Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Also, pretty interesting interview at Newsarama with Renae de Liz. Some highlights for me:

Quote Originally Posted by Renae de Liz
    For instance, people always talk about how Diana promotes gender expectations for women, but Steve Trevor is a critical character as well. I know first-hand many issues that face women, but I also have three sons, and I see what they face as boys. They are taught to be this vision of a "strong male." They must always be tough and brawny. They must never show emotion other than anger, because it is perceived as "weak." I wanted Steve to fight this in Legend of Wonder Woman. He's not the 'best of the best' tough-guy, with a chiseled jaw and a six-pack. His strength resides in his heart, and his will to always do whatever it takes to do the right thing. Diana being taller and stronger than him doesn't emasculate him, and he is not afraid to show his emotions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renae de Liz
    I extremely enjoyed Etta Candy, who basically barged into the story from the Golden Age and wrote herself because she's that dynamic and awesome. She's another important character in terms of diversity concerning body type. In my personal experience, I always found average/plus-sized women are not taken seriously as a character, or are written around their size. Etta proves that you don't have to be built a certain way to be witty, clever, smart, brave, attractive, and especially, worthy. And that weight does not need to be a focal point all the time.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post

Renae really gets Steve and Etta. This is the best portrayal of both characters in decades.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

I'm curious as to whether or not Book 1 would have ended as it did if Book 2 didn't get the green light? Was there an alternate ending? Even though I used the word "closure" before, I'm feeling like we didn't quite get that with Diana and her mother. The island still seems to be troubled, if I'm understanding what was presented.

I loved that in-joke with Alcippe suggesting Diana carry some thing "better suited" like a mace. Hera forbid!

I didn't know that there was a Cyborg Easter egg in the story. Not well-versed in that character, but after reading a review of print issue #6 I learned that Lt. Stone likely has some connection to Cyborg.
    Last edited by Largo161; 06-03-2016 at 11:37 AM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Ditto on Steve and Etta's portrayal here, my absolute favorites.

Not really looking forward to see the Justice League start showing up, I'd prefer it if they kept this focused on WW. Would very much prefer to see more of Priscilla Rich as Cheetah.

I've read this book - in print - #1 thru '6 and really felt it took off when Diana reached Man's World - especially with Etta Candy. The characterisation was really well done and the art is a delight to behold. What really stuck with me though was the lack of smiling from Diana. I know, kinda odd. She wasn't emo-woman or anything, but she did seem quite joyless. The whole world on her shoulders - which is kinda understandable seeing as she has sensed this impending doom since she was knee high.

I really felt that, the moment when Wonder Woman stood before Etta in her full costume - it would have been really quite touching to have had that as the moment when she smiled. Ready to take on the world...

Excellent series though.

Hey guys! Just popping in to thank you all once again for reading the series through to the end! Strange to me it's over already.

Anyway, i'm hard at work on Vol. 2, which would take place directly after the end of Vol. 1. I very much enjoyed your input and ideas offered in this thread, and took it all to heart. If there are any further ideas, or things/people you'd like to see, feel free to share it!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Renae De Liz View Post
    Hey guys! Just popping in to thank you all once again for reading the series through to the end! Strange to me it's over already.

Anyway, i'm hard at work on Vol. 2, which would take place directly after the end of Vol. 1. I very much enjoyed your input and ideas offered in this thread, and took it all to heart. If there are any further ideas, or things/people you'd like to see, feel free to share it!
    The last books with the fighting scenes and the way she took her powers were awesome, it would be great if there are more fighting scenes like this or even better ones . An idea would be that after her win (I guess a few months after that), the dark force (or whoever that was) that sent the first manhunter now sends a more advanced version (or even many of them) designed to kill Wonder Woman (it/they should actually be stronger than wonder woman) and destroy earth which she should barely win and survive (both with her strength and by outsmarting them, plus the most important, her will power) but immediately after that (without the time to recover from her previous fight) an even more powerfull force pop ups and she will have to do something that seems impossible...
    Last edited by kochtgr; 06-13-2016 at 10:49 PM.

Just noticed that last week Vox.com published a list of the "13 best comics right now":

1. A-Force: a superhero team you'll quickly fall in love with

2. Bitch Planet: a heartbreaking call to arms

3. Black Panther: writer Ta-Nehisi Coates takes on his dream job

4. Bombshells: a love letter to DC's female superheroes

5. Faith: a superhero we can relate to

6. Jonesy: a comic book to fall in love with

7. Lumberjanes: the most powerful comic about friendship

8. Monstress: a dazzling, unapologetic, and gruesome adventure

9. Ms. Marvel: the generation-defining hero we need

10. Paper Girls: the next great American comic book

11. Plutona: Lemire and Lenox have created a haunting stunner

12. The Legend of Wonder Woman: the comic a legendary hero deserves

13. The Wicked + The Divine: a comic book love letter to music, fame, and mythology

"The common knock on Wonder Woman, a.k.a. Diana Prince, has always been that her origins — which involves that magical lariat of truth, Amazons, and Greek weirdness — is too weird and too esoteric for a general audience to understand. In 2013, an exec at DC Comics called the character "tricky" because she doesn't have a single, clear backstory that everybody knows. This alleged comic book unapproachability is why Wonder Woman's origins have been changed so many times, and a major factor in why it's taken so long for a Wonder Woman movie to be made.

Ray Dillon and Renae De Liz's brand new comic The Legend of Wonder Woman is the magic bullet to that problem. A DC digital-first comic (meaning it starts out intended for online reading and then published in print), Legend of Wonder Woman begins with Diana's mythology-driven childhood on the island of Themyscira and follows her journey into becoming Wonder Woman.

The comic leans into Diana's campy, Greek mythology-driven roots but also maintains a sense of humanity when it comes to showing the pressure of growing up as Queen Hippolyta's daughter. It boasts a well-designed mix of geekery and inclusivity that rewards both longtime fans and Wonder Woman neophytes. And though it isn't cannon, you'll wish it were, because De Liz has really made Wonder Woman's story more relatable and accessible.

Perhaps the most surprising thing about the comic is it the way it reminds you of how hilarious and unapologetically political Wonder Woman can be. The book is a celebration of feminism and women, but it doesn't feel like anyone is being punished to make a point. De Liz and Dillon use the setting of World War II and Diana's lack of understanding about life beyond the island Themyscira to hilariously illustrate how women, including Diana herself, are constantly underestimated.

Just like its hero, there's a kindness to The Legend of Wonder Woman that extends beyond its pages. It's a charming and disarming read. And De Liz and Dillon have really given Wonder Woman the comic she deserves."
    Last edited by Largo161; 06-23-2016 at 09:43 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Glad to see LOWW made the list(and Bombshells too)!
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

More praise for LoWW. AVClub.com includes the series on its list of the best comics of 2016 (so far):

"While fans were waiting for the return of Greg Rucka to the Wonder Woman book, many were turning to the digital-first Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman and Legend Of Wonder Woman titles to tide them over.

A perfect example of just how strong a story can be with a single creator at the helm, Legend Of Wonder Woman is both written and drawn by the remarkable Renae De Liz. It’s an all-ages story that focuses on personal choice, the strength of both duty and friendship, and the difficulty in growing into your own skin under the watchful eye of an expectant community. Taking Diana back to her roots in World War II grounds the book firmly in history without limiting the impact as De Liz’s adept handling of the characters and their concerns makes them universal. The return of Etta Candy is a welcome one, and particularly in the face of the impending Wonder Woman movie, the book is the perfect companion for new fans that want to learn about the character.

De Liz and her husband Ray Dillon, who contributes inks, colors, and letters, have created a world full of both worry and wonder, the latter of which has been imprudently missing from depictions of Diana for a while now. [Caitlin Rosberg]"

Incredible Member

The original 1986 'legends of wonder woman' mini series is now avalible for download on comixology.

Its a nice throw back to the golden age....

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    The original 1986 'legends of wonder woman' mini series is now avalible for download on comixology.

Its a nice throw back to the golden age....

Our Wonder Woman series went by a different name for a long time during production. Right before launch we decided to change it to LEGENDARY WONDER WOMAN because we felt that fit better with our style, but there was a legal issue with "Legendary". I believe our editor suggested Legend of Wonder Woman and we liked it. Had no idea there was a previous book with that title. Didn't find that out until months later when someone tweeted us asking if it was a revamp of that series. It definitely wasn't. We were pretty shocked to discover that, actually. We've heard it's great, though, so yeah, everyone go read it!

In other news, RENAE has created a sketch and topic that has gone viral! It's about how to de-objectify super-heroines, which is something that has made her THE LEGEND OF WONDER WOMAN series so special.

You can see Renae's original tweets here! https://twitter.com/RenaeDeLiz/statu...05004296200192

And it's now been collected by several news sites, including HUFFINGTON POST today! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...0e2e15eb581a6?

Drawing-Women-Tutorial-Renae-De-Liz.jpg

AND we're hard at work right now on the WONDER WOMAN 75th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL and THE LEGEND OF WONDER WOMAN Vol. 2! Stay tuned!

Thanks, everyone for your support!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RAY DILLON View Post
    Our Wonder Woman series went by a different name for a long time during production. Right before launch we decided to change it to LEGENDARY WONDER WOMAN because we felt that fit better with our style, but there was a legal issue with "Legendary". I believe our editor suggested Legend of Wonder Woman and we liked it. Had no idea there was a previous book with that title. Didn't find that out until months later when someone tweeted us asking if it was a revamp of that series. It definitely wasn't. We were pretty shocked to discover that, actually. We've heard it's great, though, so yeah, everyone go read it!

In other news, RENAE has created a sketch and topic that has gone viral! It's about how to de-objectify super-heroines, which is something that has made her THE LEGEND OF WONDER WOMAN series so special.

You can see Renae's original tweets here! https://twitter.com/RenaeDeLiz/statu...05004296200192

And it's now been collected by several news sites, including HUFFINGTON POST today! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...0e2e15eb581a6?

Drawing-Women-Tutorial-Renae-De-Liz.jpg

AND we're hard at work right now on the WONDER WOMAN 75th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL and THE LEGEND OF WONDER WOMAN Vol. 2! Stay tuned!

Thanks, everyone for your support!!!
    I saw this the other day, and I have to say that Renae handled the whole thing WONDERFULLY! Kudos!