Page 49 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I've always been more of the mindset that a creative team has ONE issue to grab my attention. Just one. I'm not going to stick around to wait and see if it get better. You should present your A-Game from the start.
    Harsh! I leave room for at least a stumble.

BANNED

When something hasn't worked, and you suggest that it be changed. Then some guy in his 40s or older, who should be playing with his grandchildren, acts like you've slapped his mother's face.

News flash -- it's a business, and like most businesses, it's not about its oldest customers.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-08-2018 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I've always been more of the mindset that a creative team has ONE issue to grab my attention. Just one. I'm not going to stick around to wait and see if it get better. You should present your A-Game from the start.
    Initially I thought, man harsh, but then I realized, no pretty accurate. I've dropped a lot of titles when they swerved me in a direction I didn't like. In the "long game" perhaps things changed got better, but I have better things to do with my time than read subpar stories waiting for that exciting payoff.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    When something hasn't worked, and you suggest that it be changed. Then some guy in his 40s or older, who should be playing with his grandchildren, acts like you've slapped his mother's face.

News flash -- it's a business, and like most businesses, it's not about its oldest customers.
    Is that really how you see the many threads you start where suggest something and pretty much every points out why it won't work?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Is that really how you see the many threads you start where suggest something and pretty much every points out why it won't work?
    The folks at DC seem to think my ideas are pretty good.

http://community.comicbookresources....Golden-Age-JSA

http://community.comicbookresources....6&pp=15&page=1

http://community.comicbookresources....-a-month/page5

http://community.comicbookresources....ed-Speed-Force

http://community.comicbookresources....ton-characters

http://community.comicbookresources....s-on-newsprint
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-09-2018 at 06:28 AM.

They do? Have those things actually happened?

And that "$3.99 for floppies on fancy paper, or $1.99 for floppies on newsprint?" is a classic example of what I'm talking about. Of course people set yes in the vote, just like they'd say yes if you offered them free money, but no-one other than you in the thread actually seemed to think it was possible.

BANNED

Someone who if you say the sky is up, he'll say, no, it's down -- because DC has always depicted it as down, or because you said it was up before he did.

Older readers who fail to recognize that because something sold a long time ago and then stopped selling, it'll need retooling before it'll sell again. These are people who are nostalgic for their youth and are out of touch.

People who fail to recognize that comics will never again be a growth industry. They lobby for ongoings that star their favorite second-tier characters, and they feel very confident that sooner or later the scales will fall from everyone's eyes and that those dream comics will become hits. These also tend to be older readers.

Younger readers don't flock to message boards and complain so much. When they stop liking a comic, they just stop buying it. Older readers tend to complain but keep buying it anyway. That's why you need to watch the sales. That and the money.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-12-2018 at 06:33 AM.

Younger readers don't flock to message boards and complain so much. When they stop liking a comic, they just stop buying it. Older readers tend to complain but keep buying it anyway
    Younger readers don't have the emotional attachment to some books that some older readers may have.

But you can bet that one day those younger readers, not so young anymore, are going to act in a similar manner. Maybe not with comic books but they will with something else.

We all are foolish like that.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Younger readers don't have the emotional attachment to some books that some older readers may have.

But you can bet that one day those younger readers, not so young anymore, are going to act in a similar manner. Maybe not with comic books but they will with something else.

We all are foolish like that.
    True. Also, the younger ones who do complain tend to be less mature about their whining (the older types are usually just cranky ).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Younger readers don't flock to message boards and complain so much.
    One of them certainly does.

I find that statement rather odd considering how much time you spend on the DC boards. It's chock-a-block with younger fans complaining and always has been.

I don't think it's the 'complaining' that you so loathe. I suspect it's the fact that they don't respond positively to the often outlandish proposals that you put forward to 'fix' DC Comics and their sales. Which, of course, is naturally your problem to solve.

Invincible Member

I think some "younger" fans ( and by that I mean folks I assume to be in their 30's) take things way to personally. They don't go,"Oh Marvel cancelled Bloodclot Man...that's sux because he's my favorite character." They go, "I stuck with Bloodclot Man through thick and thin, it is a betrayal to me!" "Marvel gave a title to this new character Sunflower Girl, but won't give a solo to Dr Ragweed! Marvel just did this to thumb their nose at us long term fans!"

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think some "younger" fans ( and by that I mean folks I assume to be in their 30's) take things way to personally. They don't go,"Oh Marvel cancelled Bloodclot Man...that's sux because he's my favorite character." They go, "I stuck with Bloodclot Man through thick and thin, it is a betrayal to me!" "Marvel gave a title to this new character Sunflower Girl, but won't give a solo to Dr Ragweed! Marvel just did this to thumb their nose at us long term fans!"
    Precisely. The various Teen Titans related threads alone make the above assertion that 'younger fans don't complain too much' look absurd. They often have a huge chip on their shoulder, just not in a way that affects the previous poster. Therefore he does his usual trick of ignoring it.

On a much more important note though, I can't wait for Bloodclot Man to make his next appearance. That is gold.

Heh. I love (not!) when somebody posts something like that.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I can go the next one dozen lifetimes without hearing or seeing the phrase "raped my childhood" and be eminently content.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    On a much more important note though, I can't wait for Bloodclot Man to make his next appearance. That is gold.
    What is the name of his arch enemy? The Warfarin Warrior?