Page 51 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

I love comics. But I do not like most comic book fans. At least the extreme ones. The fans that think just because they have been reading a character or team for years makes them think they own the character.

"I hate what they did with so and so. That is not how they should be written. They betrayed me etc..." Like these fan boys think the writer and company need their approval to write a story or character how they want.

Or when fan boy gets made at you for not liking some dumb obscure character they like and call you a poser for liking Spiderman or Batman. "Your not a real fan because you dont like this character or read the latest Indy comic. You only like mainstream stuff and you are lame as Hell."
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

People who think there is such a thing as the greatest comic book character ever. There isn't a definitive one.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Or when fan boy gets made at you for not liking some dumb obscure character they like and call you a poser for liking Spiderman or Batman. "Your not a real fan because you dont like this character or read the latest Indy comic. You only like mainstream stuff and you are lame as Hell."
    Ah, that one is funny. Well, we all can be pretty silly i guess when it comes to be a fan.

Personally i do have a quite deep dislike for Abrams' Star Trek movies (and for most of his movie career really) but yeah, that's silly to get yourself all worked up over something like that.

Plus, Spider-man and batman really? Come on, DC and Marvel would have closed doors without them. (not really but you see what i mean)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Comparing power levels (= dick measuring): Who's stronger Hulk, Supes, Sentinel etc. who's faster, smarter?
    ….Though, this place we’re posting in wouldn’t really exist if not for that (heh, heh).

Getting up in arms over a character casting when almost all of them have been extremely good, if not all of them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Plus, Spider-man and batman really? Come on, DC and Marvel would have closed doors without them. (not really but you see what i mean)
    NO they would have survived.

Now would you see 20 Wonder Woman books in stores like Batman-NO.

Would you see 20 different books? Yes.

Would that pack bins like Batman books do? Probably not. Probably we would see something called quantity control.

Yes Batman gets 100K orders. Yet once you get past his fans how many unsold copies are left? That pack bins? grab bags? or FOREVER find their way into sales (looking at YOU Midtown Comics).

Marvel had to start the movie empire without Spider-Man. So far it's working even with dead properties like Rocket Raccoon.

There is no such thing as a bad writer, mates.

Spectacular Member

The idiotic idea that you can’t grasp a character or understand what is happening in a book without reading or a working knowledge of previous continuity. #191 of Uncanny X-Men was my #1 for that title, made me want to buy more. Used to LOVE the back issue hunt.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Just... bad stories?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jely4me View Post
    The idiotic idea that you can’t grasp a character or understand what is happening in a book without reading or a working knowledge of previous continuity. #191 of Uncanny X-Men was my #1 for that title, made me want to buy more. Used to LOVE the back issue hunt.
    Many areas don't even have comics shops, much less one that stocks a healthy supply of back issues. That and people don't have the attention span necessary to hunt for back issues these days; they like everything in their hands immediately, with the click of a button or tap of a screen.

I think it's this mentality that contributes to "I have to start with #1" for a lot of new readers. The other contributing factor being that publishers have purposefully pushed the market in this direction.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Many areas don't even have comics shops, much less one that stocks a healthy supply of back issues. That and people don't have the attention span necessary to hunt for back issues these days; they like everything in their hands immediately, with the click of a button or tap of a screen.

I think it's this mentality that contributes to "I have to start with #1" for a lot of new readers. The other contributing factor being that publishers have purposefully pushed the market in this direction.
    And like with many many other things that are FUBAR today, it’s pretty sad, especially the attention span part.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

People who think there is such a thing as the greatest comic book character ever. There isn't a definitive one.
    Well, it's easy to make up a short list of those who have been the most popular and/or have changed the industry the most, but if you're talking about which one is the greatest beyond that, I agree. Then we're in subjective land.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I don't understand this. Of course there are. Just as there are bad artists and bad editors. It's like saying there are no bad actors or bad directors or screenwriters.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Just... bad stories?
    I blame paper. it's all because of it if bad stories exist.

I love comic book culture but I don't love how toxic and elitist some in the community can be. I been reading comic books for years and have a decent sized collection. But I am no hardcore fan that knows every story arch, character backstory etc. For the most part, I am a average or casual fan that has a decent knowledge of the Marvel and DC universes. I have ran into fans in the community that tried to make me looks stupid or invalidate my opinions because I didn't know every little detail like they did SMH.

I don't like the fans who crap on non comic book readers and low down on them. Like some dude made a jerk remark to one of my friends about we saw Infinity War and I can't remember what she said but the guy sitting behind us was like " these non comic book readers kill me (with this really snobby tone). I shut him down quick though as I am cool with any fan and don't think it's cool to be snobby about this stuff. Back in the early 2000's when I was in high school, it wasn't cool to read comics and we had limited super hero movies (Sam Rami Spider Man, X- Men) so now I celebrate everyone who loves the characters and universes I care about.

Also, for a community to be fans of super heroes who do good deeds and make the world a better place, the levels of toxicity and in some cases racism make me sad. For example, I am black and Spider-Man in my top five super heroes of all time. I really gravitated towards the character as kid and still do. But when Miles Morales was first introduced the levels of outright racism in the comic book community was awful. Then the toxic stuff like what happen in the Star Wars fandom with people harassing actors and bullying them off social media is too much.
    Last edited by Iron_Legion87; 10-01-2021 at 06:37 AM.