Page 54 of 62 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 ... LastLast

Now, that's the best point you've made so far.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    No, it wasn't. That's the part of the conversation that we're at now because you keep insisting on trying to assume my argument instead of just reading it the way I wrote it.
    I still don't know what your argument is? Comic fans are incapable of analyzing good or bad comics? Everything is subjective, so the concept of good and bad are meaningless?
    I wish you would just make a declarative statement about what you mean.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

No, it wasn't. That's the part of the conversation that we're at now because you keep insisting on trying to assume my argument instead of just reading it the way I wrote it.
    You wrote, "There are no bad writers." how is that not supposed to read as an argument for subjectivity?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I mean it felt like you didn't really care what my argument was and you were more interested in mocking me?
    I guess I'll try again.
    If this website shows anything, it's that comic fans are far more likely than anybody else to take comments about the stuff personally. They'll argue about anything. The concept of good and bad aren't meaningless, but in the comic book setting, yeah they might as well be.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    You wrote, "There are no bad writers." how is that not supposed to read as an argument for subjectivity?
    What do you mean? It is an argument for subjectivity. You're not taking it that way, this is the first time you've actually properly framed my argument.

I think there are lots of bad stories and lots of bad writers. But what is bad to me can be good to some one else. And what is good to me can be bad to someone else.

Like Spiderman and The Clone Sage or OMD, or BND. A lot of people hate those stories. But I love them. I really enjoyed them. Had more fun reading those issues then a lot of issue I have read in years.

it does not make them good stories, and the fact that most hate them does not make them bad stories. They are stories that many different people have many different thoughts on.

It is all really subjective. Just because 95 people say it is a bad story does not make it so, because you have 5 that love it.

Critics say it is bad. So what? What makes those critics opinion so much better then anyone elses?

People just need to let others hate what they are going to hate and love what they are going to love with out getting pissy about it. That is the issue with comics fans. It is a you must agree with me or your thoughts have no value.

I agee with the Ray. Too many fans think it is their job to convince another fan one way or the other and then get pissed and take it personally when the other does not agree.

This is a forum we can give our thoughts good or bad on an issue. but it is not our job to defend a writer/artist/character and convince some to like them, or hate them. Just give our thoughts on why we love or hate them.
    Last edited by babyblob; 10-02-2021 at 07:03 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

babyblob I wish I could goldstar that. You've succinctly broken this whole chain down into one post and it's accurate. Nice job.

I mean it felt like you didn't really care what my argument was and you were more interested in mocking me?
    I guess I'll try again.
    If this website shows anything, it's that comic fans are far more likely than anybody else to take comments about the stuff personally. They'll argue about anything. The concept of good and bad aren't meaningless, but in the comic book setting, yeah they might as well be.

What do you mean? It is an argument for subjectivity. You're not taking it that way, this is the first time you've actually properly framed my argument.
    ...If its an argument for subjectivity, then it's one that's already been trounced. As I said, if it's all subjective then the words coming out of your mouth, or being typed here, are meaningless. It's a self defeating point of view.

None of that is to say that one can't like things that are considered "bad" by many or most people, I enjoy Frank Miller's All Star Batman for instance and pine for it to be completed, but I'm still capable of understanding why it's considered to be bad and I think the points made about it's characterization and plot are valid criticisms...I just enjoy it anyway.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 10-02-2021 at 07:13 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Comics can't use touchy or edgy subjects without fear of backlash.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

i dont really dislike anything about it in particular

maybe i wish spiderman wasnt so popular

babyblob I wish I could goldstar that. You've succinctly broken this whole chain down into one post and it's accurate. Nice job.
    Thanks. The thing is with writers, artists or any other media it is all subjective. Too many people use opinion on if they like or hate something as fact. If a writer is good or bad is up to each person.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Stream View Post
    i dont really dislike anything about it in particular

maybe i wish spiderman wasnt so popular
    I feel the same about current Batman.

Thank you, sir. And, just in case anybody needs reminding, every post doesn't need to begin with "in my opinion". It's automatically assumed that anything you say is your opinion and that you're not trying to convince anybody that you're right.

Okay, it is an "everything is subjective and nothing can be judged" argument. Got it. Not worth debating.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Okay, it is an "everything is subjective and nothing can be judged" argument. Got it. Not worth debating.
    It can be judged. But judged by each person. Not every thing is subjective. Climate Change Vaccine data. Those are real things supported by facts.

Art, tv shows, movies, music, comics, Those are are judged by each person who watchesreads/listens them. A large group of people or critic saying something is bad does not make it so.
    You name a bad writer and give 20 reason on why they are bad. Another person will give 20 reasons in why they are good. Which opinion is the correct "Fact"?

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    It can be judged. But judged by each person. Not every thing is subjective. Climate Change Vaccine data. Those are real things supported by facts.

Art, tv shows, movies, music, comics, Those are are judged by each person who watchesreads/listens them. A large group of people or critic saying something is bad does not make it so.
    You name a bad writer and give 20 reason on why they are bad. Another person will give 20 reasons in why they are good. Which opinion is the correct "Fact"?
    The one supported by the norms of society.

That's how criticism works.

Now again, one can still enjoy works classified as "bad" but that doesn't refute the idea of literary criticism.