Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

In terms of Sentry, while Bendis surely contributed, we can't really blame him, as he was that blatantly overpowered Plot Device from the get go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    -Snip-
    I know, I just felt the need to be rhetorical while feigning sympathy for him.

His Ultimate X Men run is one of my pet peeves, especially with the unnecessary creepiness and WTFery that is Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's relationship. And his reason for that is "because I can!" He has serious problems. -_-

Still hate Quesada more.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    I know, I just felt the need to be rhetorical while feigning sympathy for him.

His Ultimate X Men run is one of my pet peeves, especially with the unnecessary creepiness and WTFery that is Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's relationship. And his reason for that is "because I can!" He has serious problems. -_-

Still hate Quesada more.
    I think you are confusing Bending with Mark Miller. (Millar?)

Bending has written some of my favorite comics, but the man has little respect for continuity, including his own. Which makes him problematic for big team books or characters like Sentry.

Unfortunately, a significant fraction (possibly a majority) of the Sentry stories were written by Bendis so you can't dismiss them.

Because his Avengers and GotG are really bad. At least that's my reason. Also, he kills off characters a bit too willy nilly too much for my liking and is horrible with continuity.

He can totally be good, Ultimate Spider-man is great in general, but that's mainly for solo series. He should stay away from team books.
    He's got a pretty glaring flaw that is 'cannot write or understand anything beyond street-level, and cannot do anything useful when it comes to team stories'. His spiderman was good, great even. But everything else is an inconsistent mess.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Because his Avengers and GotG are really bad. At least that's my reason. Also, he kills off characters a bit too willy nilly too much for my liking and is horrible with continuity.

He can totally be good, Ultimate Spider-man is great in general, but that's mainly for solo series. He should stay away from team books.
    And he made Iceman gay for dating Kitty Pryde and paying way too much attention to Internet Jokes.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

BANNED

Sentry is just another random comic book character for a small town or priority reading. Goku is basically Bruce-Lee but is also an alien ( which explains his power ). If the sentry had caught him as a kid, maybe he would have won, but again the power level itself would need to be calculated as well. Sentry might as well be as tough as King Picalo, or Kami. Since they are the most powerful beings on the planet.

Again going into the Z saga, there are tons of characters that out weigh him all together. Then of course there is Majin-Boo ( Buddha etc whatever ).

What the Sentry has going for him, is his stories, or his audience. So again Goku would win by his audience alone, If we were to really settle this.

Quote Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
    Sentry is just another random comic book character for a small town or priority reading. Goku is basically Bruce-Lee but is also an alien ( which explains his power ). If the sentry had caught him as a kid, maybe he would have won, but again the power level itself would need to be calculated as well. Sentry might as well be as tough as King Picalo, or Kami. Since they are the most powerful beings on the planet.

Again going into the Z saga, there are tons of characters that out weigh him all together. Then of course there is Majin-Boo ( Buddha etc whatever ).

What the Sentry has going for him, is his stories, or his audience. So again Goku would win by his audience alone, If we were to really settle this.
    So... Completely ignoring how Rumbles works.

Neat.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

This has been most enlightening. Thank you all who participated.

Conclusion: Goku kicks the crap out of the Sentry.

I have tried to watch a couple of DBZ cartoons, but found them really annoying to sit through as I felt like I kept waiting for stuff to happen. It's weird, but watching DBZ cartoons is a lot like reading current Brian Michael Bendis comics, almost nothing ever happens. Any recommendations on maybe a two or two and half hour movie or a couple of episodes of DBZ to really sell me on Goku feats?
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    This has been most enlightening. Thank you all who participated.

Conclusion: Goku kicks the crap out of the Sentry.

I have tried to watch a couple of DBZ cartoons, but found them really annoying to sit through as I felt like I kept waiting for stuff to happen. It's weird, but watching DBZ cartoons is a lot like reading current Brian Michael Bendis comics, almost nothing ever happens. Any recommendations on maybe a two or two and half hour movie or a couple of episodes of DBZ to really sell me on Goku feats?
    Well, the DBZ anime is extremely padded since they were trying to keep up with the vastly more concise manga. You might want to check out the manga, or possibly Dragonball Z Kai, which is basically the official de-fillerization of the anime. The Battle of the Gods and the Rebirth of F movies give a good idea of the general level that Goku and Vegeta are operating at now, though Dragonball Super is altering and expanding on the events of both movies.

That being said, I can't recommend Dragonball Z Abridged by Team Fourstar enough, even though its not official or following canon exactly.

re: The universal feat, we -all- know the entire point of that whole sequence was to show that Goku + Beerus' combined power was enough to destroy the universe, and also that Goku + Beerus figured out a way to nullify the effects of their power so it wouldn't happen. Instead of character statements, however, they decided to show it, and showed it in a weird way.

We -know- that's what was attempted to be portrayed, so I personally don't see any real reason to nitpick the really weird fashion in which it was actually shown (because they had to plot shield the earth because Goku couldn't survive in space).

Since the ending to that sequence was "okay, I figured out how to punch where I don't blow up the universe" and the ending to the next sequence was "I can nullify this universe destroying ki," we shouldn't really expect that kind of effect to show up in later fights unless it's a Buu or Cell "screw it, I'll just blow up everything" plot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    In terms of Sentry, while Bendis surely contributed, we can't really blame him, as he was that blatantly overpowered Plot Device from the get go.
    He was never meant to be a proper superhero in the first place. The whole design was supposed to be for a single self-contained story -- after all, his saga began and ended with global mindwipes to erase him from Marvel memory -- but Bendis (as much as I love him) campaigned hard to bring him back and use him as a daily hero, which inevitably watered him down.

It'd be the same as if Dr. Manhattan got an on-going book, I'd imagine. He's best in a self-contained story like Watchmen, but trying to come up with challenges for suitable tension would just be bad for him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    That being said, I can't recommend Dragonball Z Abridged by Team Fourstar enough, even though its not official or following canon exactly.
    I know this isn't TFS's intentions at ALL, but binge-watching Abridged really help me understand relations of powerlevels and scales a lot better than before. Without all that filler and padding (and with the humor to keep attention focused), my mind didn't wander nearly as much, nor did the powerlevel gaps seem to be what I remembered from watching the first-run of DBZ. It's a pleasant side effect for me.
    Last edited by Cyke; 01-22-2016 at 09:26 AM.

Sentry, easily. DBS is always misinterpreted.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyvurg View Post
    By the Gods, you're alive!

Arx Inosaan

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rhyvurg View Post
    we meet again, stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    By the Gods, you're alive!
    Who told you that? They're a bunch of liars I say! Liars!