Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    There are two more books, and from the sound of it the run perhaps isn't to your likening. No worries. Each to their own.
    I actually liked what I read of Azzarello's run a lot, I just didn't think it was particularly forward-thinking about gender.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    I never considered lgbt themes as something you had to shield away from children but I get that thinking, I guess.
    Could be that Philippus and Hippolyta as a couple is the direction DC's taking, but they don't want the clickbait/moral outrage to overshadow the buzz of the series. Establishing something like that slowly over time helps take some of the bite out of the backlash.

Depends on the era.

BANNED

I don't know how you would work it in without it being hamfisted. You can have a couple of amazons express frustration about their lover to one another but other than that I can't see it being a big enough deal to the Amazons to go out of their way to mention it to people. They are a Mono-Gendered Gay/Bi Society as a whole so that is their norm.

It would be like going out their way for people to know that Superman or Batman is straight, They like women and don't go out of their way to make it known other than maybe kissing a women here and there. Diana Likes men and women but is more of a 75% male/ 25% female type of Bi. The only reason it came up In Azz's run before is because on of her Amazon sisters was attracted to her and wanted to get with her so Diana had to turn her down which set the other women off because she got turned down.

So other than showing standard relationship stuff with Amazons and some of them kissing after a battle I'm not sure what else you can do unless you do an Annual on Just the Island and It goes into the Daily Life on Themyscrya.

I think every incarnation of the Amazons would be fine with same-sex relationships, I don't think they'd have the same idea of orientation (much as the male ancient Greeks didn't consider themselves bisexual, despite having same-sex relationships), but I can't see any version actively being opposed to same-sex attraction and relationship.

Personally, what I think would be interesting to explore is how immortality and sexuality would intersect. Depending on the continuity, Amazons are either humans or human-like beings, but they're always immortal and it could be interesting to see what this would produce--sexuality wise--after a few thousand years. It might also complicate the issue of monogamy, since couples could theoretically never die if they avoided being killed in battle or through an accident. I could see polyamory among Amazons being a common practice. The Amazons might also have certain practices relating to sexuality that no other country on Earth has, given their unique situation.

BANNED

I imagine there are two aspects of this really, even if both questions have either been kept rather vague or not brought up:

Lesbianism: No issue on any level. The Amazons have been living as a single gender society for 3000 years with the barest minimum of contact with the rest of the world. The Amazons are supposed to be human, so I very much expect them to be completely cool with the idea... since they are from a time and place (ancient Greece) where what we today call homosexuality was actually practiced as a bonding ritual between soldiers, and they have been very short on options when they needed the intimacy.

Trans: This is might be kinda odd, but I think the Amazons would at first find it amusing, but I dont think they would accept one, simply because the Amazons are old fashioned. And even if they themselves have broken the gender-mold and do what wasn't expected of their gender (in the greeks mind that is), I am not sure they would look all that kindly on a man going the other way. In part because they cant be sure if (s)he isn't mocking them, or is someone thats just 'trying to sneak into the girls bathroom' kind of thing. And at the end of it they might also have issues wrapping their heads around the idea of the operation thats now possible, along with the idea of someone willing to go that far.

This is ofc only how I imagine they'd see someone from mans world whose gone through all of this without the aid of anything but a doctor. It might be different if the change has been made through magic. (considering how the Amazons have been dismissive of modern medical practices in the past... Rucka's Io was at least, and she was a blacksmith). This perception is based on the modern Perez+ Amazons, who have very warrior like attitude much of the way, it might be different if its one of the older, more philosophically based versions.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    I don't see anything about rage on ms anne review, seemed very balanced and with real concerns.
    I said it was critical. I enjoyed reading it, as I often do with her reviews (even if I don't agree with them every time).

"all the rage" (idiom.). Anne's review got spread around alot. I saw it mentioned on several news sites as well as forum posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosch View Post
    I actually liked what I read of Azzarello's run a lot, I just didn't think it was particularly forward-thinking about gender.
    Hope you finish reading it. IMO book 5, 6 does some interesting stuff with Hera among other characters. Story reaches a full circle with some big twists that makes a re-read even bigger

Also. Sorry if I went off topic.
    Last edited by borntohula; 01-18-2016 at 02:53 AM.

Thanks for all the replies. As I say, I kinda assumed homosexuality was something that they wouldn't even really consider.

I included the LBG part for completion...but it is mostly the T I was interested in. Kind of a shame that it sounds like there hasn't been any stories dealing with trans issues, though mainstream transgender representation is kinda new in comics.

I think there are a lot of stories that could be told about the Amazon's reactions to it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Desean101101 View Post
    I don't know how you would work it in without it being hamfisted. You can have a couple of amazons express frustration about their lover to one another but other than that I can't see it being a big enough deal to the Amazons to go out of their way to mention it to people. They are a Mono-Gendered Gay/Bi Society as a whole so that is their norm.

It would be like going out their way for people to know that Superman or Batman is straight, They like women and don't go out of their way to make it known other than maybe kissing a women here and there. Diana Likes men and women but is more of a 75% male/ 25% female type of Bi. The only reason it came up In Azz's run before is because on of her Amazon sisters was attracted to her and wanted to get with her so Diana had to turn her down which set the other women off because she got turned down.

So other than showing standard relationship stuff with Amazons and some of them kissing after a battle I'm not sure what else you can do unless you do an Annual on Just the Island and It goes into the Daily Life on Themyscrya.
    this is a lot of guessing from what was on page

Mighty Member

theyve always intended to have subtextual lesbian reading and many writers have described them all as lesbian/bisexual so i do believe that should be something they outright portray. Also, I'd love to have some trans amazons one day.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I think we ignore a little too much that Wonder Woman had bisexual (uncredited) cowriters from moment one. But, in any case, I'm glad to see Diana with a girlfriend in Earth One. Like the comic or not, that was a good step (and imo, nicely handled).
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I think we ignore a little too much that Wonder Woman had bisexual (uncredited) cowriters from moment one. But, in any case, I'm glad to see Diana with a girlfriend in Earth One. Like the comic or not, that was a good step (and imo, nicely handled).
    I don't think it was nicely handled

I don't think it was nicely handled
    That's why I stuck an imo on that. Do you agree, though, that it was a good step?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    That's why I stuck an imo on that. Do you agree, though, that it was a good step?
    a good step showing that ww is bi? I think it was, but not the way morrison wrote

a good step showing that ww is bi? I think it was, but not the way morrison wrote
    That's what I meant. Just checking.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by willienotwilliam View Post
    theyve always intended to have subtextual lesbian reading and many writers have described them all as lesbian/bisexual so i do believe that should be something they outright portray. Also, I'd love to have some trans amazons one day.
    How the hell do you have Trans Amazons? No Hormone treatments to make them more manly and how the hell are Trans men going to get to the island?