.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtalisker18 View Post
    Hated Sins Past but despised OMD. Heroes don't make deals with the Devil.
    Amen. It's Sins Past or OMD. Both are pretty despised.

Both achieved giving other previous stories (Clone Saga, etc) a break, a reprieve in the dislike department.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-13-2016 at 06:57 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”