Page 50 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I can go the next one dozen lifetimes without hearing or seeing the phrase "raped my childhood" and be eminently content.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Yeah, not too melodramatic there.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    What is the name of his arch enemy? The Warfarin Warrior?
    The Warfarin Warrior. Doctor Anticoagulant. The Thinner. They're all good (and criminally underused) adversaries .

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think some "younger" fans ( and by that I mean folks I assume to be in their 30's) take things way to personally. They don't go,"Oh Marvel cancelled Bloodclot Man...that's sux because he's my favorite character." They go, "I stuck with Bloodclot Man through thick and thin, it is a betrayal to me!" "Marvel gave a title to this new character Sunflower Girl, but won't give a solo to Dr Ragweed! Marvel just did this to thumb their nose at us long term fans!"
    On a much more important note though, I can't wait for Bloodclot Man to make his next appearance. That is gold.
    What is the name of his arch enemy? The Warfarin Warrior?
    The Warfarin Warrior. Doctor Anticoagulant. The Thinner. They're all good (and criminally underused) adversaries .
    While it's off the topic of the thread, this exchange is the kind of thing about comic book fandom that I adore!

LOL

Yes, criminally underused indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    While it's off the topic of the thread, this exchange is the kind of thing about comic book fandom that I adore!

It helps not to get too crazy about our hobby, IMO. Enjoy it, but don't let it get you angry.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

It helps not to get too crazy about our hobby, IMO. Enjoy it, but don't let it get you angry.
    Agreed. That's something that I feel we should always keep in the backs of our minds.

True. I've enjoyed many of the talks I've had here and at my LCS about comics minutia, but ultimately it is just a hobby for the vast majority of us. Sometime making sure Mrs Cleghorn sees the white boxes piled neatly in the other room surpasses any feelings I have for the material inside those boxes.

BANNED

Well, maybe an LoS title set in the 31st century will sell if it's tried again. Same with a Geoff Johns style JSA, and Kyle Rayner as the only Lantern and living in a loft apartment in NYC. And the Nineties will come back. You never know. But I don't think so.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-12-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Fantastic Member

One aspect I don't like about being a comic fan is the stress in ensuring you get every issue you'd like and not being able to easily try any new series you're interested in.

I only started buying single issues 6-7 months ago and live in a small town with a relatively small comic shop. As a result, you're not going to find what you're looking for on the shelves unless you want the most recent Batman or X-Men issues. Right away I learned that I needed a pull list, which is fine as that eases my anxiety of being able to obtain the comics I have interest in.

The thing that sucks is that (from my understanding) they order their comics 1-2 months in advance, and if there's something you decide you want once it's closer to the release date, they'll try to place an order once they can the day it comes out. Of course, some comics sell out at diamond the first day they're released and then you miss out.

And it's really difficult to try just one issue of a new series before deciding if you want to subscribe to it. If you request just a single issue to see if you like the series, you're likely outside their window to order the next issue if you decide you like it. If you subscribe to a series you don't know if you'll like, and you don't end up liking the first issue, canceling your subscription could result in the shop ending up with an extra issue that might not sell if they've already put their orders in.

Sorry for rambling. I don't even know if every shop works this way, but I feel like it puts a lot of stress on the consumer (or maybe just me ). Since I started buying single issues, I notice I've become more of a collector/completionist, so that just adds to the stress.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

I actually hate the double standards when it comes to characters. Especially when it comes to skills of female and minority characters. But this isn't just unique to comic fandom though. This is prevalent in fandoms in general.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsci View Post
    One aspect I don't like about being a comic fan is the stress in ensuring you get every issue you'd like and not being able to easily try any new series you're interested in.

I only started buying single issues 6-7 months ago and live in a small town with a relatively small comic shop. As a result, you're not going to find what you're looking for on the shelves unless you want the most recent Batman or X-Men issues. Right away I learned that I needed a pull list, which is fine as that eases my anxiety of being able to obtain the comics I have interest in.

The thing that sucks is that (from my understanding) they order their comics 1-2 months in advance, and if there's something you decide you want once it's closer to the release date, they'll try to place an order once they can the day it comes out. Of course, some comics sell out at diamond the first day they're released and then you miss out.

And it's really difficult to try just one issue of a new series before deciding if you want to subscribe to it. If you request just a single issue to see if you like the series, you're likely outside their window to order the next issue if you decide you like it. If you subscribe to a series you don't know if you'll like, and you don't end up liking the first issue, canceling your subscription could result in the shop ending up with an extra issue that might not sell if they've already put their orders in.

Sorry for rambling. I don't even know if every shop works this way, but I feel like it puts a lot of stress on the consumer (or maybe just me ). Since I started buying single issues, I notice I've become more of a collector/completionist, so that just adds to the stress.
    This is how all stores are, and kudos to you for knowing how it works. When I worked at the comic store customers thought I drew the comics in the back, kept them off the shelf to annoy them, purposely sold out, and how dare I not know when their comic came out.

My suggestions though. Be mindful of the ordering pattern for new series. Issue 1 order 10, Issue 2 order 5, issue 3 order 3, then issue 4 based upon sales from issue 1. If a new series comes out that you are interested, I would go ahead and put the series on your list. Even if you decide you hate it after issue 1 and drop it, they should still be able to sell out of issue 2 and 3 without problem.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    This is how all stores are, and kudos to you for knowing how it works. When I worked at the comic store customers thought I drew the comics in the back, kept them off the shelf to annoy them, purposely sold out, and how dare I not know when their comic came out.

My suggestions though. Be mindful of the ordering pattern for new series. Issue 1 order 10, Issue 2 order 5, issue 3 order 3, then issue 4 based upon sales from issue 1. If a new series comes out that you are interested, I would go ahead and put the series on your list. Even if you decide you hate it after issue 1 and drop it, they should still be able to sell out of issue 2 and 3 without problem.
    Haha yeah, the manager actually thanks me for ordering in advance quite frequently, so I can believe that not everyone knows how they work. Finding out how it does work left me surprised, but I want to try to honor it as much as possible and not be a thorn in anyone's side. Thanks for the advice!

It's part of what's seriously broken with the direct market system.

I love my LCS. They're a long time mini-chain and I've been with them for well over 30 years. but they are exceptional and well within the good part of the distribution tail. They expanded into other forms of Pop Culture like gaming and music. I'm definitely old school in many of my comic book habits, but am familiar enough with real world shit to know that the direct market has problems.

Thinking that any bit of Progressive content is automatically bad.