Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    My solution? Blame Spider-Island, say that Miles was one of the rare few, like Anya Corazon, whose spider-powers stuck even after the Anti-Venom cure was administered to him. The rest would depend on if or how much Miles remembers his original universe and how much of that got incorporated into the All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe.
    That could work. Granted, Bendis would still have to rely on flashbacks in order to tell Miles' new origin and history, but him getting powers from the "Spider-Island" virus and still having them afterwards is a good idea.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Regardless of the Molecule Man being responsible, Miles Morales, his family, and his supporting cast being brought into and incorporated into the new "Prime Earth" creates a big nagging question: how much of Miles' history has changed? Because if everything on "Prime Earth" happened the same way as it did on Earth-616 up to the first incursion in New Avengers #1, and if Miles mom never died, then logically, everything about Miles--including how he got spider-powers, how he became another Spider-Man, and how he met Peter--would have to be different.
    Reposting from the Miles thread:

Anonymous: A friend of mine has suggested that the events of Ultimate End #5 effectively ret-cons everything about Miles Morales' personal history - that he never met Gwen, MJ and Aunt May, that his entire 1610 journey was wiped clean and that his new book (coming in Feb) is effectively an alternate universe Miles (a 616 Miles, as it were) with none of his rich and complicated history intact. PLEASE TELL ME THIS ISN'T TRUE! Miles is still Miles, right? All his history is coming with him into the ANAD, yes?

Bendis: i’d like to retcon your friend. that is completely incorrect. everything that happened, happened. no retcon.
    Nothing is retcon, basically Miles was shocked to see his mom alive at the end of Ultimate End, most likely b/c he was shocked his wish came true.

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post

Nothing is retcon, basically Miles was shocked to see his mom alive at the end of Ultimate End, most likely b/c he was shocked his wish came true.
    Well that just begs the question how was he able to adapt so quickly to a new universe without a massive amount of psychological issues.
    "I can talk to spiders"
    - Kaine Parker

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Chicken View Post
    Well that just begs the question how was he able to adapt so quickly to a new universe without a massive amount of psychological issues.
    Same with Ganke and his other friends. There has to be more to it than just randomly appearing in this new world. Like how did Miles and his family suddenly have a home and public records in this new Universe?

Obviously some degree of retcon did happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Miles' mom should have stayed dead and I'm confused over where popular UU characters like Jessica are.
    The dream is dead, they don't exist anymore. Time to accept it.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Reed could easily have pitched a UU fastball out there somewhere. The end of Secret Wars allows for many universes to exist. Whatever Franklin dreamed up, and Reed molded, is out there.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Reed could easily have pitched a UU fastball out there somewhere. The end of Secret Wars allows for many universes to exist. Whatever Franklin dreamed up, and Reed molded, is out there.
    The crap sales of the Ultimate Line leads me to believe the Universe won't be revisited in the near future anyway, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    The difference between Stan Lee & Brian Michael Bendis when it comes to Spider-Man can be summed up in this:

When Stan Lee decided to kill off both Uncle Ben and Gwen Stacy, he sticked with those decisions. Brian Michael Bendis decides to have both Miles Morales' mother and Gwen Stacy killed, but brings them back in a retcon.
    Hate to break it to you, but Stan Lee had nothing to do with the story where Gwen Stacy died.

Regardless of the Molecule Man being responsible, Miles Morales, his family, and his supporting cast being brought into and incorporated into the new "Prime Earth" creates a big nagging question: how much of Miles' history has changed? Because if everything on "Prime Earth" happened the same way as it did on Earth-616 up to the first incursion in New Avengers #1, and if Miles mom never died, then logically, everything about Miles--including how he got spider-powers, how he became another Spider-Man, and how he met Peter--would have to be different.
    Why? She didn't die until well into Miles' career as Spider-Man. With some minor tweaks, like Oscorp's research into genetically altered spiders being a function of Osborn already having an obsession with Peter Spider-Man, there's no reason the rest of Miles' origin couldn't work pretty well, especially if it could fit with one of the times Peter has declared Spider-Man No More.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Why? She didn't die until well into Miles' career as Spider-Man. With some minor tweaks, like Oscorp's research into genetically altered spiders being a function of Osborn already having an obsession with Peter Spider-Man, there's no reason the rest of Miles' origin couldn't work pretty well, especially if it could fit with one of the times Peter has declared Spider-Man No More.
    Actually, Miles' mom (who remember was killed during Miles' fight with the Ultimate universe's version of Venom) happened within his first couple of months as Spider-Man, I believe. Then, because he felt his mom's death was his fault, Miles stopped being Spider-Man for a year, until Jessica Drew (Peter's female clone) convinced him to don the webs again.

Also, even if you tweaked the origin and the circumstances leading up to Miles becoming Spider-Man, you'd have to also change his entire motivation, as well. Because let's remember why Miles decided to become Spider-Man in the first place in the Ultimate comics: because when Peter was "killed" by the Green Goblin during Death of Spider-Man , Miles believed that since he already had spider-powers, he could have done something to help. In fact, it was him meeting Gwen Stacy at Peter's funeral which gave him the idea that he could carry on Spider-Man's legacy. So no, it wouldn't exactly involve some minor tweaks, IMO.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    The difference between Stan Lee & Brian Michael Bendis when it comes to Spider-Man can be summed up in this:

When Stan Lee decided to kill off both Uncle Ben and Gwen Stacy, he sticked with those decisions. Brian Michael Bendis decides to have both Miles Morales' mother and Gwen Stacy killed, but brings them back in a retcon.
    Stan actually demanded that they bring Gwen back because fans were giving him a hard time at his college Q&As.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

I liked UU Miles, nlt this altered version whose missing key supporting characters like Jessica.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Stan actually demanded that they bring Gwen back because fans were giving him a hard time at his college Q&As.
    I think on CSBG the story was that Conway asked for blessing to kill Gwen off. Stan said "okay" but wanted Conway to bring her back which why we got Clone Saga 1. I miss 20th century comics.

As for Miles' 616 backstory, it's possible that most of it will just be fitted in during the 8 months between SW9 and SM(2016)#1. Say he gets bitten early but he doesn't use his powers because there's Spidey and other Spider people running about. But then Spidey is on other parts of the globe with Parker Industries, Miguel is MIA, Jessica takes some time off because she just found out she's pregnant so Miles comes out as a new Spider-Man. Then Pete comes back and becomes his tutor. The End(?)

All-New Member

That could work. Granted, Bendis would still have to rely on flashbacks in order to tell Miles' new origin and history, but him getting powers from the "Spider-Island" virus and still having them afterwards is a good idea.
    I don't see Bendis as a writer who cares about making the stories he wants to tell fit into continuity. We'll be lucky if the characters Miles encounters in his new book aren't written as their Ultimate versions, so don't hold your breath for some kind of Roy Thomas continuity fix here.

iMan 42s

Miles's continuity is adapted into the current one.
    Considering what Peter saw at the end of Spider-men when he googled Miles, this could be that forgotten plot thread so where in new continuity Peter discovers current Miles and decides to train him.

Miles was also surprised to see his mom at the end of Ultimate end, so the two continuities smashed together could mean that the Ultimate universe timeline is still his history, but he now has memories of growing up in this universe. He is still the same Miles as before but has been adapted into the new universe so he has a second history here.
    Imagine if you will, you woke up in a new life but could remember enough of the old one that you are still you but have been living life over in this one. This is just a plot point yet to be explored. Miles dealing with the knowledge of living two lives would be kind of hard to take in. Like people you knew before that had been dead are now alive, or your loved ones are different things entirely or dead or nowhere to be found. He may just be embracing his new history just to try and stay sane.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    The crap sales of the Ultimate Line leads me to believe the Universe won't be revisited in the near future anyway, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.
    Oh, me too. But its good to know the universe probably still exists out there and could be revisited. Marvel did a smart thing here, consolidating their universe while admitting they might still need other ones at some point.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.