Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I was intrigued by the first issue of Scarlet Witch, more than I thought in fact, and will continue reading. The only negative (at least to me anyway) is the rotating artist business. I mean, why not pick just one penciller and stick with him/her?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I was intrigued by the first issue of Scarlet Witch, more than I thought in fact, and will continue reading. The only negative (at least to me anyway) is the rotating artist business. I mean, why not pick just one penciller and stick with him/her?
    1st off Glad you liked the 1st Issue WestPhillyPunisher and Very Glad to have you onboard with the Solo, Thanks Allot!

As for the rotating Artist I can understand why that would bug you, makes sense cause you don't have a recurring theme or feel for the book. But in what the Grand Plan was for this book and this might help you understand why this is happening, Robinson in an interview said he WANTED it to be done this way, a New Artist for Each Issue!

Now Why did he do this, in a clever way of story telling he wants each issue to have a theme and feel to it that is unique to the setting and story he is telling, so each issue is located in a different part of the world with a similar but different theme to it. So he wanted the best artist for each issue that could be give the best feel and theme towards that issue, That is why Robinson did that!

Now that still may not be towards your agreement but that is ok, just wanted to let you know it was All Planned that way and just IMO, just me, I really feel it has worked, mainly for Issue #2 and looks Great from the previews of Issue #3! ;-)
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    1st off Glad you liked the 1st Issue WestPhillyPunisher and Very Glad to have you onboard with the Solo, Thanks Allot!

As for the rotating Artist I can understand why that would bug you, makes sense cause you don't have a recurring theme or feel for the book. But in what the Grand Plan was for this book and this might help you understand why this is happening, Robinson in an interview said he WANTED it to be done this way, a New Artist for Each Issue!

Now Why did he do this, in a clever way of story telling he wants each issue to have a theme and feel to it that is unique to the setting and story he is telling, so each issue is located in a different part of the world with a similar but different theme to it. So he wanted the best artist for each issue that could be give the best feel and theme towards that issue, That is why Robinson did that!

Now that still may not be towards your agreement but that is ok, just wanted to let you know it was All Planned that way and just IMO, just me, I really feel it has worked, mainly for Issue #2 and looks Great from the previews of Issue #3! ;-)
    Well, at 57, I'm an old school comic book fan. I like the long time concept of one writer, one artist, one inker bonding into a team and creating magic. Still, the story being told is intriguing, and that's why I'll continue reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    On the one hand I get a tired of the "magic has a price" trope.. I think I'm going to have to make a fanart of Wanda chillin' with Rumplestiltskin, haha. But on the other hand it's an interesting conundrum Wanda has gotten herself into. So I'm of two minds of that piece of the story. Seems like every writer does their own spin on how Wanda's powers work or what she can do, which has left her being one of the most confusing characters, powerset wise.

I'm liking the story set up and like others the art is very flattering.
    Wanda feels more like Regina to me Magneto is Cora, and Billy is Henry (Ok I have to stop doing that).

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Wanda feels more like Regina to me Magneto is Cora, and Billy is Henry (Ok I have to stop doing that).
    LOL!

Yeah I could definitely see the Wanda/Regina parallel haha. It's just that whole 'magic has a price' line always makes me think of Rumple. "Magic has a price, dearie..." lmao

..and would that make Lorna Zelena? XD

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    LOL!

Yeah I could definitely see the Wanda/Regina parallel haha. It's just that whole 'magic has a price' line always makes me think of Rumple. "Magic has a price, dearie..." lmao

..and would that make Lorna Zelena? XD
    Omg, totally! And about Robin...Wanda did had something with Clint, right?

Well, at 57, I'm an old school comic book fan. I like the long time concept of one writer, one artist, one inker bonding into a team and creating magic. Still, the story being told is intriguing, and that's why I'll continue reading.
    Ow Yea, That is completely understandable and really that is the main way comics should go I truly agree with that so it is not an old school issue at all, it is a permanent ideal IMO!

The main way I support this outside of it being Wanda's Solo is that Robinson HAD this as his plan in telling a story and with that I give him Great Credit for taking a risk towards doing something unique and different and I believe it is paying off Bigtime!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Read issue #1 a second time last night, and it's still intriguing. While James Robinson hasn't exactly thrilled me with his work at Marvel so far, I certainly like what he's doing with Scarlet Witch.

This issue was way better than the first. Rudy's art.. Damn. I wish he was the artist for the whole series. Loved the reveal at the end. Excited to see what all these books build up to with the Emerald Warlock.

Read issue #1 a second time last night, and it's still intriguing. While James Robinson hasn't exactly thrilled me with his work at Marvel so far, I certainly like what he's doing with Scarlet Witch.
    Indeed, I have been doing the samething the last day, I went back and read over the 1st issue of the solo at least twice now and honestly it is still gripping. It sucks you into that world that Robinson is creating, making a strange mystical world that we have not seen in a longtime, one that is not tame or interesting, but scary and hardcore on a comic book level. Each part makes you think and connect and the way the 2 issues connect while each issue are stand alones, they do indeed flow together well while standing strong on their own!

Like I said before and I am glad you see it now as well WestPhillyPunisher, This book has HIGH Re-Reading Ablity!

Reading this comic, I felt like this would be the comic Homer would write and Michelangelo would draw, if classic artists did comics.

Simply sublime in every way.

I am hoping not only that they will keep to the same bar and even raise it going forward .. but also holding out hope that this book
    is will not turn out to be too good to sell enough copies to keep it going. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    This was really wordy. Not quite sure what to make of it.
    See?
    Last edited by Von; 01-18-2016 at 11:49 PM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Reading this comic, I felt like this would be the comic Homer would write and Michelangelo would draw, if classic artists did comics.

Simply sublime in every way.

I am hoping not only that they will keep to the same bar and even raise it going forward .. but also holding out hope that this book
    is going to turn out to be too good to sell enough copies to keep it going. It happens.

See?
    That is an Impressive, Simple one of the Best Saying of Approval toward this story that I have simply heard in a long time Von, Very Original, Creative, Deep and Most of all a Very High Honor for Wanda's Solo, Mr. Robinson's Skills and the Artwork as a whole!!!

Honestly, to have Wanda's book to be compared to Homer and Michelangelo.........That is just WOW Thank You!!!

We will know how well it does when we get the January and on numbers, but honestly I could indeed see this book do Very Well, it has the feel of what happen with Hawkeye and Ms. Marvel in Recent Years; a under the radar book that turns out to be one of the Best Comics of the Year! I expect Robinson to keep upping his game and he already has cause in fact EACH Artist was choosen for specific issues for specific reasons to bring out the best style for that issues story!

Allot of Heart has been put into this indeed Von, it is Very Impressive! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    I expect Robinson to keep upping his game and he already has cause in fact EACH Artist was choosen for specific issues for specific reasons to bring out the best style for that issues story!
    I did now know that about the artists - very cool! I have this near the very top of my pull list for sure.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I got caught up on my reads over the weekend and Scarlet Witch #2 was among the pile. I'm really enjoying the title. I enjoyed the art in both issues but am curious if each issue of this opening arc is going to be rotating? I'd rather know going in month-to-month that I like the artist. There are a few art styles out there that Marvel has on books that I can't stomach and I haven't touched because(She-Hulk's last ongoing for example) of that.

Robinson again was able to tell a one&done type story while progressing the overall plot along so that when read together there is a narrative thread that will be evident. Thus connecting the visual disconnects. The 4th wall explanation I'd like to go with is that the curse on magic within the book is partially responsible for the visual distortion we see!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime