Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12525859606162
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    While in the extreme one has to see the point here. It is not for the fans to grow an industry for one thing and two the what they "agree" upon is being the audience they are and gave the genre much of its codes by being that audience. By that I mean a young male audience that reflected the majority of Americans who were engaged by literate things. Jocks and girls needed not apply. Unless one confused comics with comical strips that is the mostly white nerd audience that they were created for and by. By your sig I would say that Restorative Nostalgia drives a lot of this POV but I think you would have to agree that some of the best superhero comics have been more Restorative than than Reflective. I came to this recently in a FF thread that was talking about John Byrne and his New as Old variations on the genre and I think a ton of fans would say that is classic writing over genre busting work that might pose questions but is not nearly as enjoyable in the long term. That is itself the crux of nostalgia is it not - long term rereads?
    Nope, there is absolutely nothing to see in that point.

Gatekeeping is wrong. Period.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Nope, there is absolutely nothing to see in that point.

Gatekeeping is wrong. Period.
    I really don’t know what people means by “gatekeeping”. Everyone can open a comic and read it. As everyone can say what he/she wants about it: it’s freedom of speech.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

I take it to mean a group of fans trying to decide who is really a "true fan". For example the myriad examples of women entering comic shops and at best getting cold/awkward receptions, and occasionally when they proudly proclaim their fellow nerdiness are subject to disbelief and questioning. "Oh yeah, did you know (fill-in-the-blank)? No, well then you're not a real fan. You're just saying that for attention!" Or the like. It's not universal, but it's sadly common enough that women (and PoC) can feel the vibe coming off of your typical older white/male/hetero nerd who are clearly not comfortable having "outsiders" in their sanctum sanctorums.

And as comic nerds are usually smart enough to understand that their unconscious biases are wrong, it somehow fuels it into becoming more toxic than if they were just awkward and uncomfortable. Like they need to double-down and cling to their precious hobby-things that define who they are to themselves. It's sad, because having common interests is one of the best way to make friends (or more). As a nerd who was mercilessly bullied for many reasons, but not the least for being a shy, awkward, skinny, nerdy stereotype with glasses who stared at my shoes far more than I made eye contact in my formative years I can understand and empathize with their insecurities. It makes me sad not just for those who feel left out in the cold by gatekeepers, but for the gatekeepers themselves. For the missed opportunities for conversation and connection that they don't allow for fear of rejection or some illogical fear of the undermining of the hobbies that define them. They're really mostly hurting themselves, as our hobby is barely hanging on in its current form because of this sort of behavior (as well as the realities of print media costs vs free/digital media and the options available to youngsters).

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I take it to mean a group of fans trying to decide who is really a "true fan".
    I only got this feeling here once because I used to read comics a long time ago and my references are no more up-to-date. Online threads enforce this idea that new comics are better than old comics, that comics have an expiration date. Reading recent comics creates a “reading community”… It’s fine but it’s not the only way to “consume” comics.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I only got this feeling here once because I used to read comics a long time ago and my references are no more up-to-date. Online threads enforce this idea that new comics are better than old comics, that comics have an expiration date. Reading recent comics creates a “reading community”… It’s fine but it’s not the only way to “consume” comics.
    Eh, here it almost seems the opposite that comics were much better in the past then they are now.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Eh, here it almost seems the opposite that comics were much better in the past then they are now.
    Probably, but it’s harder to have a lively fandom with old comics than with the “comics of the day”. These latter are consumed like TV-shows: there is anticipation, excitation waiting for the appointments with the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    Not sure that is possible as fandom isn't just a blind devotion to the medium but comes from those parochial interests
    I’m not convinced these are related ideas. I agree that basically having your own headcanon is what makes being a fan fun, but that doesn’t mean you have to keep others out. I think that’s what I most like about the multiverse, it means anything can and has happened. But, just because some people enjoy something a certain way it doesn’t make that absolutely true in all circumstances or make them ignorant for subscribing to it. This type of thing calls for balance and compromise, not exclusivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Probably, but it’s harder to have a lively fandom with old comics than with the “comics of the day”. These latter are consumed like TV-shows: there is anticipation, excitation waiting for the appointments with the media.
    I've found a difference of opinion here on old vs new comics. Valid points can and have been made regarding the "superiority " of older books to present day stories. It may be too detail oriented for many, including comic fans, but just contemplating and discussing the loss of the thought balloon to me can be a lot of fun regardless of your stance on the issue. As for lively fandom for old comics, the JSA and LSH fans are well able to go on despite (or because of) a lack of new material.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?