Page 48 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Show me an example, or otherwise stop it. If I post twice in a row, it's because I've thought of something else to say. I usually have to ignore many of the responses I get! I never keep my threads constantly on Page 1 of a forum the way the appreciators do
    If you think that I'm gonna trawl old threads from God knows when just to clarify a point that many members familiar with you will already know to be true then you're mistaken.

However, you've literally just reactivated one of your own threads that had seen no traffic for three days and had fallen off the front page. There is absolutely no difference between doing that and contributing occasionally to an Appreciation Thread.

EDIT - Just so there's no confusion, that thread is the 'Are Monthly Titles An Endangered Species At DC?' one over on the DC board.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 02-18-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Invincible Member

Five or six people who keep bumping appreciation threads that only they want to read.

Endlessly "appreciating" a character doesn't sell his comic.
    The point of appreciation threads is for fans to discuss things they like (or dislike) about a character. It's not about trying to move units for the company.

You know, there are many threads here I'm not crazy about. But I skip over them and don't read them. Why can't people just read what they like and skip what they don't? Seems very easy to me. It's not like I can read everything on here or anything.

It's not all for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    People who refuse to buy something because the legacy character isn't the original who they are fiercely loyal to. The latest run of Nova brought back Rich Ryder, and still it ended after seven issues because Sam Alexander was still around. Those seven issues did a great job of balancing Rich and Sam as co-leads with an engaging dynamic that could have been explored in future issues, but it only had the one arc where Rich was shaking off the Cancerverse.
    So if someone is a Rich Rider fan, they should be obligated to buy a book that features him as a character even if they don't like the concept of said book? I say this as someone who liked the latest Nova book and was disappointed when it was cancelled. But I'm not going to chastise someone for refusing to buy a book that they weren't interested in just because I liked the book. If they don't want to read about Sam Alexander, that's their prerogative. I don't buy Green Lantern Corps even though I'm a huge Kyle Rayner fan because I could care less about the other Lanterns and would rather Kyle has his own solo book. What's wrong with that?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ERON View Post
    So if someone is a Rich Rider fan, they should be obligated to buy a book that features him as a character even if they don't like the concept of said book? I say this as someone who liked the latest Nova book and was disappointed when it was cancelled. But I'm not going to chastise someone for refusing to buy a book that they weren't interested in just because I liked the book. If they don't want to read about Sam Alexander, that's their prerogative. I don't buy Green Lantern Corps even though I'm a huge Kyle Rayner fan because I could care less about the other Lanterns and would rather Kyle has his own solo book. What's wrong with that?
    Because we see too much CHERRY PICKING.

It's like because Marvel put out a few black lead book-I am suppose to buy them because I am black. Well according to some folks YES and if I don't I am the reason comic book stores closed. Or my blackness gets questioned.

Yet where is this for hey straight white males you are suppose to only buy books with straight white males as the leads. If that was the case-wouldn't Antman still have a book and NOT moon Girl?

Hal's book is not selling well and John Stewart fans were the ONLY ones chastised for not buying the book. We were not REAL fans of the franchise. Lead mainly by ONE certain fanbase. Kyle nor Guy fans were chastised.

I think the point jbmasta was making was for YEARS all we heard was "WE WANT RICH" and saw trolling in any thread about Sam Alexander. So Marvel gave Rich fans what they wanted and guess who did not show up.

Same with Hal fans-you got what you wanted-don't get mad because it's not the way YOU wanted it.

Five or six people who keep bumping appreciation threads that only they want to read.

It was never suppose to do that. Some of those are probably the ONLY place once can talk about a character without TROLLS. Or get information about a character.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    If you think that I'm gonna trawl old threads from God knows when just to clarify a point that many members familiar with you will already know to be true then you're mistaken.

However, you've literally just reactivated one of your own threads that had seen no traffic for three days and had fallen off the front page. There is absolutely no difference between doing that and contributing occasionally to an Appreciation Thread.

EDIT - Just so there's no confusion, that thread is the 'Are Monthly Titles An Endangered Species At DC?' one over on the DC board.
    Just to be clear, it was 30 days that passed before Trey responded with basically another post restating the thread's initial intent.

I agree with you completely. I've not bought books because I didn't like a character in a team book, or not like the writer or artist. But what I hate, is when after the title is cancelled people start "demanding" for a character to get a book. And when you say, "Didn't that character just have a book?" Their response is, "It wasn't the right book." I didn't know about the characters in Nova, so would not realize the significance if you had not just explained. But to the bean counters, they will simply look at Nova, low sales, no need to do anything more for 5 years.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Learn something new every day. I was under the assumption appreciation threads were threads where people could talk about characters they like. Never realized the only point of them was to sell comic books.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I think the point jbmasta was making was for YEARS all we heard was "WE WANT RICH" and saw trolling in any thread about Sam Alexander. So Marvel gave Rich fans what they wanted and guess who did not show up.

Same with Hal fans-you got what you wanted-don't get mad because it's not the way YOU wanted it.
    If you're given an inch, at least see what it's all about. It's easy for characters who aren't Spider-Man, Iron Man, Superman, Batman etc to fall back into comic book limbo. At least Rich has had a guest star role in Guardians of the Galaxy or whatever the latest iteration of the title is called, but is he guaranteed panel time beyond that? If the new writing for the character doesn't suit you, at least you've given it a go. Fair's fair. My point is that you shouldn't boycott the book just because of the presence of Sam.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    If you're given an inch, at least see what it's all about. It's easy for characters who aren't Spider-Man, Iron Man, Superman, Batman etc to fall back into comic book limbo. At least Rich has had a guest star role in Guardians of the Galaxy or whatever the latest iteration of the title is called, but is he guaranteed panel time beyond that? If the new writing for the character doesn't suit you, at least you've given it a go. Fair's fair. My point is that you shouldn't boycott the book just because of the presence of Sam.
    As for Hal, he's the one Lantern guaranteed to be around anymore. Kyle didn't come into HJ&GLC until a couple of arcs in. What about the Alan Scott fans, who haven't had anything new for him since the end of Earth 2 Society or even pre-Flashpoint if it's original flavour Alan Scott they like?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Learn something new every day. I was under the assumption appreciation threads were threads where people could talk about characters they like. Never realized the only point of them was to sell comic books.
    It's Trey. To him god created the universe to boost Green Lantern sales. Didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I ran into countless people online that post their opinions and use the word FACT in big bold letters.
    On those occasions, there's nothing wrong with pointing out that they're being subjective (unless it's just an obvious bit of hyperbole - Rhubarb Crumble and Custard is the best pudding in the world - FACT!).

What I see more often though, is people pointing out that opinions are subjective when it's already obvious to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Because we see too much CHERRY PICKING.

It's like because Marvel put out a few black lead book-I am suppose to buy them because I am black. Well according to some folks YES and if I don't I am the reason comic book stores closed. Or my blackness gets questioned.

Yet where is this for hey straight white males you are suppose to only buy books with straight white males as the leads. If that was the case-wouldn't Antman still have a book and NOT moon Girl?

Hal's book is not selling well and John Stewart fans were the ONLY ones chastised for not buying the book. We were not REAL fans of the franchise. Lead mainly by ONE certain fanbase. Kyle nor Guy fans were chastised.

So if I beg Marvel for a new Thunderstrike book for years, and they give me a Thunderstrike/NFL Superpro team up book by Chuck Austen and Rob Liefeld, I should just shut up and take it?

Astonishing Member

So if I beg Marvel for a new Thunderstrike book for years, and they give me a Thunderstrike/NFL Superpro team up book by Chuck Austen and Rob Liefeld, I should just shut up and take it?
    I think if you're really invested in the character you'll try the first issue or two, make an informed decision on whether or not to drop the book.

I've always been more of the mindset that a creative team has ONE issue to grab my attention. Just one. I'm not going to stick around to wait and see if it get better. You should present your A-Game from the start.