Page 1 of 62 123451151 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default What are things you dislike about the comic book fandom?

Almost every single day there is a thread created to talk about all the negative aspects of the comic industry. But what about the fans? They aren't innocent at all. What are some things that tick you off?

For me, I truly dislike this whole 'i hate it. So you should hate it too' mentality that most fans have nowadays. I get it a lot from the DC forums on here.

People who think Storm is the greatest comic character everr.

BANNED

So much could be said. Comic books is like the Chinese checkers of mediums. The one thing I dislike the most about any of this is when you have the red-carpet invading the comic-book world ( or any world ). The video-games are forgivable but not the actors.
    Last edited by DanArt; 01-18-2016 at 06:57 PM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I dislike whatever neurosis it is that makes fans think publishers WANT any of their franchises/characters to fail, and proceeds to exert money and effort to make it happen.*

*The exceptions being the X-Men and John Stewart. It's totally obvious the suits are out to get those guys!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Well, if there is one thing that I don't like about fandom, it would be this sense of extremes we all have, or at least online, everything is either the best or the worst thing ever. There is no middle ground.

Sometimes I see what I like to call, "Sunshine Shaming" where if you don't like something, and you say you don't like it, you just get called a hater, you have to be super positive about everything or you're just a hater who needs to get happy.

BANNED

the undercurrent of sexism and racism and any attempts to change that get brushed aside as "political correctness" or something being "forced down their throats"

BANNED

The inability to even consider that new characters are actual new characters and not this or that obscure never-was from 30 years back.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

I'm glad Invisible Man said agree with. In response to Donald Trump's divisive rhetoric, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar addressed the issue of "Political Correctness" in an article that appeared in Time Magazine and the Washington Post. Here is an excerpt:

Trump’s rationale for avoiding Kelly’s debate question – that neither he nor America has time for “political correctness” – taps into a popular boogeyman. The term “political correctness” is so general that to most people it simply means a discomfort with changing times and attitudes, an attack on the traditions of how we were raised. (It’s an emotional challenge every generation has had to go through.) What it really means is nothing more than sensitizing people to the fact that some old-fashioned words, attitudes and actions may be harmful or insulting to others. Naturally, people are angry about that because it makes them feel stupid or mean when they really aren’t. But when times change, we need to change with them in areas that strengthen our society. It’s no longer “politically correct” to call African Americans “coloreds.” Or to pat a woman on the butt at work and say, “Nice job, honey.” Or to ask people their religion during a job interview. Or to deny a woman a job because she’s not attractive enough to you. Or to assume a person’s opinion is worth less because she is elderly. Or that physically challenged individuals shouldn’t have easy access to buildings. If you don’t have time for political correctness, you don’t have time to be the caretaker of our rights under the Constitution.

I completely agree with Kareem's sentiments. And it vexes the hell out of me that scores of people JUST DON'T GET IT. Diversity in comics is under attack for many of the same reasons and rationales.
    Last edited by Old Man Ollie 1962; 01-18-2016 at 08:38 PM.

I hate when people "Dislike" something they didn't "like" to begin with. Years ago when I worked at a comic store a customer went on a rant about the Superman comic book and how he didn't like what they were doing and when were they going to change it back? I looked at him and said, "Well you don't buy Superman, so why do you care?" His answer, "Well I want to buy some Superman comics, not back issues, new things, but not the current storyline though."
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    the undercurrent of sexism and racism and any attempts to change that get brushed aside as "political correctness" or something being "forced down their throats"
    I completely agree with this. There are a lot of debates in the forums here that tend to start to scrape the surface of racism and sexism. "The way it's always been done" doesn't work in any other field, why should it work in comics?

BANNED

I'm fine with negativity. Positivity's good to an extent, but "hey check out Paper Girls, it's pretty darn good" doesn't go very far conversationally. What I didn't like about Paper Girls, there we can have a discussion with back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    Oh boy. Not liking something related to a non-white/non-heterosexual character automatically makes you racist/sexist. Whatever floats your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    People who think Storm is the greatest comic character everr.
    *chuckle*

nothing wrong with having a favourite character..just how we go about it
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beorg View Post
    Oh boy. Not liking something related to a non-white/non-heterosexual character automatically makes you racist/sexist. Whatever floats your boat.
    If you don't know how to clearly articulate your position, and resort to "bumper sticker" platitudes and explanations, your motives may indeed become suspect. And rightly so. Whatever floats your boat. You dig?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beorg View Post
    when someone decides to call me a feminazi for saying Rat Queens is my current favorite title, then yes there are issues to be addressed