Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The 2016 Academy Award Nominations

The nominations were announced for this year's Oscars.

BEST PICTURE

The Big Short
    Bridge of Spies
    Brooklyn
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    The Martian
    The Revenant
    Room
    Spotlight

BEST ACTOR

Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
    Matt Damon, The Martian
    Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
    Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
    Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl

BEST ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett, Carol
    Brie Larson, Room
    Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
    Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years
    Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Christian Bale, The Big Short
    Tom Hardy, The Revenant
    Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
    Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
    Sylvester Stallone, Creed

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
    Rooney Mara, Carol
    Rachel McAdams, Spotlight
    Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
    Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

DIRECTING

Adam McKay - The Big Short
    George Miller - Mad Max: Fury Road
    Alejandro G. Iñárritu - The Revenant
    Lenny Abrahamson - Room
    Tom McCarthy - Spotlight

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Anomalisa
    Boy and the World
    Inside Out
    Shaun the Sheep Movie
    When Marnie Was There

COSTUME DESIGN

Carol
    Cinderella
    The Danish Girl
    The Revenant

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Amy
    Cartel Land
    The Look of Silence
    What Happened, Miss Simone?
    Winter on Fire

DOCUMENTARY SHORT

Body Team
    Chau, Beyond the Lines
    Claude Lanzmann
    A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness
    Last Day of Freedom

MAKEUP AND HAIR STYLING

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
    The Revenant

ORIGINAL SONG

"Earned It" - Fifty Shades of Grey
    "Manta Ray" - Racing Extinction
    "Simple Song #3" - Youth
    "Til It Happens to You" - The Hunting Ground
    "Writing's on the Wall" - Spectre

ANIMATED SHORT

Bear Story
    Prologue
    Sanjay's Super Team
    We Can't Live Without Cosmos
    World of Tomorrow

SOUND EDITING

Sicario
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens
    The Martian
    The Revenant

FILM EDITING

The Big Short
    The Revenant
    Spotlight

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Embrace of the Serpent
    Mustang
    Son of Saul
    Theeb
    A War

ORIGINAL SCORE

Bridge of Spies
    Carol
    The Hateful Eight
    Sicario

PRODUCTION DESIGN

Bridge of Spies
    The Danish Girl
    The Martian
    The Revenant

VISUAL EFFECTS

Ex Machina
    The Martian
    The Revenant

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

The Big Short
    Brooklyn
    Carol
    The Martian
    Room

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Bridge of Spies
    Ex Machina
    Inside Out
    Spotlight
    Straight Outta Compton

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Carol
    The Hateful Eight
    The Revenant
    Sicario

The Revenant
    leads with 12 nominations. Mad Max: Fury Road has nine.

One of the takeaways is the number of name actors with first-time nominations: Bryan Cranston, Brie Larson, Charlotte Rampling, Tom Hardy, Mark Rylance, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Rachel McAdams and Alicia Vikander.

It's the first nomination for four of the directors: Adam McKay, Tom McCarthy, Lenny Abrahamson and George Miller.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

It's cool to see Mad Max up there, but I can't help but think it's more throwing a bone to the normal moviegoing crowd than actual consideration.

I saw the Martian just this past week. I know folks are holding out for Leo to finally get his Oscar, but Matt Damon really sold that movie.

BANNED

Best Picture really seems like one of the least interesting selection in years, at least Fury Road is in there. Most of the categories this year are just head scratchers, especially when it comes to stuff like costumes and production design. I do not get Star Wars being up for Editing, and The Revenant being up for Visual Effects.

Stallone has it in the bag

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    I do not get Star Wars being up for Editing, and The Revenant being up for Visual Effects.
    I guess people were really impressed with the bear?

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Thanks to a director getting a good performance out of him, that alone should have gotten Ryan Coogler nominated

"Writing on the Wall" wasn't a good song, if they wanted falsetto they should have gone with "See You Again" from Fast and Furious. Actually they just should have gone with "See You Again" because it's a good song.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Thanks to a director getting a good performance out of him, that alone should have gotten Ryan Coogler nominated

"Writing on the Wall" wasn't a good song, if they wanted falsetto they should have gone with "See You Again" from Fast and Furious. Actually they just should have gone with "See You Again" because it's a good song.
    To be fair Ryan wrote that script and went to Sly-before anything else was done. Sly said Ryan wrote the perfect script and he love it.

At least script Ryan should have gotten something. At least Marvel can add Ryan Coogler director of Creed with Oscar winner Sly Stallone in press release for Black Panther.

While sentimentally I'd love to see him get it, he does not have it in the bag. Christian Bale, Tom Hardy and Mark Rylance are all in the mix in my book.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

One hopes not. He would be my last pick.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I guess people were really impressed with the bear?

I guess for a bear the editing in Star Wars wasn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    It's cool to see Mad Max up there, but I can't help but think it's more throwing a bone to the normal moviegoing crowd than actual consideration.
    More the international crowd

Revenant (Birdman last year) - Alejandro González Iñárritu - Mexico
    Mad Max - George Miller - Australia
    Room/Brooklyn - Nick Hornby, Lenny Abrahamson, Emma Donoghue, John Crowley - Ireland/UK

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post

I saw the Martian just this past week. I know folks are holding out for Leo to finally get his Oscar, but Matt Damon really sold that movie.
    Given that Fury Road has been nominated by like everyone doing film awards, (and won some, including National Board of Review Awards 2015 Best Film) and it's showing up on most ever end of the year list, that seems pretty unlikely. It's also one of the only five films up for Best Director.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Given that Fury Road has been nominated by like everyone doing film awards, (and won some, including National Board of Review Awards 2015 Best Film) and it's showing up on most ever end of the year list, that seems pretty unlikely. It's also one of the only five films up for Best Director.
    I think it's almost a given that we are going to see Fury Road and Revenant split director/picture. The Academy's true bias has always been against previous winners. I think so many of these non-acting races are stacked and that we might see quite a bit of diversity among the winners.

As for who is going to win I think you have to look at four categories, screenplay, editing, directing and picture

The Big Short - P, SP, Ed, D
    Mad Max - P, SP, Ed, D
    Revenant - P, SP, Ed, D
    Spotlight - P, SP, Ed, D

Room - P, SP, D
    Brooklyn - P, SP
    Martian - P, SP
    Bridge of Spies - P, SP

We will get a better picture in the weeks ahead but it's also possible we might see a big upset this year if Spotlight, Mad Max, and The Revenant keep trading awards don't be shocked if votes don't get split and the hometown production The Big Short doesn't pull out the win.

BANNED

Academy membership rules were changed:

The organization is also instituting new rules affecting voting status: Each new member's voting status will last 10 years; renewal is dependent on that new member being active in motion pictures during that decade. In addition, members will receive lifetime voting rights after three 10-year terms or if they have won or been nominated for an Academy Award. The same standards will be applied retroactively to current members. Those who do not qualify for active status will be moved to emeritus status and, while they will enjoy other membership privileges, will not be able to vote. None of those changes yet will

And some reactions:

Another member of the PR branch who wished to remain anonymous fumed, "They did a knee-jerk reaction, when in fact the issue around actors [of color not receiving nominations] is in the actors branch — they are the ones who do the nominations!" He continued, "This 30-year rule is going to hit the PR branch and executives branch the hardest. What are you going to tell Bob Iger? He got in in 2005 when he took over Disney. He leaves in a year and goes to the NFL. So is he out? He is only building the Academy Museum."

A similar point was raised by another longtime member. He asked, "Who calls Les Moonves when CBS [Films] goes down? Then Rich Ross and Gail Berman? They’re in TV! And what about Jeff Shell and Kevin Tsujihara? They’re not going to be active for 30 years going forward. Michael Lynton once he’s fired? Beyonce and J-Lo? Are they in the movie business? Is Jada Pinkett Smith in the movie business? And by the way, there are a lot of Academy board members who aren't 'active,' like Jon Bloom or Bill Kroyer, who teaches, or Charles Bernstein, who hasn’t done a movie in 30 years." He continued, "I have news for you: older people who lived through the struggles for civil rights are way more sensitive to minority issues than young people who don’t understand what it was all about in the first place. It’s f—ing knee-jerk liberalism without taking into consideration what is fair. Bill Mechanic should get a special shout-out for waging a 10-year struggle to kick out older people and bragging about it in the Times. What an idiot." And, he added, "I imagine the NAACP’s film group [the Image Awards] is also racist for not choosing Ava DuVernay for best director for Selma?"

Yeah, I wonder how they'll whine next time around if the nominations come out still not as inclusive as Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett Smith think they should be.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

My only major quarrels with the nominees are the dull ass "Writings on the Wall" song (Easily one of the worst Bond songs to date) and Jennifer Lawrence once again getting rubberstamped for a pedestrian level performance in another godawful David O. Russell film. Charlize Theron or Lily Tomlin would've been much more deserving nominees in the Best Actress category than JLaw.

Otherwise these nominees aren't too shabby! I seriously can't express how happy I am that Rachel McAdams. Lady GaGa and Tom Hardy are now Oscar nominees!
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!