Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Default Batman/Superman #28 Preview/Discussion

Batman/Superman #28

It’s an untold tale from the early days of Bruce and Clark’s crime-fighting careers! A new 3-part epic from another time begins here as Batman and Superman are pitted against a menace that will test their partnership—and their friendship!

HERE

I enjoyed this issue. I thought it was decently paced, had some good writing and nice art. I like that old Lobo is in the comic, I miss that guy. The giant is pretty cool, it kind of reminds me of the giant encountered in Detective Comics recently.

I really liked the Clayface fight. Batman is trying his hardest to defeat Clayface and Superman solves the problem in 10 seconds. Yet with all his power, he is useless when it comes to looking at a giant dead alien and deducing who it is, why it died and how to investigate the matter. Bruce just shows up and answers everything like a boss. I like the dynamic the two have going.

Eh, I'm about done giving Taylor chances writing Superman. He just doesn't get it. He looked like an idiot having to have Bruce point out everything to him, then you had Lobo and the other villain only concerned with Batman being able to find them. Batman's thing is being the detective, we all get that, but you can play on that without having to make his partner look like a moron. He's not just dumb muscle, and if that's what Taylor is intent to portray him as I'll wait out his run till it gets a better writer. Also, Taylor didn't get the memo that Bruce and Clark aren't uneasy allies anymore. They're bros. In this continuity Batman would still be stubborn accepting help from Superman yes, but it'd be way more light-hearted. Pak's writing on this particular title got really vanilla after a while, but if the alternative is going to be this and Taylor doesn't up his game and actually understand these incarnations of the characters, then I miss Pak already.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-14-2016 at 09:04 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Eh, I'm about done giving Taylor chances writing Superman. He just doesn't get it. He looked like an idiot having to have Bruce point out everything to him, then you had Lobo and the other villain only concerned with Batman being able to find them. Batman's thing is being the detective, we all get that, but you can play on that without having to make his partner look like a moron. He's not just dumb muscle, and if that's what Taylor is intent to portray him as I'll wait out his run till it gets a better writer. Also, Taylor didn't get the memo that Bruce and Clark aren't uneasy allies anymore. They're bros. In this continuity Batman would still be stubborn accepting help from Superman yes, but it'd be way more light-hearted. Pak's writing on this particular title got really vanilla after a while, but if the alternative is going to be this and Taylor doesn't up his game and actually understand these incarnations of the characters, then I miss Pak already.
    This comic takes place in the past, back when they were not as chill with one another.

True, I can buy that and take that part back, but that would only excuse Batman's characterization. The problems with Superman remain either way.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member

they dont distrust each other batman just did not want supermans help you remember when you were a kid and you wanted to do things all by yourself batman feels the same way sometimes as for the wound he just didn't want superman babying him again lol
    Last edited by hero talk; 01-15-2016 at 06:34 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I don't think Superman came off badly at all here, a little vanilla perhaps but not dumb.

BANNED

Taylor is really trying to favor batman, at the end this is a team up comic.

this book is enjoyable again, really digging the story.

Are you talking about injustice as his other chance writing superman. I mean honestly.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Extraordinary Member

I really liked this issue. The story was compelling. Batman and Superman's interactions, imo, were well-crafted and true to their characters. You could feel the annoyance of Bruce at Superman getting in the middle of his fight with Clayface. I mean, I imagine if I were Bruce in the early days and just getting to know Clark, I'd also be ticked off at this super powerful guy butting into my turf.

Also, the art. Oh my god, the art. It was insanely good. Robson Rocha should seriously get more work at DC.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Just to see Superman (not broke SM), and see Batman (not Jimbat) brought tears to my eyes.... I loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by napolid View Post
    Are you talking about injustice as his other chance writing superman. I mean honestly.
    No, I was referring to his Earth 2 Superman. And not Bizarro, the real E2 Superman before he was killed off again. But even Injustice Superman is a hell of a lot better now in season 4 and 5 under Buccellato rather Taylor.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-17-2016 at 04:02 PM.

Extraordinary Member

For some reason, this issue really felt to me like the Superman/Batman series from before Flashpoint. Although, the early Greg Pak/Jae Lee issues felt that way to me as well. I think its because that series to me was always about portraying Superman and Batman as interacting with the rest of the DC Universe as sort of a big giant playground. I feel like we got some of that back with this issue, what with the cosmic murder mystery here. For once, this title isn't mired in the endless crossovers that Berganza and his lackeys have forced on the writers.

This was most enjoyable

No, I was referring to his Earth 2 Superman. And not Bizarro, the real E2 Superman before he was killed off again. But even Injustice Superman is a hell of a lot better now in season 4 and 5 under Buccellato rather Taylor.
    Taylor never wrote the real earth 2 superman.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol