Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default What are things you dislike about the comic book fandom?

Almost every single day there is a thread created to talk about all the negative aspects of the comic industry. But what about the fans? They aren't innocent at all. What are some things that tick you off?

For me, I truly dislike this whole 'i hate it. So you should hate it too' mentality that most fans have nowadays. I get it a lot from the DC forums on here.

People who think Storm is the greatest comic character everr.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Is this the same person that goes on & on & on about Celine Dion as well? Meh.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

When it comes to the sections of comic-book fandom that I have the least amount of regard for, I often compare and contrast it to my own experiences with the band Radiohead.

At the turn of the millennium, after two stellar previous albums, Radiohead took a left turn in their career that I simply couldn't follow them down. It was a more electronic direction, which wasn't the problem in and of itself, it was more the way that it was implemented. I tried to get into them but I ultimately found the 'Kid A' and 'Amnesiac' albums boring and directionless. That was where Radiohead and I parted ways and I've barely heard a note of their music since. Thing is, it wasn't an acrimonious parting of ways. The band themselves have never heard of me and, even if they had somehow, wouldn't have given a toss. As for me, there are too many classic bands and albums out there to be bitter about something specific like that.

If I'd had the mentality of some 'fans' on here then I'd have spent the next decade online, endlessly harping on about the unfairness of it all. Looking for scapegoats in the band for the change in musical direction, demanding the return of the 'real' Radiohead and picking holes in albums that I've never even listened to. That kind of behaviour.

Obviously there's a big difference between comic-books and a rock band but the sense of entitlement that some people possess is the same.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 01-19-2016 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Is this the same person that goes on & on & on about Celine Dion as well? Meh.
    mmmm? could be? But I think there is a strong Storm contingent, for some reason.
    I hope all know i was tongue in cheek and just taking the piss.

mmmm? could be? But I think there is a strong Storm contingent, for some reason.
    I hope all know i was tongue in cheek and just taking the piss.
    Really? I only noticed one going on about it. More than one person strikes me as...odd?
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 01-27-2016 at 12:14 PM. Reason: watch it

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Really? I only noticed one going on about it. More than one person strikes me as...odd?
    I think she got more votes in the "greatest fictional character ever" thread than one would think. Unless my recollection is off.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 01-27-2016 at 12:14 PM.

BANNED

I admit. I'm one of them.

I know. I was just having a little fun. not serious.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    When it comes to the sections of comic-book fandom that I have the least amount of regard for, I often compare and contrast it to my own experiences with the band Radiohead.

At the turn of the millennium, after two stellar previous albums, Radiohead took a left turn in their career that I simply couldn't follow them down. It was a more electronic direction, which wasn't the problem in and of itself, it was more the way that it was implemented. I tried to get into them but I ultimately found the 'Kid A' and 'Amnesiac' albums boring and directionless. That was where Radiohead and I parted ways and I've barely heard a note of their music since. Thing is, it wasn't an acrimonious parting of ways. The band themselves have never heard of me and, even if they had somehow, wouldn't have given a toss. As for me, there are too many classic bands and albums out there to be bitter about something specific like that.

If I'd had the mentality of some 'fans' on here then I'd have spent the next decade online, endlessly harping on about the unfairness of it all. Looking for scapegoats in the band for the change in musical direction, demanding the return of the 'real' Radiohead and picking holes in albums that I've never even listened to. That kind of behaviour.

Obviously there's a big difference between comic-books and a rock band but the sense of entitlement that some people possess is the same.
    Yeah, there are music fans who act like they have entitlement just like some comic fans do. I think that's a part of any fandom in my experience, whether it's a fan of a music group - Queen in my case, fan of a sports team - Liverpool in my case or a fan of comics there's always a certain section of the fandom who act like they're ''entitled'' or whatever.
    Last edited by John Ossie; 01-27-2016 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I admit. I'm one of them.
    LOL, you are a true fan

Here's one that popped up a lot this week for some reason: Fans who bash something they don't actually know anything about while being wholly confident that their self-satisfied biases are 100% right.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

The suffocating feeling of nostalgia expressed by a lot of fans, making the whole medium fee encased in amber.

There's nothing wrong with nostalgia, but every artistic medium deserves to be able to evolve. It would be nice if every new idea didn't feel encumbered by ten thousand screeching doom-sayers.
    Batgirl - ...BOP - Batman - 'Tec - Nightwing - Supergirl - Titans - Wonder Woman

BANNED

Nothing wrong with that. People that think Storm isn't black are fucking crazy, though.