Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Suggestions for limiting your pull?

Hey everyone, I know it seems kind of weird talking about NOT getting comics in a comic book thread, but I'm trying to limit my comics budget, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which titles to cut. I like most of the titles I'm getting btw so don't try to convince me to drop anything because it's "bad".

Anyone have suggestions on how to cut down a pull box?

Incredible Member

I feel for you. I have been trying to cut down on my list and it is very hard. One of my suggestion is if you like X-men and Avengers books, there are multiple titles of each so pick the one you like the best and stick with that. Also, if there are books that are at the top of your reading pile you cant wait to read stick with those. If there are a few that lay around maybe for a week or two before you get to reading, think about dropping those.

One option is to make arrangements with other people to share digital codes for each other's titles. Let's say you and a friend both really love Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and Howard the Duck. Rather than both of you buying both titles, you get one, they get the other, and you swap digital codes so you can both read both comics.

I think there may even be a thread on this forum for swapping digital codes.

Mighty Member

When I buy a comic it's on character, writer, and premise. When I'm dropping them the first two things two go are the books I buy on premise and character.

Is it justified buying this book for just this character/these characters? Do I think the writer has a decent handle on x? Do I think this book is genuinely good, or am I just putting up with it because I like x? If both of those are no, dropped. If it's a good book that craps on my character/s, I'd say there's a 50/50 shot of me dropping it. It depends on how much they're crapping on them and how much I'm enjoying the other aspects of it like the story/premise/action/humor/strength of the other characters, etc.

Premise is simpler, do I like where this is headed? Do I think the writer is doing a good job exploring this premise? Does this still interest me? No? Dropped.

Writer is the most difficult to me. When I know a writer has written good things and is capable of good things, and I'm not enjoying what I'm reading, I really want to give it more time. A lot of the time it does indeed pick up, but if I find myself going, "I'm going to give it another arc. Ok, I'm going to give it another few issues. Ok, I'm going to give it another issue, wait, that's ridiculous, what difference would one issue make when I've hated the last six?" Dropped.

Depending on how much you're spending and how necessary it is for you to be up to date on comics, you could try Marvel unlimited. 10 bucks a month or less if you buy an annual package, and it's like Netflix for Marvel comics. You'll be behind the recent stuff by about six months.

Pre-order the trades in bulk over amazon, it's cheaper then buying the individual issues.

I would also recommend Marvel Unlimited, if you don't mind waiting 6 months to read stuff, the value of it is uncanny, a few times a year they even send of code that get a free month and sometimes even bonuses.

Spectacular Member

My strategy is just buying the ones I'm most excited for as they come out, and then wait for the rest to come to paperback.

If you don't mind waiting about 2 weeks to read your books, another option is to subscribe through Marvel. They offer up to 44% off, so you're paying $2.23 per issue with free shipping. If you trade the code you're effectively paying $1.12 for a book.

As Tiamatty said, there's a thread on here to trade codes. Reddit also has a board where you can trade/sell/buy codes. Hope this helps!

As someone who has the same problem and has recently done the same here are my tips:

1. Are you "taking the story in"? What I mean by this is when you read the book, are you enjoying the book as much as others you may be reading? Can you recall the story from the previous issue? This was my biggest issue, I was buying books that I thought I'd enjoy by as much as I read the story it just doesn't seem to click with me and I wasn't excited for it every month, so it was cancelled.

2. Avoid events. If you want to read an event then absolutely go ahead and read the event. But if it's an event across different books and you don't like the look of it, don't get the issues that feature the event. You can get them in the event trade later if you really want to catch up.

3. Select some trades. Don't pick up so many floppies. If there are books you're happy to wait for the just wait and get trade paperbacks/hardbacks when they come out. They're cheaper in the long run. That sort of goes back to point one - if you're not getting into a story as much, maybe finish getting floppies after the first arc and consider getting the rest in trade.

4. Subscribe. Most LCS will offer a subscription incentive, my local offers around a 15% discount when I'm subscribed so that's a saving there.

5. Use your best judgement (this is more generic). Marvel "reboots" are a great time to jump on, but wait for previews and reviews to come out before settling on a comic. You might find you don't end up liking the writing or art. This is more for the future than for now as you've already got things you like.

Hope this helps
    Cohost of the Attilan Rising Podcast available now: Attilan Rising Website | iTunes | Google Play

Monthly Pull List: I don't update this nearly enough

I am trying to do the same right now. My criteria is just kinda paying attention to which books i tend to read first, and how much i retain from last issue (assuming no big delays). If I have to read the recap page to remember what was going on, clearly it's not really sticking with me, even if I like it well enough as i'm reading, but there are some books where i remember everything, and I think about between issues, so they're keepers.

Incredible Member

I just buy a title either by a favorite character and/or artist, the writing comes last unless I've heard rave reviews on it.

Make a list of your favorite books in order. That list can be based on whatever - character, writer, art, etc. From there figure out your budget. If you only want to spend around 30 bucks, then take the top 8 or 9 total books (or however many you can keep without going over). Done. It sucks sometimes not getting the whole story but I really feel like as long as I am getting good value in the books that I pull then it doesn't matter about what I am missing out on.

Marvel Unlimited is a great alternative as well even though I am a big fan of helping out local comic book shops.
    Pull List
    Marvel - All Marvel.
    Image - Saga, Walking Dead

Creator and host of Informal Talks podcast at InformalTalks.com and on iTunes!

Marvel Unlimited and just Trades of the things I really like when they come out. I was never into the collecting/hoarding aspect, so it saves money AND shelf space.

Only downside is being behind but it doesn't really bother me.

Marvel Unlimited is great. Also if something is always at the bottom of your reading pile, it's probably something you don't need. Just wait and read it on Unlimited.