Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    I agree that it's amorphous, so a generalization is unfair, but I'm assuming Sardorim meant that, while there's a variety of people with differing viewpoints, there's something that some posters generally agree on.
    Kind of goes without saying that there's different schools of taste; was just curious what specifically supposedly drew this crowd to Spider-Gwen, what defines them, etc.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

It's a tumblr thing. They latched on than moved on. It's not a new thing, they don't tend to stick around too long so their money cannot be expected for more than a small window.

But what got tumblr crazy for Gwen is...

Emma Stone
    Cool design
    Gwen reversed fate with Peter
    Gwen being on ice til now

Really emphasize on Emma Stone. That's a huge reason.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 01-20-2016 at 03:33 PM.

I don't know exactly what got others but i can try to recount what drew me to Spider-Gwen and the comics.

I don't remember the exact details but it went like this.

Reading some news online.
    Saw a side entertainment topic about a upcoming Spider-Man comic involving the character Gwen and with the cover as the link's picture.
    The picture quickly caught my eye and I click being interested what it had to say despite not reading comics. I knew about the history of 616 Gwen and some other AU Gwens thanks to various sources online when I first discover her from Spectacular Spider-Man animated series (love that series and version of Gwen among other later discovered) and the one's that had my appeal was the: Age of Apocalypse Gwen, Spectacular Spider-MAn animated Gwen, Emma Stone Gwen, and the Ultimate Gwen (616 Gwen didn't have my interested but those others did greatly).
    Read about this AU Gwen who is a drummer and was bit by the spider and a preview of the that splash page that I examined over many times enjoying it and how with two pages gave a quick but informative tale and art quality.
    Was exceedingly further hooked plus I figured "This is just a one shot comic? Why not? I looks fascinating and the art style and Gwen's Spider-Woman looks awesome! It's not a running series so I can impulse for a mere $4 on a one shot. When does this comic come out?"

Later time went to my local comic shop when the issue came out.
    Had the option to buy the regular comic or for $15 the variant cover and I thought "$15 for one comic?! Both covers look great but I can't see myself ever spending $15 for a single comic greatly for something selling for $4" (some big regret there now but I still hold true to having a limit just of variants and $15 is too much)
    Brought my first comic. Got home and open it up.
    Wave of joy and the artwork hit me hard in a great way. My first comic gave me a experience that was wonderful. Once I as finished I placed it in a safe place as it was a very enjoyable and good comic that I now highly valued after reading. "$4 WELL SPENT!"
    "Well that's the end on my comicbook reading. It's doesn't have a series. If it did I would follow my first comicbook series. This world and characters and the cool art was wonderful and would love to further explore it."

Later:
    Marvel announces Spider-Gwen!

Later as well just before or during the release of Spider-Gwen #1:
    "Hey being a new reader what other new heroes has come out that I don't have to worry about history and seem entertaining, interesting, or good."
    Thus Ms Marvel and Silk enters my life as well making Spider-Gwen, Ms. Marvel, and Silk my first three heroes and series that I followed and my personal generation (in terms of when I stated reading comics thanks the Spider-Gwen) of important comic heroes.

I don't use Tumbler but thanks to some entertainment link from some forgotten site is what first got me baited and the comic and characters hooked me and those three heroes still does and remain in my top five must pulls. Those three forged a special place in my heart and brought and cemented me into this world of comicbook reading.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    It's a tumblr thing. They latched on than moved on. It's not a new thing, they don't tend to stick around too long so their money cannot be expected for more than a small window.

Emma Stone
    Cool design

More like people were criticizing how others latched onto Emma Stone. It's mainly been that people understand Emma Stone, but think that there's really no actual appeal to Gwen. It was just projecting people's attraction to her and equating Gwen from the ASM movies with Emma Stone. At best, the "cool design" is considered a waste on Spider-Gwen, while the "til now" is considered a downside, as people on Tumblr (This isn't something inherent to the site, it's just that Tumblr is the only place that I know of where certain people are active) would rather that she stayed dead.

So all the reasons you bring up, I've seen on Tumblr. It's just people cite them as reasons for why they're opposed to Gwen. That crowd isn't drawn to Spider-Gwen; they're criticizing others who go with those reasons. Emma Stone is brought up mainly because people don't see others as actually being interested in the character of Gwen Stacy. They just think Emma Stone is hot and prop up Gwen as a smokescreen for their attraction.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post

Emma Stone
    Cool design

I don't use tumblr so that doesn't apply to me LOL.

Mighty Member

More like people were criticizing how others latched onto Emma Stone. It's mainly been that people understand Emma Stone, but think that there's really no actual appeal to Gwen. It was just projecting people's attraction to her and equating Gwen from the ASM movies with Emma Stone. At best, the "cool design" is considered a waste on Spider-Gwen, while the "til now" is considered a downside, as people on Tumblr (This isn't something inherent to the site, it's just that Tumblr is the only place that I know of where certain people are active) would rather that she stayed dead.

So all the reasons you bring up, I've seen on Tumblr. It's just people cite them as reasons for why they're opposed to Gwen. That crowd isn't drawn to Spider-Gwen; they're criticizing others who go with those reasons. Emma Stone is brought up mainly because people don't see others as actually being interested in the character of Gwen Stacy. They just think Emma Stone is hot and prop up Gwen as a smokescreen for their attraction.
    I've seen those reasons too... And others, and people agreeing/disagreeing with them... My point is that trying to say "tumblr" mainly says this or that is akin to saying "the internet thinks" or "men are of the opinion". Sure, some are, but claiming that there is such a thing as the tumblr crowd, and that they feel any kind of way as a group...? Problematic, true?

BANNED

You're right, Daniel, and I completely agree with it. I don't want to generalize Tumblr, but I thought the bigger point that Sardorim was getting at is that Tumblr is host to a vast majority of people, so they pointed to that majority to give an example of how people are moving on from Spider-Gwen. I was trying to say that I've seen different behavior from that majority.

Mighty Member

You're right, Daniel, and I completely agree with it. I don't want to generalize Tumblr, but I thought the bigger point that Sardorim was getting at is that Tumblr is host to a vast majority of people, so they pointed to that majority to give an example of how people are moving on from Spider-Gwen. I was trying to say that I've seen different behavior from that majority.
    True. I see what you mean. I don't get on Tumblr much. When I do I get the feeling (to make a vast, sweeping generalization, because sometimes I'm hypocritical) that they feel like they are sitting at the cool kids table at lunch. When really it's just social media, with the few good and many bad things that comes along with it..

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I tend to ignore what's popular on social media and wait to see if something is ACTUALLY popular before I make judgements about whether something is popular or not. I mean people talking about something on tumblr is a little different to sales figures which, since Marvel is a business at the end of the day, is what matters to them.

Having said that I don't often get into conversations about whether something/someone is popular or not LOL.

Just my two pennies.

Amazing Member

The thing with Gwen she really is going to be a flash-in-the-pan. Hipsters/Tumblrites will move on to the next trend, the writer and artist's cringe inducing behaviour will drive away more potential fans and the sales will decline to the point of cancellation and Gwen wont "Land" anywhere. Unless Web Warriors continues or Exiles comes back.

It's the hipsters now! Damn hipsters and their well known love for comic books.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Incredible Member

TBH I always thought it was down to Emma Stones performance as much anything. Now that's fading away I think it's starting to die down.

Iv said this before but Gwen is most famous for dying but as a character she wasn't all that. She seemed more just a plot device (somone for Peter to rescue for Girl to win etc) and Stans own wish fulfilment female comic character as much as anything.

As both a Fun and interesting Love interest for Spidey as well as being a character in her own right, I never thought Gwen held a candle to either MJ or Black Cat in that regard in jmo.
    Last edited by Mauled; 01-24-2016 at 03:38 AM.