Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    Sorry for answering with another question, but how could I not know that he was writing? Marvel hyped Bendis to no end when the book was launched.

Ive mentioned this a number of times, but it bears repeating - Bendis is much better suited to street level stories rather than SciFi/big scale events. His (IMO) awesome run on Daredevil vs his (again IMO) very inconsistent run on Avengers - reinforced by the capping minis for both runs: End of Days and Age of Ultron respectively - are my reference.

And to elaborate a bit more: on the one hand I've never read GotG, for no other reason than I just have zero connection with the characters as I didnt have any exposure to the property for the longest time. And on the other I didnt care all that much about Angela's Marvel debut either, certainly not enough to spend money on it; only now that she is getting tied to Asgard do I feel the need to look for a summary of what happened.
    Yes! I think Marvel made some misjudgements when they put Bendis on GotG and Remender on Captain America instead of the other way around. Bendis rocks street-level characters (Daredevil, Alias, Ultimate Spider-Man, Moon knight etc.) but isn't so good with big sci-fi books. While Remender can't write streetlevel characters without too much explosions and sci-fi (altough I loved Venom and his Cap, they don't feel street level anymore) but rocks on big sci-fi titles (Uncanny X-Force, Fear agent, Black science etc.). Why couldn't they give Remender GotG and Bendis Cap?
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Original Sin 5.1-5.4

How is Angela suppose to realistically take on Thor being far less powerful, much less beat him to a bloody pulp?

I hope there's a good in story explanation for that. And Odin kneeling before her better just be cover art. There's almost no possible justification for that to happen based on his character.

I was hesitant about this whole thing because it seemed so forced but now she's going to **** on the established character to show how cool and badass she is?

I know it's difficult to work a character into established history but this particular route is both lazy and uninspired.
    Last edited by Rage.Of.Olympus; 06-19-2014 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
    Whenever something like that happens in a major comic, or even a major TV show and certain movies, my assumption is that it's the work of the executives, looking for sales/ratings, etc. I guess, from my limited understanding of the industry, all the major decisions of the main universes of "The Big 2" comics companies seem to be made in a board room. We're constantly hearing about lack of creative control, I just find it so hard to believe it wasn't Marvel's bosses' attempt and controversy rather than Brian's. The way I see it is; Bendis wasn't the killer but the executioner, the decision having been made before he was even picked to flick the switch.

I'm probably wrong.
    Perhaps you missed this interview, its from a while ago; in which Bendis makes it absolutely clear that it was his pitch and purpose to do what he did on Dissasembled

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?i...6&page=article

So yeah, I lay all my problems with that story at his feet.

It went on far too long but, god help me, I actually liked the Sentry thing. (Not the way it was drawn out but the story itself).
    Fair enough, different strokes and all that. I personally could have done without it.

OK, you got me. That was BENDIS? I never actually realised, somehow never even looked into who was writing it. (I should be ashamed of myself, really). I was skeptical about AoU, going in, as I've never really rated Ultron all that highly as a villain. But it quickly won me over with a fairly compelling story, I liked the idea of how Ultron was controlling his extermination from the future and how everything already seemed to have been lost and the surviving heroes would have a monumental struggle if they wanted to beat him. But it all ended so abruptly... Beating him in the past by just having Pym write a little coding... Yeah, obviously Time Travel was going to be a pretty big deal, but it was just SO anti-climactic..
    I didnt mind the resolution really, what I greatly disliked was the whole 'Logan is a dumb ass killer who won't consider other solutions' plot - which I suspect was shoehorned in just to stretch the story from the originally planned 5 or 6 issues to 10. While Wolverine is one of the characters in the MU that has no qualms with killing and can be quite hot headed he's NOT such an idiot; Hama's, Tieri's and Aaron's runs on the character's solo books can attest to that.

Maybe, but there are just so many comics you can say this for, and the banter isn't half as witty. Geoff Johns makes me want to kill somebody, I get so infuriated when I read an issue of Green lantern in 3 minutes and all the comic contained was Sinestro's diatribe about how great he is... Bendis at least gets a laugh out of me. Maybe not all the time and certainly not as much as he did on Ultimate Spidey but there just aren't that many comic writers who can do funny at all.
    While I agree both Johns and Bendis use similar pacing, I enjoy Johns' writing from that period in time more overall. I greatly like his GL run from Rebirth thru Blackest Night. Thats the kind of consistensy I want when pulling a book long term, and is that I mentioned Bendis failed to deliver.

But dont get me wrong, I have plenty of problems with most of Johns' work in the past couple of years too.

You were right to do so. I just asked because it seemed natural to read them when the characters are so connected to the event's titular villain. I didn't understand how they could be so strongly connected but be so uninvolved.

Fair enough. I wasn't actually trying to persuade you of anything, I just wanted to better understand you opinions.
    Its cool, I welcome recommendations; but ultimately I go with my own gut feeling and previous experience
    Last edited by Geralt of Rivia; 06-19-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    ... Why couldn't they give Remender GotG and Bendis Cap?
    That would have been AWESOME!
    But I think RR had FAR too much on his plate already...he was tasked with launching the Marvel NOW Initiative and making Avengers a "high stakes" title again alongside Hickman. BMB needs his pop culture references and relatable "every day Joe" circumstances, things that aren't or at least SHOULDNT be slung around in larger than life sci-fi settings.

Case in Point: Peter Quill shouldn't lay awake at night wondering if a girl might like him or thinking about his Daddy being a big old meanie.
    He's the frikin' STAR-LORD!!! Galactic incursions, are what should be keeping him awake and stressed out.

Hi. My second post and I guess I'm already starting to seem a little obsessed with this title. But it was looking through older issues, trying to answer my own question, that I realised this character seem disappeared for no reason.

But whenever a new character is introduced I will google them to find out more about them. I was surprised to learn that Angela actually not only used to be the intellectual property of Image (and/or Top Cow) but was from Todd MacFarlane's Spawn, before Marvel bought her.

So Marvel go to all the trouble of PAYING for another company's character, from another universe entirely, and, after while of her not doing much (though, to be fair, there's not enough room in a 22 page comic for EVERY character to get their own lines, especially when there's a sudden cross over with another super-team, one with a particularly full roster (Uncanny X-Men) shortly after she joins) she suddenly vanishes from the comic without any explanation.

So does anybody have a clue what happened to her?
    The Hype ran out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamdinger View Post
    Marvel bought her not with any intentions of using this generic turd of character but with the intention of playing the 'long game' by buttering up Neil Gaimen to finish his Marvelman stories. That's where the real room for profit is.
    this. sure, they will get some use out of the character. attaching her to Thor is a smart move. maybe make an action figure out of her eventually...but Marvelman is the ultimate payoff.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    Perhaps you missed this interview, its from a while ago; in which Bendis makes it absolutely clear that it was his pitch and purpose to do what he did on Dissasembled

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?i...6&page=article

So yeah, I lay all my problems with that story at his feet.
    Yes. I used to be into comics before the turn of the century but I stopped reading them altogether. (Well, I stopped reading superhero comics). I only recently got back into them and have spent a lot of time catching up

BUT... There is something I have noticed. I don't read much about announcements for upcoming changes and events but then I read an article about the Superman & Wonder Woman title, written before it's publication, after having read several issues. The article was complaining about how some DC exec had actually said they were trying to plug into the "Twilight" market in order to bring in more female readers. The assumption was that this meant that the title would be a massive rip-off of Twilight but, having read the comics at the time of reading the article, I knew it wasn't at all the kind of thing the columnist was suggesting it would be. (Saying that, I haven't actually read any of the twilight books or seen the movies, so maybe it was a carbon copy ripoff, for all I know).
    I didnt mind the resolution really, what I greatly disliked was the whole 'Logan is a dumb ass killer who won't consider other solutions' plot . While Wolverine is one of the characters in the MU that has no qualms with killing and can be quite hot headed he's NOT such an idiot; Hama's, Tieri's and Aaron's runs on the character's solo books can attest to that.
    I don't see what he did in the Age of Ultron story that was particularly out of character but, then, I was somewhat disappointed that we didn't see anything of what the heroes who went to the future did. But I quickly grew bored of his solo titles, maybe there was something in them that explains what you mean but there's only so much of "I'm the best there is at what I do" that I can take. This is probably not going to win me any friends but I was somewhat enamoured with the short tempered, shoot first (or stab first) character he was when I was a child - but even that irritates me, retrospectively, as a grown up. The wild 80s version of Logan might have lacked substance but James Howlett is just too uber... It's hard to explain what I mean. I keep expecting him to start drinking martinis and say "The name's Howlett... James Howlett." But I guess that's another one to lay at Bendis' feet. I guess it feels like they've just turned him into Nick Fury, Sr. (The white one). But with claws. (And both eyes).

While I agree both Johns and Bendis use similar pacing, I enjoy Johns' writing from that period in time more overall. I greatly like his GL run from Rebirth thru Blackest Night. Thats the kind of consistensy I want when pulling a book long term, and is that I mentioned Bendis failed to deliver.
    Woah woah woah woah. I don't like the pacing of most comics, nowadays, but I think that's down to trying to squeeze everything into a 22page book. Bendis doesn't handle it as well as some others, such as Brian Vaughan (off the top of my head) but Johns, much as I've enjoyed his work, is a particular frustrating writer in this regard. I had much more to say but I've deleted it all. I can see this turning into a debate about value for money or value for time. (An argument I'm happy to get into, but on a thread dedicated to the topic, perhaps :P )
    Last edited by Marduk; 06-19-2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: code fixed

Yes. I used to be into comics before the turn of the century but I stopped reading them altogether. (Well, I stopped reading superhero comics). I only recently got back into them and have spent a lot of time catching up

BUT... There is something I have noticed. I don't read much about announcements for upcoming changes and events but then I read an article about the Superman & Wonder Woman title, written before it's publication, after having read several issues. The article was complaining about how some DC exec had actually said they were trying to plug into the "Twilight" market in order to bring in more female readers. The assumption was that this meant that the title would be a massive rip-off of Twilight but, having read the comics at the time of reading the article, I knew it wasn't at all the kind of thing the columnist was suggesting it would be. (Saying that, I haven't actually read any of the twilight books or seen the movies, so maybe it was a carbon copy ripoff, for all I know).
    Sorry for the late reply

I really hope you have fun catching up, its one of the things that I personally find quite entertaining about reading comics

I'll just say that Ive kept my distance from the particular plot point that you point out... while I enjoy quite a bit of the New 52, that pairing is - simply put - not something I want to read; and regarding what market(s) any publisher wants to tap, we as readers dont really get access to a privately held company strategy documents and the rest is speculation, which Im not really interested in.

I don't see what he did in the Age of Ultron story that was particularly out of character but, then, I was somewhat disappointed that we didn't see anything of what the heroes who went to the future did. But I quickly grew bored of his solo titles, maybe there was something in them that explains what you mean but there's only so much of "I'm the best there is at what I do" that I can take. This is probably not going to win me any friends but I was somewhat enamoured with the short tempered, shoot first (or stab first) character he was when I was a child - but even that irritates me, retrospectively, as a grown up. The wild 80s version of Logan might have lacked substance but James Howlett is just too uber... It's hard to explain what I mean. I keep expecting him to start drinking martinis and say "The name's Howlett... James Howlett." But I guess that's another one to lay at Bendis' feet. I guess it feels like they've just turned him into Nick Fury, Sr. (The white one). But with claws. (And both eyes).
    I have to agree that Wolverine would be better off without his Howlett origin, demystifying him it simply took away too much appeal from the character. Sadly the damage is done and even if they decide to wipe his memories again after his upcoming "death" and inevitable return, I just dont see how things could be like they were before. Oh and this is not something I'd lay at Bendis' feet because it was Joey Q and Jemas the ones who wanted to tell that particular story as soon as they took over.

Also yeah, I do believe that Wolverine acts quite smarter in his solo books in general compared to most of his involvement with the many many teams in which Marvel keeps overexposing him. If there is one positive thing I look forward to about the "Death of Wolverine" storyline is that the character would benefit from a healthy break.

Woah woah woah woah. I don't like the pacing of most comics, nowadays, but I think that's down to trying to squeeze everything into a 22page book. Bendis doesn't handle it as well as some others, such as Brian Vaughan (off the top of my head) but Johns, much as I've enjoyed his work, is a particular frustrating writer in this regard. I had much more to say but I've deleted it all. I can see this turning into a debate about value for money or value for time. (An argument I'm happy to get into, but on a thread dedicated to the topic, perhaps :P )
    And nope, thats not where I was going at all; sorry if I gave that impression.

I just wanted to say that while both writers have similar styles I enjoy Johns's work way more than Bendis for the 2004 thru 2012 or so time period. And that currently Im not really enjoying either really, specially in their respective ongoing books.

For full disclosure I found the final issue of Green Lantern to be really great and Forever Evil was entertaining, so Johns still outpaces Bendis by a nose in the rear of my list of current well liked writers.

i honestly feel she went off on her own after that whole Jean Grey trial why Gamaora or Rocket haven't mentioned it idk. Heck she may turn up soon since the the GOTG series they are in deep dodo right now.