Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The All-Purpose Legend of Wonder Woman DIGITAL ONLY Spoilers/Discussion Thread

Since the digital threads seem a bit slow and we're always a few weeks behind, this thread is meant to discuss the series in DIGITAL FORM, which is pretty far ahead of the print version. So feel free to continue the print issue threads, but for now, this will be the place to post about the newest digital issues.

SPOILER WARNING: If you're only reading the print edition and don't want to be spoiled, I'd advise leaving this thread!

Issue #10 just came out on Thursday, so let's discuss!

As for my thoughts on #10:

spoilers:
    It looks like the villain MAY be Hades, since he manipulates a young man named Thomas Byde into leaping to his death from a cliff (with the words "Now you are mine.") But that "Time to deceive" line could mean the Duke of Deception, who I'm honestly hoping for over Hades. I think having the old couple be the first non-Steve humans that Diana meets was a nice touch, since a grandmother's kindness is pretty unmatched. The end made me so happy, we're finally getting the classic Etta back and it seems unreal.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    As for my thoughts on #10:

spoilers:
    It looks like the villain MAY be Hades, since he manipulates a young man named Thomas Byde into leaping to his death from a cliff (with the words "Now you are mine.") But that "Time to deceive" line could mean the Duke of Deception, who I'm honestly hoping for over Hades. I think having the old couple be the first non-Steve humans that Diana meets was a nice touch, since a grandmother's kindness is pretty unmatched. The end made me so happy, we're finally getting the classic Etta back and it seems unreal.
    end of spoilers
    Hope it's not spoilers:
    Hades
    end of spoilers.

This all-purpose thread is a very good idea! Often my thoughts on an issue change or don't coalesce until weeks later. With this thread I can pop in and say whatever is on my mind about the digital chapters regardless of which issue is the "current" one.

I found the old, cantankerous-but-in-love couple to be charming. (They also made me think of the Kents finding baby Kal-El.) I wonder if they'll recur.

Hades didn't instantly occur to me as the villain. I have no idea who it is at the moment. Perhaps I'll get a clue upon rereading.

Etta seems like she's going to be a hoot already without even making an in-person appearance yet!

Calling WW's bracelets "armlets" seems totally pointless to me.

ETA: I had no idea the story was going to be set in the forties. I like the forties and WW.
    Last edited by Largo161; 01-15-2016 at 10:23 AM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Amazing Member

I'm wondering if the old couple's grandson will turn out to be Steve. Would be nice for them to have a happy ending.

Oh...and I'm cool with Diana getting the bulk of her super powers from the artifacts, apparently. I never really got into the indestructible superwoman she's become.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

We're 10 digital issues in and the book has an average review score of 8.7 on Comic Book Roundup. Between the high review scores and mostly positive feedback I've seen from readers/fans, I'm wondering if, maybe, this take on Wonder Woman should have been the New 52 in-continuity version. The creative team has captured Diana's voice, look, and personality perfectly. The story seems prime for a future DC Animated movie release and an action figure line.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Spectacular Member StaticShock99's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    We're 10 digital issues in and the book has an average review score of 8.7 on Comic Book Roundup. Between the high review scores and mostly positive feedback I've seen from readers/fans, I'm wondering if, maybe, this take on Wonder Woman should have been the New 52 in-continuity version. The creative team has captured Diana's voice, look, and personality perfectly. The story seems prime for a future DC Animated movie release and an action figure line.
    Considering how little continuity has mattered lately, how mixed Azzarello's run was received, and how disliked Finches run is they might as well make this the in-continuity origin and relaunch Wonder Woman with De Liz writing. That's what I hope they do anyway since I've been ignoring her main title all together.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StaticShock99 View Post
    Considering how little continuity has mattered lately, how mixed Azzarello's run was received, and how disliked Finches run is they might as well make this the in-continuity origin and relaunch Wonder Woman with De Liz writing. That's what I hope they do anyway since I've been ignoring her main title all together.

I would be thrilled if DC decided to go that route.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Chapter 11 was the best one yet.

spoilers:
    Etta is perfect. She was funny, sassy, confident... everything you'd expect from the Golden Age version. Marston, I feel, would be really proud of De Liz for getting her right (which evidently is difficult since nobody else can seem to do it). The other Holliday Girls were all pre-existing characters, too: Glamora Treat and Lita (Little) were the only ones mentioned thus far. Diana's struggle and shock from being "stranded and lost" is also pretty powerful. I'm excited to see her grow into a confident heroine (with help from Etta).
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by StaticShock99 View Post
    I'm enjoying the story for the most part, but there's still so much to learn about what kind of Wonder Woman De Liz's version will ultimately be, I don't know if I'd go this far (yet.)

ETA: I picked up my print copy of LOW#1 today. While the colors are more beautiful on a tablet than on paper, I do think the artwork flows better on whole pages instead of half pages.
    Last edited by Largo161; 01-21-2016 at 12:54 PM.

Chapter 11 was the best one yet.

spoilers:
    Etta is perfect. She was funny, sassy, confident... everything you'd expect from the Golden Age version. Marston, I feel, would be really proud of De Liz for getting her right (which evidently is difficult since nobody else can seem to do it). The other Holliday Girls were all pre-existing characters, too: Glamora Treat and Lita (Little) were the only ones mentioned thus far. Diana's struggle and shock from being "stranded and lost" is also pretty powerful. I'm excited to see her grow into a confident heroine (with help from Etta).
    end of spoilers
    I found Etta's reaction to Diana to be a little bit hard to swallow. She seemed too nonchalant about it all. (I might be tempted to say the same about the old couple who took Diana in, but they seemed to be rather eccentric in their own special way, so I'm going to cut them some slack.) I would imagine that Diana would arouse a bit more shock and surprise and curiosity in people.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I found Etta's reaction to Diana to be a little bit hard to swallow. She seemed too nonchalant about it all. (I might be tempted to say the same about the old couple who took Diana in, but they seemed to be rather eccentric in their own special way, so I'm going to cut them some slack.) I would imagine that Diana would arouse a bit more shock and surprise and curiosity in people.
    The way I took it, it doesn't really matter to Etta who Diana is, she saw that she was in trouble and wanted to help her (as the crowd around her certainly was shocked and surprised). Obviously she's not dumb about it, though, and I'm sure she'll want to know who she is eventually since she's letting Diana stay at her dorm. But I think it's safe to assume she knows Diana isn't a danger to her.

I'm really looking forward to future issues with the two. Something that's been missing for a while now in the main comic is companionship for Diana. She's just always on her own. Female-led series like Xena or Netflix's Jessica Jones excel, for me anyway, because of the friendships between Xena/Gabrielle, Jessica/Trish, etc. I've always thought Etta is the perfect match for Diana.

Amazing Member

I'm really looking forward to future issues with the two. Something that's been missing for a while now in the main comic is companionship for Diana. She's just always on her own. Female-led series like Xena or Netflix's Jessica Jones excel, for me anyway, because of the friendships between Xena/Gabrielle, Jessica/Trish, etc. I've always thought Etta is the perfect match for Diana.
    I agree. The female companionship has been greatly lacking. While Zola sort-of filled the role in the regular series, it was never really convincing. Additionally, Etta has a sense of fun and WW comics have been missing that element for far too long.

I would like to see Diana do more of the talking, though. The last two issues have been mostly others doing it for her. Also hoping too soon see her as Wonder Woman.