Page 52 of 62 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253545556 ... LastLast

I dislike the mentality some fans have that shared universe characters like Batman, Spider-Man, and even Archie should grow, evolve, and mature along with them. When you say that, you're basically saying that those characters should belong to you and your generation alone. To hell with older fans - let them reread their back issues for the hundredth time. And to hell with younger fans - let them go find other characters to read. It's extremely selfish.

I don’t like when fans take too seriously comics. It’s just stories, sometimes pleasant ones.

The real life is not there. Real heroes don’t have super-powers: they are just normal people with convictions and a lot of courage. They deserve much more our praise than fictional characters.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It's like saying there are no bad actors or bad directors or screenwriters.
    Yeah, there’s not.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Yeah, there’s not.
    Huh, I still don't understand what you mean. There are obviously people in the arts who are just awful. There are bad comics, movies, books etc... made by bad creative people all the time.

I am really interested in what you are saying. Is this some sort of subjective/critical paradigm?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ERON View Post
    I dislike the mentality some fans have that shared universe characters like Batman, Spider-Man, and even Archie should grow, evolve, and mature along with them. When you say that, you're basically saying that those characters should belong to you and your generation alone. To hell with older fans - let them reread their back issues for the hundredth time. And to hell with younger fans - let them go find other characters to read. It's extremely selfish.
    The vast majority of these fans that you're referring to don't really want to have the universe grow, though. They just want it to remain in the generation they were introduced to comics. Yes, there are exceptions, but they are few and far between.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I hate fans who want realism and deepness in a story about a man in a Batsuit beating up a crazy clown, or in a story about a man who sticks to walls trying to get his mind back when it was stolen by a man with metal arm thingys.

"Dude you have to read this comic. It has a talking racoon in space who shoots big ass guns and has talking tree monster as his best friend."

"It was okay. it would have been better with more realism though." Give me a break!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    There are obviously people in the arts who are just awful. There are bad comics, movies, books etc... made by bad creative people all the time.
    No. There aren't.

Mighty Member

I got two major issues, one which may be a little controversial but I’ll explain.

The first isn’t, I dislike gatekeeping in comics. This occurred in a big way with that “I am not starfire” trade that got folks upset. I mean, the comic looked like it sucked, I didn’t care for the art style at all and I don’t care for the characters, but this also wasn’t aimed at me. If it gets someone into comics, then that’s a good thing right? We can’t keep the books to us stuffy white men. They should be there for everyone, and if that means that something that doesn’t appeal to us gets put out, then so be it. Let the target audience enjoy the book.

This next one is the big one, but it’s when folks treat Character’s like real People. I’m not saying that I hate it when we want Peter to get married and have a job, no I like that because it’s relatable. But I mean when People have a gripe with a Character over something. I don’t know how common this is, but I saw a Twitter thread a few months ago where someone posted a funny kitty Pryde panel, and the comments where from folks who hated her because she said the n-word in a comic in the 80’s. Now, I’m not going to defend the use of the N-word, it’s a horrible word with a horrible history that was used (and still is) to demean entire cultures of People. But the problem here isn’t with the Character, but with a writer using it within that context. I understand where Chris Claremont was coming from, and while the use of it is a bit… well you can’t really compare real People with a fictional group of People, I do understand his heart was in the right place. But your problem is with him, not with a character who was written to say it. I guess my issue is Tumblr.
    There’s also folks who say Batman should just invest in mental health services instead of beating them up. I agree, but it’s also a comic in a Universe with an alien whose arch nemesis is a businessman. I think I’m allowed to have my dumb punching comic. Anyway, Nightwing seems to do one better and it’s great.

Similarly, we should just accept that we can't get rid of boring story elements. For example, I think we've had enough Spider-Man and MJ or really anybody he dates, but other people seem to enjoy that so there's no reason to ruin it for them.

Similarly, we should just accept that we can't get rid of boring story elements. For example, I think we've had enough Spider-Man and MJ or really anybody he dates, but other people seem to enjoy that so there's no reason to ruin it for them.
    There are no boring stories.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Yeah you're right that's why I said boring story elements. See...see that qualifier I put in there?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

There is no such thing as a bad writer, mates.
    This just seems silly to me.

I mean sure, I bet if we combed the world we could find someone who thinks say "Sultry Teenage Super Foxes", "Marville", "Ultimate Adventures" or "Trouble" are fantastic reads...but that just means taste is subjective, not that a way of critically viewing comic book writing doesn't exist.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Yeah you're right that's why I said boring story elements. See...see that qualifier I put in there?
    It's not much of a qualifier though, and the point Kirby was making about the absurdity of "everything is subjective" that is seemingly the argument you are making still stands because it could read, "There are no boring story elements." and the point would be the same.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Comic book fans are usually really bad at critically analyzing anything, as you're demonstrating perfectly here.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's not much of a qualifier though, and the point Kirby was making about the absurdity of "everything is subjective"
    Except, yeah, it is. Everything is subjective, whether you want to pretend it's not is your own business.

Comic book fans are usually really bad at critically analyzing anything.
    That some people may be bad at it doesn't support your point that it's all subjective though.