Page 38 of 166 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beezzi View Post
    Good Point - this is true - comics do present us with a simplified or generic version of human features. Rarely do comic artists go for photo realism.

But, the inability to distinguish whether a character is Asian or not, never seems to be a problem in the cases of Psylocke, Yukio, or Amiko. Jubes, though, it's weird. At times I believe artists truly forget she's Asian, just like they tend to forget she's been de-powered or is a vampire now, or no longer needs Logan's blood or is not allowed to drink blood from directly from a host or drink any human blood at all.

I think TAS might be to blame (or just pure laziness) - '92 Jubes is pretty iconic and up until the weird last six episodes, her features are as caucasian as her adoptive parents. That's one of the reason the last six feel so odd - when they switch to her GenX look, it's like the character goes through a total ethnicity change.
    Yeah that's the thing that confuses me by how Jubilee looks in the cartoon like nowadays I think, "Did the 90's cartoon make her white?"

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

I think TAS might be to blame (or just pure laziness) - '92 Jubes is pretty iconic and up until the weird last six episodes, her features are as caucasian as her adoptive parents. That's one of the reason the last six feel so odd - when they switch to her GenX look, it's like the character goes through a total ethnicity change.
    Psylocke was outright asian fetish in a perfect, no apologies embodiment, right down to the startling juxtaposition between her new, hot sex incarnation just draped in loose ribbon-as-costume and the formerly dowdy anglo-saxon woman with an unfortunately large proboscis.

Amiko and Yukio were nothing but plot conveyances.

But Jubilee, right there, she was in the lead and also a primary engine to serve up long-needed cultural diversity that didn't have to take a backseat as a background character, secondary plot device or setting support. Didn't stop the cartoon from imbuing her with distinctly white speech mannerisms and caucasian features. Instead of serving as a long-needed catalyst for progressive cultural change, the cartoon did nothing but serve up some stale cheese we'd all engorged ourselves on decades prior.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

That needs to be a Fox sitcom!

I can see vamp Jubes getting all protective of him as Shogo gets older and TAS Jubes, on babysitting duty, just sneaking him sugary snacks and taking him blading.

Vamp Jubes watching a hyper Shogo bouncing off the walls: What the funk happened? He was totally fine this morning...You didn't give him any sugar did you?
    TAS Jubes: Sugar? Me?! Never. *Hides an empty bottle of soda, two candy wrappers and an empty box of Chocolate glazed Sugarbombs behind her back*
    Haha, this does sound like a sitcom! ;D
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Why Pixie, have you been secretly stalking the Jubes thread? I knew we'd get you over to the sparkly side of life sometime. You're a secret firecracker lover at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    Psylocke was outright asian fetish in a perfect, no apologies embodiment, right down to the startling juxtaposition between her new, hot sex incarnation just draped in loose ribbon-as-costume and the formerly dowdy anglo-saxon woman with an unfortunately large proboscis.
    If the "Psylocke Thread" saw you saying that, they'd go ape ****. They take pre-asian Besty very seriously around there...I recommend sleeping with both eyes open tonight.

But Jubilee, right there, she was in the lead and also a primary engine to serve up long-needed cultural diversity that didn't have to take a backseat as a background character, secondary plot device or setting support. Didn't stop the cartoon from imbuing her with distinctly white speech mannerisms and caucasian features. Instead of serving as a long-needed catalyst for progressive cultural change, the cartoon did nothing but serve up some stale cheese we'd all engorged ourselves on decades prior.
    Very good points there.

Here's the thing, I don't mind her acting so called "white" in the show. Children tend to take on the mannerism/accents of their peers or what they see on TV and not those of their parents. (Which is why my own accent is some freaky mix of Americanism, Kwa-Zulu Natal Britishness and Dutch consonants - while my mom has a perfectly posh Capetonian accent. Or why loads of second generation Asian/African kids you meet in Ireland have thick, inner-city Irish scanger accents - their parents must be so proud...)

One of Jubes' defining feature is her "pop culture" sensibilities - she's part of a generation raised on and by TV. She's your All American teenager. The fact that she's Chinese just shows that "Americanness" isn't defined by the way someone looks or where their parents came from, but rather by whatever they decide it to be. (Am I explaining this OK? It doesn't feel like I am..."Somewhere Between" is a documentary about the international adoption of Chinese girls into the US that does a way better job explaining it- also my fav 2014 film - the whole thing was on youtube till recently - have like five boxes of tissues at the ready.)

And that's where the cartoon missed the boat for me - by basically making her appearance bog standard "white girl", they totally missed one of the coolest things about her and what she represents as a character.
    Last edited by Beezzi; 01-27-2015 at 10:34 PM.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Amiko and Yukio were nothing but plot conveyances.

First Amiko and Yukio are good characters who need more appearences.

True the cartoon disnt mention that see was Chinese American which sucks
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    First Amiko and Yukio are good characters who need more appearences.
    So true! Did Amiko even get some proper page time after Logan death?

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    True the cartoon disnt mention that see was Chinese American which sucks
    Actually, it's worse - it does mention it, but never freakin' addresses it in any way.

(The mutant registration database entry Xavier is looking at in the first or second episode list her as Chinese American.)
    Last edited by Beezzi; 01-27-2015 at 10:43 PM.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Oh right. I remember now
    X-Men Forever

WOW... didn't know my question generated such interesting conversation!!! XD

After read all, I have to say this: I don't know why, but almost all my best friends are orientals or have orientals blood, so for me any oriental character in Marvel comics don't look oriental and if they look somewhat oriental they look like your generic oriental that many people think orientals look (or like they say, all orientals look the same and that happen also in comics).

But normally the one that suffer more this "I'm oriental but don't look oriental" are more the girls, men normally look more like they race (or exaggeration of how people think someone for X race look, mostly racism views).

About the merge, I'm scared that Shogo will go away too... but I remember that in 2013, when Wood created Shogo, he said he request Marvel do not eliminate him (give him adoption o another family), that he keep being Jubes baby and don't make him magically grow... don't know if the merge was something that was already known in that time or not... so maybe he won't be deleted...

About the merge, the Jubes in Ultimate, I only saw her like three time, once when they arrived to the mansion and she was Dazzler fan (and didn't do nothing except talk), once that her finger(s) were broken (don't remember if it was one finger or more) and once in a panel where we see a group of mutants attacking/defending themselves... So the only Jubes they know is the Jubes we know... Jubes from 616 Earth...

Even if I miss the old mall rat, I like this mature Jubes, even if I want to see her more active. If they merge, I was thinking the new Jubes will have more of the 616 Jubes and something from the Ultimate Jubes (that we only know that she is a mutant with firecracking powers)...

Maybe they will return her as the 90's Jubes (the one from the cartoon more than the one from the comics... and sadly in many chapters she was like the kid who only give issues or don't do anything... something like Wilykid and Wilykat from Thundercats)... I prefer the one from comics...

But it can be a Jubes who has something from both.... maybe she will be a teenager mutant vampire... or maybe not...

I hear they were going to do a comics about Marvel vampires, being Dracula the main character and Jubes was going to be part of it, but that never happened and we don't know if it was only a rumor... maybe it was that the reason that Jubes couldn't return to be mutant...

Also she doesn't use her vampire abilities like other vampires in the Marvel universe... only her mist...

I can see, before the merge, the two Jubes loving and taking case of Shogo... that should be funny... also we can see Shogo as an adult in some comics, so maybe he will continue there...

I see a lot of potential for a human whose mother is a vampire, his grandpa a Avenger and was educated between mutants... and if we add that he is intelligent and what we see in the comics it can be he can have some knowledge from Arkea (I think the reason they did that the baby was poisoned and Beast have to save his life using the cure from Arkea was in order to activate something from Arkea in him, and the future Shogo has a lot of knowledge in technology... so maybe he has some of Arkea knowledge about technology)...

Well... we can only speculate until they begin the merge... and is risky... because they will gain fans... but also lose fans...
    Last edited by datugu; 01-28-2015 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by datugu View Post
    About the merge, I'm scared that Shogo will go away too... but I remember that in 2013, when Wood created Shogo, he said he request Marvel do not eliminate him (give him adoption o another family), that he keep being Jubes baby and don't make him magically grow... don't know if the merge was something that was already known in that time or not... so maybe he won't be deleted...
    Marvel's known this was coming for years, I just wonder if they let Brian Wood in on it.

==========

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...el-multiverse/

Thiefofhearts suggested:

The universe where everything is stuck in the 90s and Jubilee formed her version of the X-Men.

By Nick Butch. Larger Image here: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...ne1-30-15a.jpg

Wolverine, Synch, Penance, Daria... All of Jubilee's '90s faves in one awesome team!

LOL at the Watcher saying Jubilee's always been his favorite mutant!! ;D

I'd totally buy "Age of Jubilee!"
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg

That's one of the reason the last six feel so odd - when they switch to her GenX look, it's like the character goes through a total ethnicity change.
    she wore her Gen X uniform in the last eps of the show? thats so cool! anyone have pics of that?
    I wonder if the show had gone on for an extra season if they would have eventually introduced the rest of Gen x?

Nope, not the uniform, I think (need to rewatch the last six). Just the longer, shoulder length hair and general Bachalo-ness.

If we got another season, I think we might've seen some more of GenX - Paige is in one of the last six as well - so someone was reading their GenX.

I'll see if I can find a pic.

The best I could do on short notice:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

And I found this while looking:

image.jpg

I like E best - I always found the long hair weird.

C is just odd - she looks like a history teacher I had in high school.

And I found this while looking:

image.jpg

I like E best - I always found the long hair weird.

C is just odd - she looks like a history teacher I had in high school.
    I've seen this, too.

The two that seem like the most "Jubilee"-ish to me are:

D

E

'cos that short hair, omigosh.

The finished product looks more like Armor than Jubilee... ^_^;;
    Prεtty Pεnny

c looks like a 30 something accountant from the early 90's.

thanks for the pics Beezzi!