Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Why is she standing like that? As opposed to just standing up?

And, why are the claws way to thick for her wrist?

Why are her wings so...

Why does... oh the heck with it. We jknow why. It's just sad.

But, she has cleavage and she isn't dead, so surely, she's a dynamic strong female character and at least two people here on the board will swear they know girls from school who had shiny metal cleavage just like that.

Quote Originally Posted by dahllaz View Post
    *snorts*
    She looks really stupid and completely unprepared to be fighting anyone. There's showing cleavage and then there is being ridiculous with how unzipped a uniform is/how much is showing. This is firmly in the ridiculous zone.
    Then there's how she is standing. *rolls eyes* Are they trying to go for an X thing? It just ups the ridiculous factor.
    I never really cut anyone slack on drawing Mimic, because he's Mimic, but now I'm realizing X-Force era Calvin Rankin was really lucky. He was ripped, and shaggy looking, and ferocious even though he had twenty other characters stapled to his body. He could've looked like this and been beaten up by Caliban.
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 06-20-2014 at 12:38 PM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Greg Land's art always reminds me of an Onion headline: "Art Student's Nudes Obviously Copied From Hustler"
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by dahllaz View Post
    *snorts*
    She looks really stupid and completely unprepared to be fighting anyone.
    Agreed. And here's the problem with female characters being done as Very Sexy all the time - not only does that look silly, it's not actually sexy. It's not sexy because it's silly and because it looks artificial & lazy and there's no character in there. The art was sacrificed in the name of Very Sexy and it can't even achieve that.

Spectacular Member Puppetmaker Grae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    How does this image of Rogue look to everyone?
    Not great. What's going on with her legs? Her costume looks more like body paint than any attempt at fabric. It's Greg Land isn't it?

BANNED

On the other hand there is nothing wrong with a good beach scene.

Harley_Quinn_7_2014_Page1_0001.jpg
    Last edited by Mark; 06-20-2014 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong place.

What do you guys think of this cover from Action Comics #32? This was part of DC's bombshell variant covers this month, done in a retro pin up style.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I think we also have to look at which audience is being targeted for certain books. I don't think selling sex appeal is sexist but selling a female character who's dumb or who's only purpose is to be violently beaten etc. is.
    This made me think of Tigra. I haven't seen many of her appearances in Avengers Academy, but the way BMB wrote her in his Avengers was, well...a little problematic.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Well I don't think a feasible solution is to simply to make the art milder and less attention grabbing, some kind of new impulse needs to be there to push it in a more novel direction. It all depends on what kind of ideal you want to shoot for I suppose, though there isn't any area of modern life where women aren't pressured to express their sexuality in order to get ahead.
    I don't know if I'd phrase it like that. There are many women who make careers in the clergy, the military, law enforcement, childcare...I don't know that every woman is being told, "If you wanna make it as a kindergarden teacher, yer gonna hafta show a little leg!" On the other hand, there's probably not any area where they haven't had to deal with harassment of some sort or glass ceiling issues.

My thing is, I think that comic book art can be attention grabbing without going the thong and broke back route. It can still be sexy too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    This made me think of Tigra. I haven't seen many of her appearances in Avengers Academy, but the way BMB wrote her in his Avengers was, well...a little problematic.
    Bendis currently has his hands on Dazzler and it looks like she'll get the Wanda/Tigra treatment.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    What do you guys think of this cover from Action Comics #32? This was part of DC's bombshell variant covers this month, done in a retro pin up style.

Cheesecake of the oldstyle, she could have graced the nose of a bomber back in WW2.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Sexism in videogames. Different medium similar top.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmN2HZ0qGI8

She looks really stupid and completely unprepared to be fighting anyone. There's showing cleavage and then there is being ridiculous with how unzipped a uniform is/how much is showing. This is firmly in the ridiculous zone.
    I think going with an unzipped look is actually worse than just having a very deep neckline. It draws attention to the fact that the costume could be less revealing but the artists doesn't want it to be.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Groo Odyssey wants reviews:

Out of context, I have no problem with an homage to Vargas-style pinups. In the context of the stuff going on in the comic industry right now, the whole "event" was probably not a very good idea.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

If comics ever got the point where something like the bombshell covers were considered highly inappropriate or something to be wiped away, I guess I would stop spending on anything but maybe back issues for what would no longer be a hobby. The idea of censoring those, for example, could be a slippery slope I'd rather not have come to pass.
    Last edited by Jadis; 06-20-2014 at 09:57 PM.
    Kurt Angle:"Canada is lacking two things.The first is Olympic heroes,and no Ben Johnson does not count.The second is Memorial Day.We in the States celebrate our heroes by having barbecues.I realise here in Canada you can't have barbecues because you'd be attacked by a moose,a caribou or even a grizzly,it's true! Hold on a second - you'd probably be attacked by a grizzly as well.On second thought..the Grizzlies don't beat ANYBODY here in Vancouver,let alone anywhere else,it's true,it's true!"

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    But, she has cleavage and she isn't dead, so surely, she's a dynamic strong female character and at least two people here on the board will swear they know girls from school who had shiny metal cleavage just like that.
    This is probably my favorite justification for hypersexualized women in comics.

I didn't really have a problem with any of the bombshell variants because their purpose was quite clear. Ironically, Starfire's variant was more tastefully than every single one of her covers in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I agree with you but here's the thing if a woman is drawn as ubersexy is that the same thing as sexism? I can understand if that's not the characters m.o it would bother people. Take a character like Storm for instance, yeah it would bother me if she was suddenly sexed up because to me she's never really been that type of character. Beautiful? Yes. Really sexy?No. Same thing with a character like Kitty. But then there's a character like Tigra or Catwoman who are sexual characters and when they're drawn that way it doesn't bother me.
    My issue with Tigra being hypersexualized is that she's supposed to be more of a cat than a hairy woman with an extremely high libido.