Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Default Alex Garcia's Rendition of WW's Top 3 Villains

From Alex Garcia's blog:

Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Absolutely beautiful work of art

BANNED

Did Alex label them her top 3 villains or did you pick one of Alex's art pieces and label them her top 3 villains? Clearly, one Dr. Psycho is missing, but, most would not include Circe in the mix. I'd guess that most people would probably have Cheetah, Ares, and Giganta, even though Dr. Psycho is clearly her number 1 rarely mentioned arch-nemesis. The art does look nice.

Quote Originally Posted by dshipp17 View Post
    Did Alex label them her top 3 villains or did you pick one of Alex's art pieces and label them her top 3 villains? Clearly, one Dr. Psycho is missing, but, most would not include Circe in the mix. I'd guess that most people would probably have Cheetah, Ares, and Giganta, even though Dr. Psycho is clearly her number 1 rarely mentioned arch-nemesis. The art does look nice.

I chose the labeling for this piece of art, not based on my personal preferences but from the impression I've gotten from the WW fandom over the years. My personal top 3 WW villains would be Cheetah, Giganta, & Dr. Poison. I don't mind Circe and Ares appearing occasionally but they're not in my top 3 or even top 10. I do however think that if Alex had drawn WW's top 5 villains, Dr. Psycho and Giganta would have made the cut.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

This is gorgeous. The three of them never looked better than when Perez was drawing them, and I love how he's utilizing that style. Too bad none of them look like this anymore (Circe's got that whole Pipi Long Stocking from Hell thing going on now and Cheetah is sometimes drawn with what looks like jaguar patterns instead of spots).

Quote Originally Posted by dshipp17 View Post
    While I have some affection for that evil little bastard, there's no way Psycho outranks Circe. Many fans consider her the arch nemesis over Cheetah and Ares, let alone Psycho.

BANNED

Agreed, it does look very good and very Perez-y.

And no, the title is not wrong. 2 of characters featured are her most powerful and persistent enemies and the 3rd is the generally agreed upon arch-nemesis that's fought Diana more times than any other.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Agreed, it does look very good and very Perez-y.

And no, the title is not wrong. 2 of characters featured are her most powerful and persistent enemies and the 3rd is the generally agreed upon arch-nemesis that's fought Diana more times than any other.

May I quote on you on this in the future?

If Ares does return to his villainous glory sometime soon, I think it would be interesting to see a war between him and Circe with Diana caught in the middle just for fun.

Incredible Member

I really like the image, but Ares' cape being purple throws me a bit, as does the dome-haired Super Friends-ish Diana in the background. Her Perez hair was a bit more wild, so this makes me go "hun?"

But still - awesome image! I love seeing her "classic" (in my eyes anyway) look get some love!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    May I quote on you on this in the future?

If Ares does return to his villainous glory sometime soon, I think it would be interesting to see a war between him and Circe with Diana caught in the middle just for fun.
    You may... but then again all I am repeating is the generally perception of the trio

Think you'd need a reboot or a massive amount of changes to the current versions to make that happen. Circe as she is now (the Tomasi version) seemed to have little motivation for anything but going after the Amazons. Ares, makes me wonder why he'd pick a fight with her when she generally seems to be doing what he wants people to be doing, in the classic sense that is.

However: I could have seen the two getting into a fight over Lyta, whom I seem to recall Ares showed up to collect from Themysicra... whatever happened to her anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I really like the image, but Ares' cape being purple throws me a bit, as does the dome-haired Super Friends-ish Diana in the background. Her Perez hair was a bit more wild, so this makes me go "hun?"

But still - awesome image! I love seeing her "classic" (in my eyes anyway) look get some love!
    I think thats supposed to be Diana in a crystal ball.

Circe outranks Psycho? I must not have been buying the book during her heyday. I know Jimenez used her in a big story. I think Simone used her, too. Nothing else comes to mind. What are her notable arcs? I can think of many more Dr. Psycho tales.

(Forgive my ignorance if she is prominent in the nu52, but I'm not reading any of those books.)
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Circe outranks Psycho? I must not have been buying the book during her heyday. I know Jimenez used her in a big story. I think Simone used her, too. Nothing else comes to mind. What are her notable arcs? I can think of many more Dr. Psycho tales.

(Forgive my ignorance if she is prominent in the nu52, but I'm not reading any of those books.)
    Well, she was the Big Bad of Perez's run, culminating in the "War of the Gods." I think she played a pretty big role in the Loebs run, and Morrison had her as part of his Injustice Gang (where she did nothing, but hey, she was there). And then there's the Jimenez and Rucka runs, and all the godawful stories she appeared in in volume 3.

I'd say Psycho is definitely #4. He's been around longer than Circe (her Golden/Silver Age counterparts didn't appear that often), but since post-Crisis she's been used more consistently and in bigger stories. Not that most of them are actually good...but neither are Psycho's.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Well, she was the Big Bad of Perez's run, culminating in the "War of the Gods." I think she played a pretty big role in the Loebs run, and Morrison had her as part of his Injustice Gang (where she did nothing, but hey, she was there). And then there's the Jimenez and Rucka runs, and all the godawful stories she appeared in in volume 3.

I'd say Psycho is definitely #4. He's been around longer than Circe (her Golden/Silver Age counterparts didn't appear that often), but since post-Crisis she's been used more consistently and in bigger stories. Not that most of them are actually good...but neither are Psycho's.
    Oh...well, I never finished Perez's run and I only read a couple of Loeb's issues. I guess that's why she doesn't stand out to me. I did read Rucka, but don't remember her. I'm getting old.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Oh...well, I never finished Perez's run and I only read a couple of Loeb's issues. I guess that's why she doesn't stand out to me. I did read Rucka, but don't remember her. I'm getting old.
    Well in Rucka she mostly just helps out the Gorgons and teams up with Veronica Cale to get Lyta back or something. You're not getting old, she just gets swallowed up in everything else that's going on.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I think, actually, that her wild-ish hair is cut off in the image because the image of Diana is in a giant crystal ball, and it's a close-up of her face.

Incredible Member

I'm not as crazy about wonder-weave Circe, but I like how muscular & sinewy Cheetah is.