Page 45 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    I agree. As an aspiring television & film producer, some fans don't understand that somethings in the comics or animation don't translate well into live action.
    Seems like you missed the point I was making...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Seems like you missed the point I was making...
    Then I think your point could have been made better because I don't where you disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Then I think your point could have been made better because I don't where you disagree.
    My point is that the number of fans who have unrealistic expectation of an live action adaptation is very very small. So not everyone who says they would like something to be more faithful are saying that they want panel by panel adaptation.

BANNED

My point is that the number of fans who have unrealistic expectation of an live action adaptation is very very small. So not everyone who says they would like something to be more faithful are saying that they want panel by panel adaptation.
    I don't think anybody at all is saying they want a panel by panel adaptation.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Wasn't that what Watchmen strived to do?
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    Wasn't that what Watchmen strived to do?
    That was more like a panel by panel adaptation of "What if Rob Liefeld had done Watchmen".

Also, Snyder making one doesn't translate into people wanting to watch it.
    Last edited by Carabas; 02-05-2018 at 01:17 PM.

I'm going to disagree with that bolded part. Not going to take a poll or anything, nor am I saying it is over 50%, but I would estimate 30% of fans have unrealistic expectations.
    Go to the Supergirl TV show thread towards the beginning and look for "When is Superman going to show?" Go to Gotham and look for, "When is Batman going to show?" wait for Metropolis and people will ask, "When will Clark show?" Go to Flash, "Killer Shark CGI looks terrible." Some people expect everything and believe the money is simply there.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

There was a topic a few years back talking about wanting an Amazing spider-man panel by panel TV show.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Invincible Member

The first Sin City was a panel by panel adaptation, but of course it's not typical of comic book movies.

Comic book fans who describe anything more serious than a Saturday morning cartoon as "grim dark". Anyone using that term unironically past the age of 14 should not be considered an adult.

Fans using "murder" to describe any act of killing regardless of the circumstances.

Fans who harass creators.

Fans who say nonsense like, "Deathstroke isn't a rapist. Stop ruining him".

Fans who are really, really tone deaf to gender and racial politics in works.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Fans who say nonsense like, "Deathstroke isn't a rapist. Stop ruining him".
    I don't know. I think if you'd have asked Marv Wolfman back in 1985 he'd have said something like "Of course I didn't make Deathstroke a rapist. How could you say... Oh, hang on... I see what you mean. ****. That was not what I intended."

But he's become way worse. He's the guy that dropped a nuke* on Blüdhaven to get back at Dick Grayson.

*Okay, Chemo, not an actual nuke, but the effect was the same.

I dislike the stuborness of fans !

I tend to dislike people who just can't look past their love or hate for something and who are automatically going to praise/bash a piece of work because they see themselves as "fans" or "haters" and think that they have some sacred duty to defend or attack the said piece of work.

Though of course it's not just something exclusive to comic book readers but more of a general thing. Still, CBR can turn into a particularly tenacious kind of blind extremists when it comes to the subject of their love or hate.

BANNED

Marvel fans who think Disney is some pure evil incarnate entity.

Whenever someone says, "I want this adaptation to be faithful to the comics/I don't like they changed this from the comic" and they are met with the response of "Ha ha! Some dummy wants to see panel by panel representation! Don't you understand that's impossible?!"
    Just because I want faithfulness, doesn't mean I want panel by panel adaptation.
    Dont worry. Most xmen fans are happy that Disney bought Fox. Maybe Avengers fans arent happy about it because they know the xmen could get more popular than the avengers again.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I tend to dislike people who just can't look past their love or hate for something and who are automatically going to praise/bash a piece of work because they see themselves as "fans" or "haters" and think that they have some sacred duty to defend or attack the said piece of work.

Though of course it's not just something exclusive to comic book readers but more of a general thing. Still, CBR can turn into a particularly tenacious kind of blind extremists when it comes to the subject of their love or hate.
    I second this. I have never understood it myself.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?