Page 53 of 62 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 ... LastLast

It's not a point, that's literally a fact you're trying to argue with here. Which is what's really absurd.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

...it's not.

I mean, if we're to take your statement at face value then your very statement isn't true. If nothing is TRUE, then why should I believe what you say? It's a self discrediting point of view that cannot be sustained under even the slightest scrutiny.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Comic book fans are usually really bad at critically analyzing anything, as you're demonstrating perfectly here
    Seems to me that someone who says stuff like that there is no such thing as a bad writer is the one who is pretty deficient at critically analyzing anything, "mate".

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    ...it's not.

I mean, if we're to take your statement at face value then your very statement isn't true. If nothing is TRUE, then why should I believe what you say? It's a self discrediting point of view that cannot be sustained under even the slightest scrutiny.
    .....it is. And nobody said "nothing was true", try not to put words in that don't exist. We're literally talking about things that are subjective. The only thing that's absolutely true here is that when we're talking about things like writers and stories, etc. That's all subjective. Clearly. There's no way you don't see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Seems to me that someone who says stuff like that there is no such thing as a bad writer is the one who is pretty deficient at critically analyzing anything, "mate".
    Seems to me like you are exactly the person being described here and felt like you were being called out. You also don't seem capable of responding in good faith so this is the only response I'm giving you.

You also don't seem capable of responding in good faith so this is the only response I'm giving you.
    Looks like i hit the mark.

.....it is. And nobody said "nothing was true", try not to put words in that don't exist. We're literally talking about things that are subjective. The only thing that's absolutely true here is that when we're talking about things like writers and stories, etc. That's all subjective. Clearly. There's no way you don't see that.

Seems to me like you are exactly the person being described here and felt like you were being called out. You also don't seem capable of responding in good faith so this is the only response I'm giving you.
    When you say that everything is subject you are saying that there are no truths. That's not putting words in your mouth.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Comic book fans are usually really bad at critically analyzing anything
    There are no bad critics.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Yes, it is. I didn't say everything. You're trying to make it out like I'm talking about e=mc squared and things like that.

We're talking about comic books here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    There are no bad critics.
    See this one isn't remotely the same. Just stop.
    Last edited by TheRay; 10-02-2021 at 06:48 AM.

Yes, it is. I didn't say everything. You're trying to make it out like I'm talking about e=mc squared and things like that.

What's so different about comic books that makes them immune to criticism? Why are they a special class apart from literature, film or the words coming out of our mouths(or typed online)? There are ways to critique all those things, so why not comics?

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    What's so different about comic books that makes them immune to criticism? Why are they a special class from literature, film or the words coming out of our mouths(or typed online)? There are ways to critique all those things, so why not comics?
    Comic book fans tend to be over protective and unable to have real discussions about the medium. The same is true for literature and film, but the words coming out of our mouths is just you taking the argument too far. We're just talking, you can't count that any more than you can count fanfiction.

It is the same, the absurdity of his comments reflect the same untenable point you are making.

No, it's not the same. Random people giving their thoughts on a subject is the same thing as what we're talking about here. You know it's starting to feel like all of you aren't taking this seriously at all.

Comic book fans tend to be over protective and unable to have real discussions about the medium. The same is true for literature and film, but the words coming out of our mouths is just you taking the argument too far. We're just talking, you can't count that any more than you can count fanfiction.
    Again, that some cannot have real discussions about the qualities of books does not mean that it cannot be done at all, which was the point you were making.

And you can critique the words one says, or types, in the same manner you can critique anything else. There are rules of punctuation, use of metaphors, colorful language, word choice and clarity that can all be evaluated and discussed.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 10-02-2021 at 06:57 AM.

No, it wasn't. That's the part of the conversation that we're at now because you keep insisting on trying to assume my argument instead of just reading it the way I wrote it.

I understand you're saying here, but this a little funny. I am sure it was unintentional, but you used a cornerstone of Relativity to make a point about objective truth.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!