Page 57 of 62 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There's nothing bad about an unconventional style. It works for Bagge, Piskor and quite a few others.
    No one said there was.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Costume changes aren't all that crazy, but some characters could probably use an update.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    P.Bagge is only unconventional if you think superhero art is the norm. If you showed this to a person who grew up on Mad Magazine or Cracked they would think think this is fine.
    Some styles look mastered and some styles seem to get “out-of-control”… I’m bothered by Liefeld’s style, I’m not bothered by P.Bagge’s style.

If you take too much notice of the style, it interferes with your pleasure of reading, whatever the quality of the story.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    There is such a difference between someone trying to do conventional superhero art and failing, ie, bad art, and various cartooning styles.
    The Cap is still bad art.
    Yes and no. Yes, it's ridiculous, but how many of us could reproduce it on our own? Bagge, OTOH, would be far easier for me to take a stab at.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

You can also try to stick with the idea that there are no bad artists. Then you have to accept that the restorer did not do a bad job.

Did they pick any old person off the street to do the restoration?

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Some styles look mastered and some styles seem to get “out-of-control”… I’m bothered by Liefeld’s style, I’m not bothered by P.Bagge’s style.

If you take too much notice of the style, it interferes with your pleasure of reading, whatever the quality of the story.
    Sometimes the style IS the point, but for me that's rare. I'm not sure I'm actually bothered by some works. I certainly see stuff out there that I hate the $#!+ out of, but generally my not looking at it helps.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    How would you like Bagge's style if he were drawing your favorite DC or Marvel characters, though?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    How would you like Bagge's style if he were drawing your favorite DC or Marvel characters, though?
    Style and stories are not independent. It’s not necessarily a matter of quality but a matter of relevance certainly. Artists and authors are the makers of the comic: change one thing and you have another comic.

It’s like characters and authors. It infuriates me that the industry perpetuates this illusion of continuity: the X-men written by Hickman have nothing to do with the X-men written by Claremont decades ago.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

The point was they were hired to restore the original icon. There is no objective way that one could say they did a good job. They are a bad artist with little skill. Liking it has nothing to do with it.
    Actually, the amateur artist wasn’t hired and she got carried away…

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2017/0...hat-saved.html

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    I love comic book culture but I don't love how toxic and elitist some in the community can be. I been reading comic books for years and have a decent sized collection. But I am no hardcore fan that knows every story arch, character backstory etc. For the most part, I am a average or casual fan that has a decent knowledge of the Marvel and DC universes. I have ran into fans in the community that tried to make me looks stupid or invalidate my opinions because I didn't know every little detail like they did SMH.
    This. Someone asked a question about a storyline from 10 years ago. I gave the answer and someone else said, "Well maybe in your head canon but that didn't happen in that storyline." I went to wikipedia, I was off by one storyline in my description. What I said happened, did happen, but it was the next storyline, so I was off by 6 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Meanwhile.

I am kind of sick of the High and Mighty Indy comics book fan. I think it is great a person enjoys Indy comics. But there is the small core of them that feel they are the only true fans. Like they are somehow better then the rest of us.

"You Read Marvel and DC? How Droll. I cant believe you dont read this obscure Indy about a Steampunk Sherlock Holmes battling Jack The Ripper."

Same goes for the Manga crowd.
    I agree with this, and to expand on it more. Independents and anime have the "Newness" factor. They are brand new. If you look back 20 years ago in those markets they look completely different then now.

I can imagine the conversation.
    DC Fan: I'm reading Superman and he is fighting Lex Luthor
    Independent fan: How droll, I'm reading Alien Man, it is about an Alien who crash landed on Earth as an infant. He is battling this millionaire who has a super suit. It is so great.

Many independents have a shorter life run. 6 issues, 12 issues, while anime tell their story and then they are done.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

No one said there was.
    I got the sense that's how my comment was interpreted, as if there's a binary with good on one side and unconventional on another.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There's nothing bad about an unconventional style. It works for Bagge, Piskor and quite a few others.
    I guess my point was more that this style isn't unconventional, it's just cartoony. I would think of something like Bill Sienkiewicz on Electra Assassin where he's purposely being experimental as unconventional.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    This did happen

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    This did happen

Heh. It worked well for that one-shot, too, but I wouldn't want his style for one of Spidey's main titles.

Well now we aren't talking good or bad, but stylistic preferences. There are artist I just don't like on some books. Not because they are bad artist, but because I don't like their style on that book.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!