View Poll Results: Who do you consider to be Peter's Arch Enemy?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Green Goblin

58 87.88%
  • Dr. Octopus

8 12.12%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

Default Who do you conisder to be Spider-Man's Arch Enemy?

Over the years we've always considered the Green Goblin to be Spider-Man's Arch Enemy but ever since Dan Slott took over writing SM, he tried to make Dock Ock his Arch Enemy. In some ways he's the Anti- Spider-Man considering how he has a lot of similarities to each other with only difference that Peter had a loving aunt and uncle while Otto had an abusive father and an overprotective mother.

On Green Goblin's side...
    1. He killed Gwen Stacy
    2. Knocked up Gwen and Lily
    3. Buried Peter's Aunt May and almost recreated Gwen's death except this time with MJ.
    4. Took control of SHIELD and recreated into Hammer.
    5. Forming his own Goblin cult.

On Dr. Octopus's side...
    1. He accidentally killed George Stacy.
    2. He formed the Sinister Six
    3. Almost destroyed earth's population so he would live on in Infamy.
    4. He mind switched Peter's mind and as slow burn, left him to die in his own body.
    5. He nearly mind wiped Peter's memories and bastardized his legacy.

Who do you think is his Arch Enemy. Goblin or Dock Ock.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I know a lot of people will say Doc Ock. Maybe even saying that Normie isn't really that relevant nowadays but for me Normie is the number one arch nemesis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post
    Over the years we've always considered the Green Goblin to be Spider-Man's Arch Enemy but ever since Dan Slott took over writing SM, he tried to make Dock Ock his Arch Enemy. In some ways he's the Anti- Spider-Man considering how he has a lot of similarities to each other with only difference that Peter had a loving aunt and uncle while Otto had an abusive father and an overprotective mother.

1. He killed Gwen Stacy
    3. Buried Peter's Aunt May and almost recreated Gwen's death except this time with MJ.

On Dr. Octopus's side...
    1. He accidentally killed George Stacy.
    2. He formed the Sinister Six
    3. Almost destroyed earth's population so he would live on in Infamy.
    4. He mind switched Peter's mind and as slow burn, left him to die in his own body.
    5. He nearly mind wiped Peter's memories and bastardized his legacy.

Who do you think is his Arch Enemy. Goblin or Dock Ock.
    I´m pretty sure that after doing a blood test it turned out that the child was actually Harry´s after all.
    My vote goes to Goblin. While I like Dr. Octopus more I still think The Green Goblin is number 1.

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

Norman Osborn, not the green goblin.
    "I can talk to spiders"
    - Kaine Parker

Mighty Member

I think you make a good point, a few years ago it wouldn't have even been a question, but now it could go either way. The thing that set Norman aside and above in the past was that he was an enemy of Spider-Man AND Peter Parker, whereas Otto only had an impact on Spidey (apart from almost giving Aunt May the business). But now that Otto is in the same boat, it's really debatable.

Gwen may tilt it towards Norman. Peter is one of those people who is hurt more by being the cause of pain to others than he is by being the direct recipient. So while Otto certainly has done plenty of damage towards Peter and Spidey, Norman has hurt the people closest to Peter more (Gwen, MJ, Harry, most prominently).

If Peter was not Spidey, Otto would have never known he existed. But even if Peter was never Spidey, Norman still would have been the guy that abused his best friend and knocked up his high school sweetheart.

Prof. Warren who taught him like a mentor and planned his downfall at the same time, for years, should be on the list. Cloning him. More than once. Cloning Gwen...more than once. Evil. He was also Norman Osborn's psychologist who hypnotized him to remember he was Green Goblin. He has been active as late as Spider Island which he sort of started too.

Jackal.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    Prof. Warren who taught him like a mentor and planned his downfall at the same time, for years, should be on the list. Cloning him. More than once. Cloning Gwen...more than once. Evil. He was also Norman Osborn's psychologist who hypnotized him to remember he was Green Goblin. He has been active as late as Spider Island which he sort of started too.

Jackal.
    He's up there, for sure. I just can't see him as number one, though. Maaaaaybe three, but (and maybe this is the nineties kid in me talking) I might not be able to put him ahead of original, Eddie-Brock Venom.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post

1. He killed Gwen Stacy
    You forgot drunking up Flash Thompson, having him crash directly at Peter's class, killing the class hamster, which left Flash into a coma for quite a while.

But, I don't count Sins Past, or anything One More Day and beyond, nor Osborn as an any other threat other than Spidey's, so let's see:

Goblin
    1. Provided / Engineered Supervillains, starting with Scorcher and Headsman (Untold Tales Spider-Man, Marvel Knights Spider-Man)
    2. Spied on Spider-Man's identity (Amazing Spider-Man 39-40)
    3. Dropped Gwendolyn Stacy off bridge (Amazing Spider-Man 121-122)
    4. Murdered Benjamin Reilly (Spider-Man 75)
    5. Bought Daily Bugle, media going nuts when Spidey socked him on camera (Spectacular Spider-Man, late 1997-late 1998)
    6. Hired Trapster to murder Joey Z / frame Spidey for it (various issues of Peter Parker Spider-Man, late 1997-late 1998)
    7. Flash Thompson's coma (Peter Parker Spider-Man vol.2 44-47)
    8. Buried Aunt May, Sinister Twelve (Marvel Knights Spider-Man)
    Last edited by ngroove; 01-13-2016 at 02:37 AM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Even though Doc Ock has been favored in the more recent years, it's still Norman Osborn IMHO. Hell, I find it telling that he even pulled a Ganon on Otto in Superior Spider-Man.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Green Goblin for a lot of various little reasons. But Doc Ock is certainly a close second.

Green Goblin was just treated as and marketed as his arch enemy for too long. I hated the Lex Luthor-like Norman that returned from the grave, but Green Goblin is still the one.

As someone said (and I added one):
    Goblin
    1. Provided / Engineered Supervillains, starting with Scorcher and Headsman (Untold Tales Spider-Man, Marvel Knights Spider-Man)
    2. Spied on Spider-Man's identity (Amazing Spider-Man 39-40)
    3. Dropped Gwendolyn Stacy off bridge (Amazing Spider-Man 121-122), inadvertently causing Warren to become The Jackal
    4. Masterminded the second Clone Saga (sure it was a retcon, but so what)
    5. Murdered Benjamin Reilly (Spider-Man 75)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-13-2016 at 07:26 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I must admit I thought the poll would be closer than it is for some reason. Still, early days I suppose LOL.

Norman hands down.

And we do not speak of Sins Past

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    I must admit I thought the poll would be closer than it is for some reason. Still, early days I suppose LOL.
    I know right. I'm pretty surprised myself. However I do like some of the reasons as to why people voted that.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Norman Osborn, Otto Octavius and Miles Warren in that order.

Green Goblin, but Doctor Octopus is a close second.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman