Default Expand the franchise!

Remember when DC after the return of Hal Jordan pushed the GL franchise to became a multi title corner, source of events and specials, to give him more background?
    If you remember was around the time the (ugh) movie Green Lantern was launched too. But the important here is than suddenly you got Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, New Guardians, Sinestro, Brightest Day, Blackest Night, Sinestro War and so. So, thinking about how the GL corner was expanded, which title and or character would you propose expand or could be expanded as a franchise and possibly, as a tv series/movie possibility? How many titles? Which angle? Which in your opinion is the best bet?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

JSA and Legion of Superheroes have the most franchise potential. I wouldn't even know where to begin.
    Last edited by Starchild; 01-14-2016 at 10:22 AM.

BANNED

Superman
    Kon
    Kara
    Steel
    Lil Jon
    Linda Danvers
    Cir-El
    And more
    Are just put them all in a book together

How about something like Shazam and expand it about all the magical universe? I mean, look how is Marvel building a franchise from the inhumans concept. What concept can DC built around from it lesser know properties and made them grow in something interesting?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I would propose 11 twins for Batman. Maybe 12 Waynes will earn more money for DC.

Green Arrow, specifically to build off of Lemire's run.

I've kinda put some ideas into what I'd want to do. Have Ollie expand the Arrow-family, address the elephants in the closet of Roy and Dinah, and pick up some stuff that I'm surprised hasn't been capitalised on.

Specifically, here's the books I'd want:

-Green Arrow
    One of the two flagship books, and I kinda picture it as a book being written with...an Eastern vibe to it. Emphasise the ideas in Lemire's run, of Ollie and enlightenment. One of the characters I'd definitely reintroduce would be Conner Hawke, but turn him into...a monk, and Ollie's mentor.

-Katana
    The other flagship for the franchise. If Ollie is a gunslinger being written as a samurai, Katana should be a samurai as a Western. Her travelling the country, righting wrongs...old school GA/GL style.

-Outsiders
    Why isn't this canon yet...? Game of Thrones style intrigue as the six leaders of the Outsider clans form an impromptu team to try and police themselves, while trying to achieve dominance over the others and advance their own aims.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Not a fan of the magic characters but maybe a book with Dr Fate, Shazam, Zatanna and Constantine and build from that? Each of them has a big enough following. Why not use that to make money? If the reviews are good more readers will flock to a book like that.

BANNED

Think it worked for Gl because there is so much more stuff in that corner than just Hal Jordan.
    As such I would stick to a team like JLD and have them expand into the magical world of DC.

BANNED

There are characters who have followings,but can't sell books at all,others that sell books,but on the low end.DC needs to create team and team up books to capitilize and merge these together so they can "push" characters correctly and make some $ offor of it

The success of Green Lantern, and to a lesser extent Harley Quinn and Marvel's Inhumans, proves that you can build a franchise around any character provided you have quality art and writing AND you pile on the marketing really really thick.

So it boggles my mind that DC hasn't done this with WONDER fricken' WOMAN! She is one of DC's most recognisable stars, and yet AFAIK she has never had a second ongoing. That's ludicrous!
    Here's how I would build a franchise:

- Wonder Woman: The main book, featuring adventures in the here and now. Complex but still accessible stories, engaging with real world issues.

- Sensation Comics: A flashback book, filling in the gaps in her origin and the five years between Justice League #1 and now. The book to reintroduce her classic supporting cast and villains. Ideally would be written by the same writer as the main book, to tie together into one big a meta-story.

- Wonder Girl: A teenage Wonder Woman legacy character. How is that DC can't get this right?! A fun book with an 'indie' Batgirl/Ms Marvel feel, aimed at new readers.

- Amazons: A team of Amazons (Artemis, Phillipa, Aleka, et al) have adventures dealing with the gods and myths in the modern world. A way to expand on the mythological background of Wonder Woman. (My ideal title for this book would be 'A-Force', but Marvel jumped on that).

Have a clear five year plan for the books, maybe building to a Wonder Woman centred event.
    Make the Wonder Woman books the centre of the magical/mythical side of the CD universe. Occasional cameos and crossovers with Shazam, Constantine, Dr Fate, Zatanna, Swamp Thing, etc. Maybe even bring in Vertigo characters like Death, Morpheus and Timothy Hunter - that would get people talking!!

Push the feminist angle hard too - go big or go home! If you get the blogosphere on side, you can watch the plaudits roll in!
    Last edited by Cowtools; 01-15-2016 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by girlverine View Post
    Green Arrow, specifically to build off of Lemire's run.

I've kinda put some ideas into what I'd want to do. Have Ollie expand the Arrow-family, address the elephants in the closet of Roy and Dinah, and pick up some stuff that I'm surprised hasn't been capitalised on.

Specifically, here's the books I'd want:

-Green Arrow
    One of the two flagship books, and I kinda picture it as a book being written with...an Eastern vibe to it. Emphasise the ideas in Lemire's run, of Ollie and enlightenment. One of the characters I'd definitely reintroduce would be Conner Hawke, but turn him into...a monk, and Ollie's mentor.

-Katana
    The other flagship for the franchise. If Ollie is a gunslinger being written as a samurai, Katana should be a samurai as a Western. Her travelling the country, righting wrongs...old school GA/GL style.

-Outsiders
    Why isn't this canon yet...? Game of Thrones style intrigue as the six leaders of the Outsider clans form an impromptu team to try and police themselves, while trying to achieve dominance over the others and advance their own aims.
    Oh god how I wished they had done this.
    Dropping everything about Lemire's run as soon as it finished for a half-assed attempt to make the book more like the TV show was one of the stupidest, most counter-productive things DC has done lately.

As someone who got into Green Arrow via the show, I wholeheartedly agree. I'm a big Arrow fan...but trying to match the book to the show was a huge mistake.

Anyway, other franchise I'd like to see:

Earth-2. Specifically, I'd like Earth-2 to be done justice.

Have Society as the flagship book, the 'Justice League' title for that universe. It can handle the major events. Meanwhile, do solo series featuring the Big Characters of the JSA, each in their own parts of the world to flesh out the cities and the dynamics involved.

My recommendations:
    -Hawkgirl
    Another 'wandering the frontier, doling justice' type book, like I suggested for Katana. Maybe team her up with Doctor Fate. Kendra was being built as a detective and an archaeologist...so have the two of them explore the mysteries of their new world.

-The Flash
    Jay has become a real sad sack. Which is frustrating, because he was THE protagonist at first, and Mercury chose him for a reason. I think a solo series would let him get some of that spirit back.

-The Titans
    Aquawoman and Fury are two potentially fascinating characters who haven't been explored...so let's do something with them. They both have something most new heroes don't: experience. So... how about a team of the experienced heroes. It's a nice twist to the usual 'Teen Titans are the sidekicks' premise, because this team will be the heavy hitters, the ones who already know what they are doing... As a side note, they also double as an E2 version of the Birds of Prey. Aquawoman, Fury, Huntress and Power Girl, the survivors and heirs of the original Ternion, working together as a team.

-Neo-Gotham
    We need a Batbook. And frankly, if we can keep Dick put of the other books until someone fixes him, that would be great.

-Mister Terrific
    I'd keep him under the 'Neo-Gotham' banner, but have him be working with both Dickbats and the remnants of the World Government, while trying to find a way home and figure out what Sloane was really after...

Quote Originally Posted by girlverine View Post
    As someone who got into Green Arrow via the show, I wholeheartedly agree. I'm a big Arrow fan...but trying to match the book to the show was a huge mistake.

Anyway, other franchise I'd like to see:

Earth-2. Specifically, I'd like Earth-2 to be done justice.

Have Society as the flagship book, the 'Justice League' title for that universe. It can handle the major events. Meanwhile, do solo series featuring the Big Characters of the JSA, each in their own parts of the world to flesh out the cities and the dynamics involved.

My recommendations:
    -Hawkgirl
    Another 'wandering the frontier, doling justice' type book, like I suggested for Katana. Maybe team her up with Doctor Fate. Kendra was being built as a detective and an archaeologist...so have the two of them explore the mysteries of their new world.

-The Flash
    Jay has become a real sad sack. Which is frustrating, because he was THE protagonist at first, and Mercury chose him for a reason. I think a solo series would let him get some of that spirit back.

-The Titans
    Aquawoman and Fury are two potentially fascinating characters who haven't been explored...so let's do something with them. They both have something most new heroes don't: experience. So... how about a team of the experienced heroes. It's a nice twist to the usual 'Teen Titans are the sidekicks' premise, because this team will be the heavy hitters, the ones who already know what they are doing... As a side note, they also double as an E2 version of the Birds of Prey. Aquawoman, Fury, Huntress and Power Girl, the survivors and heirs of the original Ternion, working together as a team.

-Neo-Gotham
    We need a Batbook. And frankly, if we can keep Dick put of the other books until someone fixes him, that would be great.

-Mister Terrific
    I'd keep him under the 'Neo-Gotham' banner, but have him be working with both Dickbats and the remnants of the World Government, while trying to find a way home and figure out what Sloane was really after...
    For an Earth 2 expanded franchise I would like to DC some of the original names, as Infinity Inc instead Titans. But this are too good sugestions.
    Also a Flash: Earth 2 series would would be a good way to connect the earth 2 titlle to the bigger DC mainstream.
    Now, about Flash, what surprises me is there still no an expansion on the Flash titles depiste the higher presence he have in TV. No Rogues series or Speed Force, Star Labs or working in give the character world a bigger push. Even a Kid FLash series should be in the making right now. But give Wally a better suit.

If someone asked me to do this with a franchise, I'd attempt it with Legion of Superheroes. It has a crap load of characters and a vast setting. I'd probably start with two books. Legion of Superheroes and Legionnaires. The problem with them is that they're just not all that popular, so it probably wouldn't work, but the potential is there more for them than... say, Aquaman or The Flash, if you ask me.