Page 43 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    One moderately good result of this trend, though, was to give fans a skinnier, more dignified Alfred in the BATMAN comics. The Wayne butler started out as a roly-poly character, but when his character in the 1943 serial was played by a skinny actor, the comics followed suit. Granted, Skinny Alfred was still sometimes played for laughs, especially in his own backup series, but I'd say that bit of visual imitation proved an improvement on the original.
    The Superman radio program of the '40s was the first to introduce Jimmy Olsen, Perry White, Inspector Henderson, and kryptonite. The more popular mediums have been doing this to comic books since my parents were war babies.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    In general I've never got why people get mad when another character is more popular than their favorite.
    If your guy is staying in print, then he's doing OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    If your guy is staying in print, then he's doing OK.
    I have resigned myself that Marshall Law, Milk & Cheese & that Reid Fleming:World Toughest Milkman will live on in their collected works & in my inexhaustible heart.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    I have resigned myself that Marshall Law, Milk & Cheese & that Reid Fleming:World Toughest Milkman will live on in their collected works & in my inexhaustible heart.
    Milk and Cheese and REid Flemming were awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Almost every single day there is a thread created to talk about all the negative aspects of the comic industry. But what about the fans? They aren't innocent at all. What are some things that tick you off?

For me, I truly dislike this whole 'i hate it. So you should hate it too' mentality that most fans have nowadays. I get it a lot from the DC forums on here.
    This isn't just comic book fandom, but the whole sci-fi/nerd/geek fandom: people who are losing their minds when the series they like isn't going the way they wanted it to go. Just because a writer or an artist isn't doing exactly what you want does not mean they're wrecking your childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    This isn't just comic book fandom, but the whole sci-fi/nerd/geek fandom: people who are losing their minds when the series they like isn't going the way they wanted it to go. Just because a writer or an artist isn't doing exactly what you want does not mean they're wrecking your childhood.
    Or when something needs to be changed because of costs, actor availability, things so minor no one cares.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Spectacular Member Martini Sigil's Avatar

Overall, I love my fellow nerds... the world has a shit-ton of problems, and people wearing Batman t-shirts (generally) don't cause them.... I would venture to guess that the people on this forum --those who read this kind of fiction-- are by and large smarter, more scientifically literate, and have more empathy than the typical mouth breather who would (try to) bully them.... These are my peeps....

That said, I wish people didn;t take "brand loyalty" so personally... the Marvel/DC... Start Trek/Star Wars arguments are among the silliest things I've ever read in my life...

I love the geek culture and it's fans (for the most part) but there are some things I hate. For one the "fans" that get butt hurt and make death threats because a film doesn't follow THEIR personal theories or desires to the letter. Then make claims that the movie ruined their childhood or favorite comic book character and the like. A recent example of this would be the controversy surrounding Star Wars The Last Jedi. And I can't forget the "fans" that sent death threats to some film critics that didn't give Dark Knight Rises and Avengers perfect review scores. Those people can kick rocks, as they give the community a bad name. Another issue is the racists that are apart of geek culture as weird as that is. I was genuinely disappointed back when Miles was introduced as the new Ultimate Spider- Man back in 2011 and seeing all the down right ignorant and racist comments on various message boards in response. Same with controversy surrounding Micheal B Jordan when he was cast as Johnny Storm in the 2015 Fantastic Four reboot and Iris Elba as Heimdall in the first Thor movie.

One moderately good result of this trend, though, was to give fans a skinnier, more dignified Alfred in the BATMAN comics. The Wayne butler started out as a roly-poly character, but when his character in the 1943 serial was played by a skinny actor, the comics followed suit. Granted, Skinny Alfred was still sometimes played for laughs, especially in his own backup series, but I'd say that bit of visual imitation proved an improvement on the original.
    Here's one you might not have know.

The Bat Cave didn't come from the comics.

Up until then, Batman just had a small hangar under a barn. Seriously. Batman's base was under a barn.
    The serials needed a base for Batman and they already had a cave set available so ...

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Here's one you might not have know.

The Bat Cave didn't come from the comics.

Up until then, Batman just had a small hangar under a barn. Seriously. Batman's base was under a barn.
    The serials needed a base for Batman and they already had a cave set available so ...
    Ha! The one thing Morrison didn't bring back in his "everything happened" run...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    People who think Storm is the greatest comic character everr.
    Which site did you actually first heard it? Just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Which site did you actually first heard it? Just wondering
    That was aimed at you. Just some good natured kidding. No harm meant.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Boisterously Confused

Fans who confuse What I Prefer with What A Writer/Illustrator/Editor/Publisher Owes Me

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Fans who confuse What I Prefer with What A Writer/Illustrator/Editor/Publisher Owes Me
    People demanding a designer comic published just for them, with no regard as to whether it would sell.

Invincible Member

People who think "SJW Characters" are a real thing.