Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Luc Besson's Valerian

Like with the prequels before it, the cool thing about new Star Wars movies seems to be that other studios are doing there own seemingly more interesting space opera movies too. And just like in that time of the prequels, Besson is back with another sci-fi film, this time being an adaptation of the French comic book Valérian and Laureline.

Movie started shooting on the fifth of this month.

The cast includes Ethan Hawke, Kris Wu, Clive Owen, Herbie Hancock, John Goodman, Rihanna, Dane HeHaan as Valerian, and Cara Delevingne as Laureline.
    Last edited by simbob4000; 01-13-2016 at 02:25 PM.

I like quite a few things Besson's been involved in. Good cast. Especially like Dane DeHaan and more sci-fi can never be a bad thing.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

I was about to create a thread about that when i thought : eh, maybe you should check if there isn't already one.

And look at that, there is one.

Anyway, a little picture of the two main protagonists :

Must say, i'm quite excited about the whole project. Valerian has always been a comic i enjoyed to read a lot. It's kind of classic read when you grow up in France. Hell, i even watched the cartoon, which wasn't bad if not all that impressive.

And Luc Besson, i can't complain, i loved most of the dude movies. Especially the 5th element who was pretty much a Valerian type of story.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

So looking forward to this.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Scheduled for the 21th of July 2017 at this point.

Damn. Simbob4000 got banned? That kinda sucks.

Regarding this movie, I am now very eager to see a trailer. Like I said before...more sci-fi is never a bad thing.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Extraordinary Member

I heard Ri Ri is in this so it should be good.

I've read a few of the albums, they're currently being brought over into the UK and US by Cinebook, and it's a pretty awesome series. It obviously left a huge impression on the young Besson, because The Fifth Element feels very much of the same ilk - and now he get's to play in the sandbox of the original thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    That's Besson in the back, and he's got the image of the original comic versions of the characters on his jacket! What a fanboy moment!

On a side note, it's going to be the French movie with the largest budget ever. Something around 180 to 195 million, depending on the source. (to give you an idea of how big it is let's just say that the second largest budget is "Asterix at the Olympic games" with its 78 million)

Though as usual little of it is going to be spend in France cause it's so darn expensive to shoot a movie there.

BANNED

I read the Dutch translations, about half the series had been published when I started and the other half took a lot of years as they were published at a terribly slow pace.

I'm really looking forward to this, probably my most anticipated 2017 movie so far.

I wonder if Besson will include some of the things Lucas allegedly cribbed from this comic for Star Wars. Would be interesting to see how that goes down in comments sections.

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    I'm really looking forward to this, probably my most anticipated 2017 movie so far
    Yeah, same. Plus if it turns out to be a success there is room enough for some more as Valerian and Laureline have already quite a few adventures under their belts to tell. (22 "albums" published in France so far since the 70's, something like that, depending the edition)

Or of course they can just as well write completely new stuff but well, if there is already good material available why not take some inspiration from it right?

I was hoping they'd put some footage online, but I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Yeah, same. Plus if it turns out to be a success there is room enough for some more as Valerian and Laureline have already quite a few adventures under their belts to tell. (22 "albums" published in France so far since the 70's, something like that, depending the edition)

Or of course they can just as well write completely new stuff but well, if there is already good material available why not take some inspiration from it right?
    The full title of the movie calls back to one specific comic. "L'Empire des mille plančtes". The movie changes "L'Empire" to "La Cité" in that title. I'd be very surprised if the movie doesn't use the comic story as the base for its screenplay.

BANNED

Loved the trailer, but only because of Beatles.