View Poll Results: Who do you consider to be Peter's Arch Enemy?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Green Goblin

58 87.88%
  • Dr. Octopus

8 12.12%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

I remember there was a time Venom would have been in the list. I really miss the fact that there was competition between Otto, Norman and the Venom symbiote in this regard.

Welp, atleast competition exists between Otto and Norman.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Kinda interesting that Superior didn't change Ock's status here. Part of it could be that the story ended with Ock realizing that Peter's the better man. That's not something Osborn is likely to realize.
    I think the question gets people thinking in the aggregate and being influenced some by the marketing history and etc. One big recent story/run featuring Ock as more the arch is just not gonna be enough I think (not that Ock doesn't have his own historical aggregating case for being the arch, he does, but Norman...more).

Had Norman remained dead even longer or to this very day, it might be Ock we're all voting for. (Well unless you think a serial publishing superhero can have a permanently dead arch nemesis...some might argue that you can, some will argue you can't as the dead rogue would have to lose his arch nemesis status at some point)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-19-2016 at 09:33 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

iMan 42s

Definitely Norman. Norman is simply so much more of a bastard than Otto who while is still a serious threat, Norman is just evil in comparison to Otto.
    I play a lot of Marvel Heroes and in that while playing as Superior Spider-man you can every so often here Otto talk about "real" villainy. To me that's what Otto is. He is a mentally damaged man who became a super villain and that's what he does. He is a villain. He does bad things but he isn't totally unsalvageable. With all the crap that villains do in the Marvel Universe Otto is up there but him doing good isn't totally unbelievable. Even though he tried to fry the planet...

Norman on the other hand needs a bit of a stretch. Norman isn't a villain, he is Evil. There is this huge line to be drawn between villains and just Evil, and Norman has crossed that line and never looked back. It seems like the Goblin is all he is and while I do blame the writers for not bothering to explore Norman and focus on the Goblin part of him, it doesn't change the fact that he basically is the Green Goblin at this point. There just is no going back for him and that is kind of sad.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

The Green Goblin is Spider-Man's ultimate archnemesis, but Doc Ock is my all-time favorite villain, in large part because I can relate to him but also because he and Peter really are two sides of the same coin. Norman, on the other hand, isn't even in the same piggy bank. He's the polar opposite of Peter Parker--selfish, amoral and ruthless. with a motivation that consists of getting what he wants no matter the cost to others. He fixates on Peter because he wants to break his noble spirit, whereas Ock is just a megalomaniac who's sick of being humiliated.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

Astonishing Member

Norman Osborn.
    And Otto is a close second.
    The rest of the Top 5 Spider Man villains would be
    Venom.
    Jackal.
    Kingpin.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul View Post
    I remember there was a time Venom would have been in the list. I really miss the fact that there was competition between Otto, Norman and the Venom symbiote in this regard.

Welp, atleast competition exists between Otto and Norman.
    Venom is in some ways the biggest threat physically (him or Carnage). But 1) he's a relative newcomer and 2) he's not really a nemesis. He's more of a dark reflection of Spidey. He's also in some ways a bit of a pathetic figure (in the classical sense).

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
    Venom is in some ways the biggest threat physically (him or Carnage). But 1) he's a relative newcomer and 2) he's not really a nemesis. He's more of a dark reflection of Spidey. He's also in some ways a bit of a pathetic figure (in the classical sense).
    Venom's also not a mastermind. He's unlikely to have a big plan against Spider-Man, which is a distinguishing feature of archenemies.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

The way i see it,Doc Ock is Spider-Man's greatest enemy while Green Goblin is Spider-Man's most personal enemy.

Octavius,is a dark reflection of Peter Parker.The science nerd that gone bad.Plus octopus and spider being 8 legged animals which added to the parallel roads of those characters.That's why Otto was perfect as "Superior Spider-Man".

Norman Osborn is a dark Peter Parker.Parker,as Spider-Man,was transformed from a boring geek and unpopular student into a daring and wisecracking super-hero.Norman,when he put on his costumes and gimmick weapons,he left behind the restrictions of being a behind the scenes businessman and tranformed into creature of the night,who enjoyed the battles and the challenges.Also,back before ASM#122,Harry was Norman's Aunt May,the precious person that Norman didn't wanted to learn about his masked career.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

BANNED

Ill never take Norman seriously as a grand villian due to the fact Dr. Doom made a complete joke out of him diring dark reign.

I would said Dr Octopus is Spider-man dangerous enemy, but Green Goblin is Peter Parker most dangerous enemy. Green Goblin/Norman Osborn had his sight against Peter Parker first, but for Otto Octavius has been the enemy of Spider-man first. The obssesion of Otto was always against the suit but Norman had an obssesion with Peter first. Norman also played as a dark father figure in the life of Parker.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    Ill never take Norman seriously as a grand villian due to the fact Dr. Doom made a complete joke out of him diring dark reign.
    And Squirrel Girl made a complete joke of Doom in an in-continuity story so...

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    To be fair, Doctor Doom makes a joke out of most he encounters.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Doc Ock is his arch-enemy.

Green Goblin/Norman Osborn is his nemesis.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I think Doc Ock might be comparable to Ra's (vs arch Joker) or Brainiac (vs arch Lex). These sort of clear enough perceived/portrayed #2's in a hero's rogues gallery.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Venom's also not a mastermind. He's unlikely to have a big plan against Spider-Man, which is a distinguishing feature of archenemies.
    And thats really sad, that Norman is has to mastermind on a guy who's so simplistically nice and down to earth instead of a devious plot schemer that plays Chess through the entirety of Marvel U and is a criminal master who should be a paragon of his villians roster like Joker is to Batman and Zoom is to the Flash. Dark Reign proved that he can't hang equally with the big leaguers outside of Spider-Man's side of town and has to deceive and steal others tools to gain power over people like Ironman(Whom he lost to with utter ease.).