All-New Member

Question When did Venom (Flash Thompson) Join the Guardians of the Galaxy? (Spoilers likely)

Hi, I'm New to these forums.

A character in a recent issue of Thunderbolts mentioned that Venom had joined the Guardians of the Galaxy. This set of the 'Spoiler' alarm in my brain but apart from that I was looking forward to seeing how that'd play out.

I'd forgotten he'd already made his debut in the title a week or 2 earlier, back in issue 14; he was out shopping with Drax the Destroyer, looking to replace his 'primitive earth weapons' (paraphrased). I understood why he gone into space; his loved ones on earth would be safe from him, but there was nothing to say what he was doing with Drax (other than shopping)... I went back to 13 and that took me straight back to the Guardians/Uncanny X-Men crossover.

What came in between?

The last I remember of Venom in Thunderbolts was him leaving, fearing none of his teammates could beat him if he lost control of the Venom symbiont. I recall nothing about him catching a ride off planet, though it feels as if I should.

I'm sorry if this has already been asked and answered but I did search the forums and came up empty

Thanks in advance

BANNED

GotG Free Comic Book Day Special.

All-New Member

Thanks We don't have free comic book day in the UK and, even if we did, there are almost no comic shops, so I wouldn't have found out otherwise. (I get an problem like this every year....)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
    Thanks We don't have free comic book day in the UK and, even if we did, there are almost no comic shops, so I wouldn't have found out otherwise. (I get an problem like this every year....)
    I think you can find it for Free on Marvel's website and comixology.

The problem was that Flash's intro to the team came out a week after he had already shown up in GotG.
    So it threw people off. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
    You can get it online from Disposable Heroes in the UK. They get the FCBD stuff. It's not free, but the price is just to cover shipping.

What??? Has he? Awesome, does Bendis write him more in line with Remender's Flash?

All-New Member

It's honestly too soon to tell. I've now read the FCBD edition of GotG and the first part, the part with him in it, is just Tony explaining the Guardians to Flash, who sits there in his formal military uniform. TBH, though, I preferred Bunn's work. But *that* could be because I'd just read "The Adventures of Fanboy & Goth Girl," by Barry Lyga, and there were some was a very noticeable homage to it in Venom very shortly after.

His parts in issues No. 14 & 15 have been just as small, if not smaller; the shopping scene with Drax, then they're attacked by the Shi'ar and Drax is taken, leaving Flash behind. In the following issue Flash is wondering around, lost, and Drax aboard a Shi'ar space station, being told he has to answer for unspecified "crimes against the galaxy."

I think the main reason Flash is there (from an artistic point of view) is so that the other cast members have somebody to explain things to, such as alien politics, intergalactic history or cosmic phenomena a man from earth who isn't as bright as, saw, Tony Stark or Peter Parker, would understand.

He's a good choice, really, because between his alien symbiont and the danger he poses if he loses control of it there are PLENTY of reasons for him to be in space and lots of interesting story plots that can involve him now he's out there. (I never read "Planet of the Symbionts," though, so I don't know enough about their origins to make much comment).

BANNED

Bendis has said that one of the main reasons for bringing Flash on the book was a for a "Planet Venom" arc in which the GotG go to the true planet where the symbiotes come from.
    Not just a homeworld they set up but the direct birthplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    Bendis has said that one of the main reasons for bringing Flash on the book was a for a "Planet Venom" arc in which the GotG go to the true planet where the symbiotes come from.
    Not just a homeworld they set up but the direct birthplace.
    Oh boy, everyone put on your retcon helmets and prepare for some retcon fallout.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Oh boy, everyone put on your retcon helmets and prepare for some retcon fallout.
    My presumption is you're referring to the fact that it's constantly mentioned that the weaknesses of Symbionts (loud sounds, intense heat, etc) are due to living in the vacuum of space. But that doesn't mean they couldn't have still originated on a planet; space faring symbionts could easily become intolerant of heat or sound after having adapted for life in space over thousands, maybe millions of years.

Or maybe they come from a rogue planetoid, not orbiting a star or in orbit of some other kind of gravity well that doesn't give out any hear, such as a black hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    Symbiotes for each Guardian. SGotG. Funkier helmet for Star-Lord. Bigger guns for Rocket. Sharper blades for Gamora. Much maniac for Drax. More wood for Groot. Hmm, Carol's already had it on her before. All making poor Flash feel even more underpowered.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by snark^ View Post
    Symbiotes for each Guardian. SGotG.
    I'm suddenly imagining each in a different coloured symbiont, looking like a horror movie version of the power rangers :'D