Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I do like the story and it has yet to disappoint me. Overall I am really looking forward how everything will ultimately play out. What gets me most about this version of her origin is how many female relationships are being portrait, especially because those relationships between women have been pretty lacking in the main continuity during recent years.
    Showing Diana's shock through lack of speech and her more reacting than taking action is really nice. That Etta took her to her dorm immediately felt a bit strange but Diana did look really lost and I feel as if Etta would take instant action in such a situation. All in all Etta was how I wished she would be. It felt as if the sass was seeping through my PC screen but she still seemed to care somewhat about Pammy. It was a good exposition for the character.

Fantastic Member

These past two episodes seem like pointless digressions. It's really weird to see Diana just standing there mute while people yammer on around her. The last one, with the old couple, was especially cliched. This one with Etta was better but it still seems pointless. Why can't Etta be introduced in a way that serves the story instead of distracts from it? Why can't the mysterious force or villain affect the people at Holiday College? Instead we have this long character introduction and we're only reminded of the plot when Diana muses at the end on her predicament. Like I said, digression.

I definitely like the look of Diana now that she's grown up. But it's off-putting to see her standing there mute for two whole episodes.

And if this is supposed to be the definitive origin for Diana for years to come, they haven't really accomplished that for me. It's still Steve crashes on the island and Diana wins a contest to take him back, with a bunch of other frippery that doesn't seem particularly relevant or stirring.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    These past two episodes seem like pointless digressions. It's really weird to see Diana just standing there mute while people yammer on around her. The last one, with the old couple, was especially cliched. This one with Etta was better but it still seems pointless. Why can't Etta be introduced in a way that serves the story instead of distracts from it? Why can't the mysterious force or villain affect the people at Holiday College? Instead we have this long character introduction and we're only reminded of the plot when Diana muses at the end on her predicament. Like I said, digression.

I definitely like the look of Diana now that she's grown up. But it's off-putting to see her standing there mute for two whole episodes.

And if this is supposed to be the definitive origin for Diana for years to come, they haven't really accomplished that for me. It's still Steve crashes on the island and Diana wins a contest to take him back, with a bunch of other frippery that doesn't seem particularly relevant or stirring.
    she still very young and she is far away from home and possibly can't come back. Also lot of different people and culture. she is in shock, this is normal and very human.

BANNED

I definitely agree with SeanT, Diana's had this relentlessly glum, melancholy countenance for most of the story so far, I don't think she's smiled even once. That does put me off a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    she still very young and she is far away from home and possibly can't come back. Also lot of different people and culture. she is in shock, this is normal and very human.
    I agree. She thought she could play the hero and return Steve, but she failed and now she's stranded in a world she's unfamiliar with -- a world she's only heard horror stories about from her sisters. It's a lot to take in, especially since she's still so young. I find it more engaging than, say, if she was already the super-confident adult Wonder Woman from the 40's.

I do see the point that she hasn't really smiled or shown to be very happy in the previous issues, though.

Hello! Just popping in to thank all of you for continuing to support the series and for sharing your thoughts! It's been quite the experience with this series, and glad to know overall people enjoy it.

The current Diana is the beginning point she must grow from to become a true Wonder Woman who loves the world, and enjoys being part of it. Etta takes it upon herself to hack away at those pre-built walls and prejudices Diana has against the Outside World, and drag her out from her overly serious demeanor to have some fun. So I hope you enjoy the evolution of Diana.

Thanks again everyone! Here is the cover for Issue #5: Chapters 13-15 (Logo placement not final). Diana amongst other Wonder Women of the past.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Thanks for the preview. Diana is gorgeous as always. I like how your Diana isn't rail-thin, stocky, or reminiscent of a female wrestler. She's toned and solid looking - just right.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Fantastic Member

There are two ways Diana can experience man's world-- there's the Marston version, where she marches in with gusto, and the Perez version, where she's shocked and stunned and scared.

I prefer the Marston version. I like a Wonder Woman who embraces the new world she's discovered. I don't mean to suggest she wouldn't be afraid or concerned for her inability to get back-- an idea i think is amazing, that other writers have touched upon-- but that still, in the midst of that, she still can't help but be thrilled by what she sees. Even Perez had her exulting at Vanessa's youth, the animated movie showed her experiencing children for the first time (and changing a young girl's life forever), and Geoff Johns had her elated by ice cream and rock'n'roll. Even having her outraged at small injustices and throwing herself in to help would be fun.

To see Diana standing, dumbly, not even reflecting on what she sees, is really disaffecting.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Thanks for the preview. Diana is gorgeous as always. I like how your Diana isn't rail-thin, stocky, or reminiscent of a female wrestler. She's toned and solid looking - just right.
    I agree. She looks great.

I am afraid this Wonder Woman isn't particularly "wonderous" to me.
    The two last issues were extremely wordy.
    Not a fan of the superpowers via the outfit.
    Not a fan of the lack of superheroics.
    have never been a fan of "Sad Diana." It was the worst part of the Rucka run.
    It does bother me that so much emphasis was put on male gods.
    My biggest issue however is that too often Diana is written as a reactive hero by writers. Marston was one of the few who made Diana smarter than everyone around her and pro-active. Someone to learn from. Steve learned from her. Etta learned from her. The Holiday Girls. Her enemies (like Paula) who became friends. This Diana seems like she is going to be doing all the learning.

The good is that it is clearly a WW story. And Diana is clearly the central character. Unfortunately, for me at least, this particular unhappy-slightly stronger than the average man-loner is not a character that resonates with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    I am afraid this Wonder Woman isn't particularly "wonderous" to me.
    The two last issues were extremely wordy.
    Not a fan of the superpowers via the outfit.
    Not a fan of the lack of superheroics.
    have never been a fan of "Sad Diana." It was the worst part of the Rucka run.
    It does bother me that so much emphasis was put on male gods.
    My biggest issue however is that too often Diana is written as a reactive hero by writers. Marston was one of the few who made Diana smarter than everyone around her and pro-active. Someone to learn from. Steve learned from her. Etta learned from her. The Holiday Girls. Her enemies (like Paula) who became friends. This Diana seems like she is going to be doing all the learning.

The good is that it is clearly a WW story. And Diana is clearly the central character. Unfortunately, for me at least, this particular unhappy-slightly stronger than the average man-loner is not a character that resonates with me.

It seems like all of the Amazons are slightly more powerful than humans in this continuity(like under Perez) so how would you like Diana to become more powerful than them yet all of the other Amazons having a fair chance at winning the contest? In my perfect world, Diana is born with the same abilities as her sisters but after winning the contest, the Olympians bestow her Superman-like abilities to her so that she can be their champion of peace to Man's World. Getting her abilities from her outfit is a good runner-up for me. Still, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post

Gotta stay tuned. This is a 270-page origin story about her growth from a little mortal girl *into* WONDER WOMAN. She's not going to start off perfect, always smiling, way more powerful than everyone, smarter than everyone, not needing to learn anything. It's about growth. The end result is WONDER WOMAN.

Superman didn't start off understanding the entire world and his responsibilities and powers. Batman didn't start off fully trained with a focused goal of what who he was and what he would do. Spider-man let a criminal go leading to his Uncle's death. And so on. They learned from the people they met, the experiences they had, the trials they went through, their mistakes and successes.

BANNED

People need to realize that Liz & Dillon aren't trying to channel Marston or Perez. Maybe whatever they did won't exactly work for their take. And there's nothing wrong with Diana being scared, I would most likely be terrified if I was in her position. Her silence makes sense, i also think she's being observant as well.

Now that the villain is revealed in #12, I'd love to know what you would hope to see from him, and thoughts on his character from previous storylines.

Quote Originally Posted by Renae De Liz View Post
    Now that the villain is revealed in #12, I'd love to know what you would hope to see from him, and thoughts on his character from previous storylines.

I'm thrilled that you chose this villain instead of rehashing another one of the Olympians or Circe for this story. his design looks great from what we can see so far! Given this villain's previous connection to Ares, it would be fun to see him team-up with both Nubia and the Silver Swan.