Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm more than thrilled Marvel has decided to give less popular characters a chance, but there are about 5 #2 issues already shipping below 25k and I've never seen that happen before.
    Really? Maybe not all at once, because Marvel hasn't launched this many books at once, but glancing at July 2010, Hawkeye and Mockingbird and Young Allies were both at least 4,000 below 25k on issue #2, and that wasn't unusual for the time, since books got cancelled at issue six back then on the regular. Sales across the board were down: the 138th best selling book in December 2015 was ~20k, whereas in July 2010 it was ~13k. So it's hard to call this an across the board catastrophe, though I do wonder if bundling up books in a relaunch like this has had a negative sales effect on some of them. But, going back a couple years, I also think you have to realize there's no guarantee that Marvel would hype their lesser-known characters even if they were launching them a lot more slowly. Depressing to think about, but there it is. Marvel has a set marketing budget, too, and probably most of that money goes into stuff with the biggest chance of success.

I agree that there's more focus on the already popular characters than the comedic characters, at least from Marvel. But you might hear about some books more on the internet than others because of fan reaction. People talk about books like Squirrel Girl here b/c so many people dislike the book, and then some people defend it, and then on and on. Just like it's the stuff that people post on tumblr that gets circulated. I don't think that diminishes the criticism about Marvel about not advertising its product properly, but if you are sad there's no discussion thread on CBR for a book you want to talk about, you can start that thread.
    FYBW: my Black Widow blog.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Sorry but what does NA Marvel titles mean?
    I meant to write ANAD, but NA= new age titles

The feeling I get is certainly more in terms of online promotion, but also articles and related media. Characters like SG and Gwenpoll seem to generate some buzz, even if by just how sheer fun and seemingly a gambit they are to be published, but higher profile characters like Hercules are getting less..I dunno, attraction? To me it`s been falling in that rank that some titles have of being an absolutely quality title that seems to be going a bit under the radar.

It might be that some titles like the "fun" ones are being aimed at a market that is now more explorable with the sucess of Guardians and the like. Hercules had way more backing in his former run, but again it started by replacing the Hulk and it went further. It may be a character that they are never worried whether is a main hit in terms of sales or not, since it`s not featured in the cinematic universe so far and its not a "all ages fun" niche title. Look at Strange, I don`t think him and Hercules started that differently in the new titles, since they aim at similar tastes and public (not all ages, not "fun", but a broad road trip mystical adventure and its consequences) but It`s bound to pick up with the profile raise of the coming movie.

This is mainly my perception, I`m not drawing in a game of numbers, by the way. Altho I know (again: Hercules) it`s not a main seller of Marvel among the new wave of titles.

I know Vision is doing well, but how is Karnak been doing?
    Last edited by Aioros22; 01-19-2016 at 02:22 PM.