Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The equality OF comics

So when are we going to drop all this manga, manhua etc. bollax and just call comics comics, regardless of where they're from and lose any negative preconceptions of content?

For all the talk of "equality on this site, no-ones ever seems to bring this up, whilst graphic novels seem reserved for adults, and comics are what kids read. Really?

When are we going to stop calling comics comics and just sequential arts or pictorial stories? Not all are comics are comical, even when they try.
    BB

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

VivaChiba just dropped in?:

So when are we going to drop all this manga, manhua etc. bollax and just call comics comics, regardless of where they're from and lose any negative preconceptions of content?

For all the talk of "equality on this site, no-ones ever seems to bring this up, whilst graphic novels seem reserved for adults, and comics are what kids read. Really?
    Actually it gets discussed a lot. It just tends to be dismissed with "you're a grown ass adult, you shouldn't give a crap what anyone thinks of what you do for entertainment or what they call it". Stigmas and labels are unimportant. I like calling them "funnybooks" myself, just to irritate those that think calling them graphic novels gives them some kind of adult cachet or something.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    When are we going to stop calling comics comics and just sequential arts or pictorial stories? Not all are comics are comical, even when they try.
    Shazam!

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Actually it gets discussed a lot. It just tends to be dismissed with "you're a grown ass adult, you shouldn't give a crap what anyone thinks of what you do for entertainment or what they call it". Stigmas and labels are unimportant. I like calling them "funnybooks" myself, just to irritate those that think calling them graphic novels gives them some kind of adult cachet or something.
    Thanks for the intelligent, non-flippant response.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Back in the 70's, Weekly Manga Magazine featured Lone Wolf and Cub by writer Kazuo Koike and artist Goseki Kojima. It's called Manga because it was created for the Japanese audience. Plus the style adheres to the19th century art form. Even the English translation of Lone Wolf and Cub is still classified as Manga. Dark Horse comics published several omnibus editions. Some shops have sections devoted to Manga/Anime etc. My shop is too small for such a section. However, I found LW among the Independent titles. It's a popular series. Most shop owners normally keep a few volumes on the shelf.

Saying, I have an interest in comics" is juvenile. Now saying, "sequential art specializing in Japanese culture" sounds more worldly & mature.

See?

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I dunno. Call something manga and I can pretty guarantee I won't like it. So, it helps me.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by VivaChiba View Post
    Probably never, in large part because comics in other countries tend to get more cultural respect than they do in the U.S. and I doubt the publishers and creators in those countries would be so willing to shed those labels and jump into the same bin as U.S. comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    I heartily endorse this sentiment.
    Last edited by kalorama; 01-19-2016 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I dunno. Call something manga and I can pretty guarantee I won't like it. So, it helps me.
    I'd be curious as to why? I mean, Japanese/Asian comics cover pretty much every genre and seem to target their intended audience, age-wise, a lot better.

Old School,

I'd have to say that my three favourite comics of all-time are:
    1) Lone Wolf and Cub
    2) Ranma 1/2
    3) The Dark Knight Returns

I only read the first volume of Lone Wolf and Cub - but I found it tedious.

There's plenty of Manga I do like though. Particularly by Junji Ito and Osaka Tezuka

I read Uzomaki but I wasn't really impressed - and the (very) end was a big let-down.

Also, did you mean Osamu Tezuka, the creator of Astro Boy? I've never read any of his works...

Extraordinary Member

Manga and manhua is what they are why do you feel the need to lump everything in with one word? Assuming everyone doesnt speak the same language.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I only read the first volume of Lone Wolf and Cub - but I found it tedious.
    Your FACE is tedious!

I read Uzomaki but I wasn't really impressed - and the (very) end was a big let-down.
    He's probably not for you then. Other stuff I've read by him is similar.

Also, did you mean Osamu Tezuka, the creator of Astro Boy? I've never read any of his works...
    Oops - yeah. I haven't read Astro Boy yet, but Buddha, Adolf and MW are great.