Page 42 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    English language is wonderful in that we let the culture define terms and not some random governing body concerned about maintaining our language (looking at you, France). So a word or phrase can change meaning over time and it's silly to get hung up over it.
    I disagree with this. Words are powerful and their influence on people is very great. Sometimes changing the meaning of words is harmless, but other times can change the perception of an entire society on certain themes or situations.

Like an example, the acceptance of foreign words in a country that has his own and repeated use over the years has interesting effects on the behavior of the society as well as the assimilation of various concepts, customs, holidays or way of living.
    Last edited by Orujo-man; 09-25-2016 at 06:15 AM.

BANNED

English language is wonderful in that we let the culture define terms and not some random governing body concerned about maintaining our language (looking at you, France). So a word or phrase can change meaning over time and it's silly to get hung up over it.
    There is a big difference between the meaning of a word changing over time, and just using a word wrongly.

Also, French changes all the time, just like any other living language.

Invincible Member

That said I will always maintain Sentry is the worst Mary Sue to come from Marvel, ever. I say hat partially because it's true, partially because I can't think of a more deserving insult to tag that character with
    But see, Sentry wasn't created as a Mary Sue character. He was a post-modern Superman parody. And when he was used in Bendis's Avengers he was a guy that had serious mental issues. The only time he was "mary sue-ish" was that one requiem issue with some of the heroes talking about how great he was.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RumpusMagoo View Post
    How about fans who can't stand that you are enjoying books they don't like.
    Ugg. Those are the worst! Not just in comics, but entereainment media in general!

I mean how insecure do you have to be about your own interests to attack someone for liking different works of fiction then you!?
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Also, French changes all the time, just like any other living language.
    much to the distain of the Académie française

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    But see, Sentry wasn't created as a Mary Sue character. He was a post-modern Superman parody. And when he was used in Bendis's Avengers he was a guy that had serious mental issues. The only time he was "mary sue-ish" was that one requiem issue with some of the heroes talking about how great he was.
    any guy who can out manipulate molecule man, rip ares in half, teach peter parker photography, and bang Rogue is a Mary Sue. hes equal parts emo dramatic (omg my darkside) and best there ever was at everything... the very definition of Mary Sue. we have Hyperion as the Marvel Superman parody, so i never considered him as that.

BANNED

much to the distain of the Académie française
    How do you think the OED people feel about words like app and noob?

Invincible Member

any guy who can out manipulate molecule man, rip ares in half, teach peter parker photography, and bang Rogue is a Mary Sue. hes equal parts emo dramatic (omg my darkside) and best there ever was at everything... the very definition of Mary Sue. we have Hyperion as the Marvel Superman parody, so i never considered him as that.
    Being powerful or good at a lot of things doesn't make a character a Mary Sue. If Sentry was a Mary Sue he'd have to be a writer surrogate and then be perfect and have the other characters remark about how great he was. During the Bendis run the Sentry was defined by being someone who has a mental disorder and likely to run off in the middle of battle. That in itself precludes him being seen as perfect

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    1) Those people were assuming they were going to be hit before they were in fact hit.

2)How a character is portrayed in a story is in fact part of the story.

Not wanting to see a story rehashed because it might not be done well is not a politically conservative point of view.

3) Because his problem seemed to be that the author thought minorities secretly wish to be white. That's different from, "This story is going to be blah blah blah so I'm not going to like it."

4)Fine. But not understanding context is a slightly different topic.
    (1) Nope, the persons referenced knew in advance that they didn't want to see diversity because they purportedly thought it was "PC," so they weren't even looking at the stories as such.

(2) The story is not the same as someone's interpretation of the story.

(3) One of my main criteria for "jumping the gun" is that when one reads a continued story, any judgments one makes of it ought to be provisional, as in, "This makes me feel this way, but it may not be justified because I haven't seen the whole thing." The tendency to make judgments without any shading is the tendency I'm critiquing.

Do you yourself have any criteria for gun-jumping, and if so, have you a neutral example? (That is, not something silly like "I think you're jumping the gun by judging this other fellow as jumping the gun.")

I always thought of the Beyonder as the ultimate Mary Sue.

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    I always thought of the Beyonder as the ultimate Mary Sue.
    But was that by design?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    (1) Nope, the persons referenced knew in advance that they didn't want to see diversity because they purportedly thought it was "PC," so they weren't even looking at the stories as such.

(2) The story is not the same as someone's interpretation of the story.

(3) One of my main criteria for "jumping the gun" is that when one reads a continued story, any judgments one makes of it ought to be provisional, as in, "This makes me feel this way, but it may not be justified because I haven't seen the whole thing." The tendency to make judgments without any shading is the tendency I'm critiquing.

Do you yourself have any criteria for gun-jumping, and if so, have you a neutral example? (That is, not something silly like "I think you're jumping the gun by judging this other fellow as jumping the gun.")
    I think we're starting to talk in circles now

BANNED

I dislike the most is when random actors/actresses plays the roles of characters ultimately to have the character image or molded into the actors image. Take "Aeon Flux". MTV only had the 3d demo created but it had to look like the actress ( they ) wanted to use. We could have had a real good athletic looking cast but instead we got these dumb celebrities that ruined the entire film. They basically reused every plot from other movies. Even had a black girl killed ( Aeons rival/partner ) and the apeal and sex was toned down.

Do not even get me started on Marvel or DC. Because it is just horrible. I am not paying to see people ramble on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by RumpusMagoo View Post
    But was that by design?
    Well, he was introduced in one of Shooter's SECRET WARS scripts, as a being who had ultimate power over the characters of the Marvel Universe, just as a certain editor possessed, at least in theory.

You be the judge.

Quote Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
    I dislike the most is when random actors/actresses plays the roles of characters ultimately to have the character image or molded into the actors image. Take "Aeon Flux". MTV only had the 3d demo created but it had to look like the actress ( they ) wanted to use. We could have had a real good athletic looking cast but instead we got these dumb celebrities that ruined the entire film. They basically reused every plot from other movies. Even had a black girl killed ( Aeons rival/partner ) and the apeal and sex was toned down.

Do not even get me started on Marvel or DC. Because it is just horrible. I am not paying to see people ramble on and on.
    One moderately good result of this trend, though, was to give fans a skinnier, more dignified Alfred in the BATMAN comics. The Wayne butler started out as a roly-poly character, but when his character in the 1943 serial was played by a skinny actor, the comics followed suit. Granted, Skinny Alfred was still sometimes played for laughs, especially in his own backup series, but I'd say that bit of visual imitation proved an improvement on the original.