Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Wonder woman #3 [spoilers]

Wasn't much of a fan of the first rebirth wonder woman issues. Diana couldn't form a sentence without using the word "truth" and almost felt Mark Millar-esque at times (for instance Diana stopping the gang rape, felt very juvenile.).

But this issue had some chops. For one thing, while I wasn't very moved by it (since I didn't find the build up that very good) the story went somewhere. To me this should'v been the last issue, instead of it's endless exposition. Diana even took the words from my mouth when she says: "Whatever the truth", and they then move on with it.

Barbara is on about what became of her, and how Diana supposedly let it happen. To which Diana responds that Barbara did it herself.

They then fight some hairy monster men. But not as brutal as before, which was nice to see. Or perhaps Diana feels like to relax a bit, and enjoy the things Barbara does to her foes. Regardless, Diana puts her foot down. Says no more asskicking today. Barbara says she can't help it, so Diana tries to do just that. Barbara asks her for help to cleanse her being from the curse. Diana agrees. They then set out to find a temple, and Themyscira.

And elsewhere action man Steve Trevor drives a jeep with his merry men, and arrives to what looks like the same ruin jungle as Diana and Barbare are venturing through.

As I said, I found this better written than the earlier issues. While I guess some of it could be of the mystery itself, but Barbara says Diana is a princess. Isn't she still the queen of the amazons? Nice to see Diana going with the reform rout with Barbara as well. The reform stuff was one of my favourite things of the story Azzarello and Chiang created, and it's nice to see it return. Diana giving someone a hug insead of choking the life out of someone/thing. And drokk me, if I'm not actually thinking Cheetah is sort of a good character. Job well done.

Art wise. Liam's last name is Sharp. And he definitely is. Brilliant artist.

So what do you think?

--What's up with the temple they're heading for?
    --What's up with the ruin jungle?
    --Is Diana a princess or a queen?
    Last edited by borntohula; 07-27-2016 at 01:39 AM.

I thought it was good. BIt off topics but I don't see what juvenile about stopping the gang rape in the first issue. If it was Millar, Diana wouldn't have even shown up.

As for the princess or queen thing, my theory is that Diana might still be queen but Cheetah refers to her as princess out of familiarity.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I thought it was good. BIt off topics but I don't see what juvenile about stopping the gang rape in the first issue. If it was Millar, Diana wouldn't have even shown up.
    Point. Would probably been something out of Kick ass...

Still. IMO. Way it was written. A bunch of thugs in suits carrying uzis at a club that says XXX. In the last minute Diana comes into the picture. Kicks ass. Saves the near rape woman. Applause. Diana leaves.

Dunno. I thought it was a bit too "easy" (cheap). If a woman is nearly raped, I think there should be a bit more to it than that --than a point to who are the bad guys of these 3-4 pages, and who's the hero. But that's me.

As for the princess or queen thing, my theory is that Diana might still be queen but Cheetah refers to her as princess out of familiarity.
    That could be it. A bit like Han Solo and Leia eh
    Last edited by borntohula; 07-27-2016 at 02:10 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Wasn't much of a fan of the first rebirth wonder woman issues. Diana couldn't form a sentence without using the word "truth" and almost felt Mark Millar-esque at times (for instance Diana stopping the gang rape, felt very juvenile.).
    Millar-esque would be if she joined in instead of stoppping it.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

In regards to the Princess/Queen stuff, I think she's back to being a princess for some reason or somehow entirely. JL Rebirth also referred to her as an Amazonian Princess.

I love this Cheetah a lot.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Cheetah is great in this. The only real issue I have is the dialog, sometimes it seems really unnatural. They speak so stilted. Best scene by far is when Diana calmed Barbara down.

I just wanted to leave a link to this review here, because it's so good, and this issue has left me quietly devastated.

http://blacknerdproblems.com/wonder-woman-3-review-2/

BANNED

Wonder Woman's hair goes from straight to wavy to curly, to very long to shoulder length all in the space of a single issue
    It was a nice 5-minute read, Steve is handsome and Wonder Woman still doesn't use contractions

Cheetah's backstory would've been more poignant with proper build up but it was nonetheless moving
    Last edited by Pamp_Lusa; 07-27-2016 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamp_Lusa View Post
    Wonder Woman's hair goes from straight to wavy to curly, to very long to shoulder length all in the space of a single issue.
    Pointing out the obvious, I feel; curly hair does that when it dries out.

Cheetah's backstory would've been more poignant with proper build up but it was nonetheless moving
    I definitely have the impression that "The Lies" relies upon the audience having some familiarity with the canon; it's almost implicit in the premise, and I think it will resonate more if you do. "Year One" is in contrast to this, and is naturally accessible.
    Last edited by trypr; 07-27-2016 at 07:11 AM.

Loved it.

I do predict that Cheetah is part of the lies. It wouldn't surprise me if she has been pulling at Diana's heartstrings to get her help in offing Urzkartaga (though I'm sure she is genuinely tortured by the god and wants him gone). I do wonder if Cheetah gets the final blow for Urzkartaga, if she'll gain his powers as Diana did with Ares in Azz's run.

If not, and Barbara is completely the victim, I may end up liking it a bit less. I am interested to know how much help Barbara could be for Diana, and why she was the first person she went to after she couldn't find Themyscira.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by trypr View Post
    Pointing out the obvious, I feel; curly hair does that when it dries out.
    Her dry hair goes from wavy to curly to straight (ish) in no particular order, her hair in the last page was the same length as her wet hair in the beginning, he's just not consistent with her hair is all

Always Rakzo

Gotta be honest here: I don't like this version of Cheetah.

She seems too weak in terms of character easily succumbing to her animal side and constantly complaining about her curse, she doesn't appear to be a worthy antagonist personality-wise. I have always thought that a perfect nemesis for Diana would be someone cunning, manipulative and more importantly, in control of herself. The current Cheetah has none of those attributes.

Oh, and the Cheetah's accent can get pretty annoying pretty quickly.

Not badly written per se but some things bothered me. Great art though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Gotta be honest here: I don't like this version of Cheetah.

She seems too weak in terms of character easily succumbing to her animal side and constantly complaining about her curse, she doesn't appear to be a worthy antagonist personality-wise. I have always thought that a perfect nemesis for Diana would be someone cunning, manipulative and more importantly, in control of herself. The current Cheetah has none of those attributes.

Oh, and the Cheetah's accent can get pretty annoying pretty quickly.

Not badly written per se but some things bothered me. Great art though.
    An antagonist can be written in a variety of ways. It's likely we're not meant to see Cheetah as Diana's perfect nemesis. That role might be given to someone else.

Short read.
    Overall Sharp is pretty good, though at times his art is a bit stiff.
    The story doesn't move much, except that we have a villain now.

Not bad, not good, the art pushes it above 5/10 for me.

BANNED

An antagonist can be written in a variety of ways. It's likely we're not meant to see Cheetah as Diana's perfect nemesis. That role might be given to someone else.
    In a lot of ways, I would like a Cheetah that's more cunning and more deliberate in her cruelty and embrace of savagery (both physical and sexual). But if we're going for a more bestial Cheetah, this is a good portrayal. This Cheetah is more of a threat to Diana's emotional and spiritual prowess than to her physical well being.