Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    My opinion...

There's only three creators they care not to lose.
    And to them, everyone else is expendable.
    Let me guess... Lee, Johns, Snyder?

Easier said then done with creators wanting to their own stuff, non-superhero stuff, more pay and a go at something different. I mean why do you think a lot of athletes in leagues move to different teams in FA (Money and something different)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    Are you arguing that DC shouldn't bother to try and attract new talent? Or that it wouldn't make a difference with the current editorial regime?
    It doesn't matter to the editorial regime. Especially when they don't care about the talent or they misuse the talent. What is the point of having writers when the writers don't have creative freedom on their books and have to slave to the plotlines editors want. To the editors the likes of Liefeld/Finch/Daniel as writers can be interchanged with say the Edmondson/Gates/Diggle. There is absolute no regard or respect for writers if you have that situation.

And it has been the practice for a while for new creators to start on a C-list title, and if the reaction is good, they get bumped up to a higher-profile book. That was how people like Johns and Bendis got started way back in the 2000s. Shouldn't DC be doing that now?
    But that is not happening @ DC! What you are seeing consistently are most of the talent not getting promoted either a) leaving comics altogether, b) being stuck permanently writing c-list books for DC or c)leaving for Marvel or back to Image. The last creator that got promoted into the A-List at DC was Scott Snyder. This is why people like Soule and Lemire (and probably King) left DC. There is no opportunity there to succeed on the a-list books when you have no chance or you are basically a puppet for the editor like in the Superbooks unless you are Morrison/Snyder/Johns. In the past decade look at the number of A-list writers Marvel has churned out: Hickman, Slott Bendis, Remender, Waid. And I am not even looking at guys like Millar,Fraction and Brubaker who have left the Big 2.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 01-15-2016 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    It doesn't matter to the editorial regime. Especially when they don't care about the talent or they misuse the talent. What is the point of having writers when the writers don't have creative freedom on their books and have to slave to the plotlines editors want. To the editors the likes of Liefeld/Finch/Daniel as writers can be interchanged with say the Edmondson/Gates/Diggle. There is absolute no regard or respect for writers if you have that situation.

But that is not happening @ DC! What you are seeing consistently are most of the talent not getting promoted either a) leaving comics altogether, b) being stuck permanently writing c-list books for DC or c)leaving for Marvel or back to Image. The last creator that got promoted into the A-List at DC was Scott Snyder. This is why people like Soule and Lemire (and probably King) left DC. There is no opportunity there to succeed on the a-list books when you have no chance or you are basically a puppet for the editor like in the Superbooks unless you are Morrison/Snyder/Johns. In the past decade look at the number of A-list writers Marvel has churned out: Hickman, Slott Bendis, Remender, Waid. And I am not even looking at guys like Millar,Fraction and Brubaker who have left the Big 2.
    Yeah, okay. Sooooooo... what's the problem?
    I'm arguing that DC should stop doing these things and start doing the opposite. I'm not sure what you're arguing.

DC has a knack for finding new Talent, Marvel's just better at stealing them
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

Anarakdos

But that is not happening @ DC! What you are seeing consistently are most of the talent not getting promoted either a) leaving comics altogether, b) being stuck permanently writing c-list books for DC or c)leaving for Marvel or back to Image. The last creator that got promoted into the A-List at DC was Scott Snyder. This is why people like Soule and Lemire (and probably King) left DC.
    Pretty sure King's not going anywhere soon; He just recently mentioned planning something with Snyder and Johns (I'll see if I can find the source) and his only Marvel title is selling at a d-list level (even if it is great).
    There is no opportunity there to succeed on the a-list books when you have no chance or you are basically a puppet for the editor like in the Superbooks unless you are Morrison/Snyder/Johns. In the past decade look at the number of A-list writers Marvel has churned out: Hickman, Slott Bendis, Remender, Waid. And I am not even looking at guys like Millar,Fraction and Brubaker who have left the Big 2.
    Well, to be fair, Slott and Bendis aren't really results you can take pride in. And Lemire hasn't had anything stand-out at Marvel either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    That is true since Nu52. Prior to that Marvel was better at both finding new talent and stealing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarakdos View Post
    Well, to be fair, Slott and Bendis aren't really results you can take pride in.
    Being A-list has nothing to do with writing ability. It's just being able to move books. I don't like Slott either, but you can't deny that his name sells.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarakdos View Post
    And Lemire hasn't had anything stand-out at Marvel either.
    Right but I am saying his departure was motivated by the fact that he wasn't getting the top books. At least Marvel is willing to give him what seems to be the top X-book at the moment along with Hawkeye. What DC gave him was basically GA, a book nobody at editorial cared enough about and was cycling through creators every storyline.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 01-16-2016 at 08:38 AM.

Hopefully DC grooms King to be the next A-Lister, the guy is incredible and he's work shows it, give him a Leaguer (Not Superman that damn line needs to be fixed), relaunch Flash and/or Green Lantern let him work his magic there, two leaguers plus Grayson might be the kick he needs to be exclusive to DC.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Someone is gonna come in in a minute asking why everyone on DC boards are so negative ::rolls eyes::

But yes. DC is not nearly as writer friendly as Marvel is. DC sticks by crap writers who barely have a following (Lobdell, Nocenti) while the awesome creators get sidelined and end up signing exclusive deals with Marvel. It's very annoying. Someone in DC, whoever makes these decisions, is literally an idiot.

I really have no doubt that, in time, we'll lose King, Seeley, and others to Marvel.
    Last edited by brandnewfan; 01-16-2016 at 09:18 AM.

Astonishing Member

Keep/expand: Tom King (Green Lantern, Legion, Detective), Genevieve Valentine (Batwoman, Wonder Woman, The Question), Mark Russell (Green Arrow, the Question, Teen Titans), Tim Seeley (Supergirl,, Steve Orlando (Aquaman, Teen Titans, JSA, Authority), Max Landis (Superman), Holly Black (any magic characters; Constantine, JLD, etc), Rob Williams (Flash, Authority), Patrick Gleason, Greg Pak (whatever, he's versatile)

Bring in: John Hickman, Al Ewing, Alex Paknadel, Si Spurrier, me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    not true, Marvel find a lot of new talent.

Astonishing Member

Nope Marvel really hasn't had much luck in that department since Marvel NOW.

They have been either pillaging the ones from DC like Edmondson, Lemire, Soule, Wilson and Bennett or using their existing talent. But the Quesada era use of indie talent seems to have decreased.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 01-16-2016 at 10:32 AM.

Fantastic Member DeathFalcon182's Avatar

Nope Marvel really hasn't had much luck in that department since Marvel NOW.

They have been mostly pillaging the ones from DC most especially people like Edmondson, Lemire, Soule, Wilson and Bennett.
    Nick Spencer, Al Ewing, Chip Zdarsky?

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    not true, Marvel find a lot of new talent.
    Which would be who exactly?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

And speaking of not-in-continuity books, DC should put Max Landis on a Superman ongoing.
    No. That would be a massive mistake. Landis would not do well at all having to write a book in continuity. He is like Jeph Loeb in that if he can just tell his own self contained stories out of continuity he is fine, but he would be nightmare on a regular ongoing.