Page 7 of 62 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    Batman fans are at the top of the obnoxious list IMO, they believe he can do anything at all and that anyone that gets anything past him is some conspiracy against the character

actually its Batman and X-Men fans

both are pretty grating
    Yessssssssssss. Except X-men fans don't bother me, because the X-men have taken a lot of lumps over the years.

For me, the thing I dislike the most is how people tend to think what they like is "right" and what you like is "wrong". That drives me crazy, why isn't it okay for me to like a certain book but anything you like is handed from up high? But this complain can be said in almost any form of entertainment.

Some fans need/desire to see a book cancelled because they're not interested in the character and they want another character to get a solo. As if the only thing preventing character B getting a chance are those idiots who are promoting character A.

It's mind blowing how often I see it come up, especially with how little sense it makes.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Some fans need/desire to see a book cancelled because they're not interested in the character and they want another character to get a solo. As if the only thing preventing character B getting a chance are those idiots who are promoting character A.

It's mind blowing how often I see it come up, especially with how little sense it makes.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    Batman fans are at the top of the obnoxious list IMO, they believe he can do anything at all and that anyone that gets anything past him is some conspiracy against the character

actually its Batman and X-Men fans

both are pretty grating
    I'm a Batman fan. And an X-Men fan. And I don't think there's any ''conspiracy'' against them whenever something happens that I don't like. Also, I don't THINK I'm obnoxious.

Point I'm making is, one of the things I can't stand is generalising a group of people because of a few. It's stupid IMO to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    What gets on my nerves is the continued insistence of fans that their opinions are somehow objective or that there is any chance people won't see through their biases. Because at the end of the day, it's fine to be subjective and irrational when it comes to comics, I like what I like and sometimes I can't explain why, but I just want to see more of it and recognize that not everybody will agree. There isn't some kind of natural logic to any of this stuff.
    I don't see that happen much. What I do see a lot is people who feel the need to point out that an obviously subjective opinion is subjective as if that actually adds something to a discussion.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think that except for a few non-neurotypical people, "I don't like change" is just a handy dandy cover for the racism and sexism. The change that gets shouted about he loudest is always the change that increases diversity. Replace a white guy with a white guy (Starman, Dick as Batman, Bucky as Cap, white Wally as the Flash, Guy Gardner as GL, Kyle Rayner as GL because even though he's nonwhite most fans seem to think he is) and fans are down for the ride. Similarly with film, the attitude seems to be "make any change to these characters you want, just keep 'em white." If change was the only issue then people should have shouted a lot louder about the other characters than Johnny Storm in the latest FF film. Johnny was in general true to his past characterization. "Race correct" Doom, Ben and Sue were nearly unrecognizable, even comparing them to the Ultimate versions.
    In some cases you are right, but Kyle Rayner replacing Hal got a huge amount of hate in the 90's. A matter a fact their was an organized effort by the fans to get Hal back as Green Lantern. I also think characters being replaced by long time sidekicks are less likely to get complaints, then characters being replaced by new characters with no previous connection to the series at all.

A case where i feel your argument stands up. Compare the reaction to Bucky Cap to the one for Falcon cap. Their both long time sidekicks of original Cap so why is falcon getting so much heat for doing the same thing Bucky did?
    Last edited by mathew101281; 02-05-2016 at 02:32 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Also, the people who love to see the Watchmen story told over and over again for the millionth time in the worst way possible.
    I think certain parts of Watchmen should be rewritten, in the best way possible. A new edition. No sexual violence, no shooting pregnant women. Less ambiguous ending. It might go from being propaganda to a proper novel that way. Please note that it has taken me decades of consternation to work up to writing this very short post right here. I am familiar with the rabid nature of Moore's fans.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zodlike View Post
    I think certain parts of Watchmen should be rewritten, in the best way possible. A new edition. No sexual violence, no shooting pregnant women. Less ambiguous ending. It might go from being propaganda to a proper novel that way. Please note that it has taken me decades of consternation to work up to writing this very short post right here. I am familiar with the rabid nature of Moore's fans.
    Reading some of Moore's interviews on the topic he would probably agree with you. I enjoyed Squadron Supreme more than I did Watchmen.

Various people got murdered in the book. Why was it only the pregnant woman you'd remove?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Reading some of Moore's interviews on the topic he would probably agree with you.
    Yes, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Various people got murdered in the book. Why was it only the pregnant woman you'd remove?
    I'm not sure why you ask. It seemed unnecessarily egregious, that's all.

I'm not sure why you ask. It seemed unnecessarily egregious, that's all.
    I just see people sometimes singling out certain crimes as worse than other equivalent crimes (murdering a person is murdering regardless of who the victim is). It's part of my ongoing quest to work out why.

BANNED

I'd guess it's because a pregnant lady (pregnant with the killer's child) is widely considered a more sympathetic victim than protesters he might have mowed down in the streets. She's coming to him with what she thinks is good news, and his issues cause him to respond as he does. I think the fact that she is a more sympathetic victim and the situation is what it is makes the story better than if she were just some random woman.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I'd guess it's because a pregnant lady (pregnant with the killer's child) is widely considered a more sympathetic victim than protesters he might have mowed down in the streets. She's coming to him with what she thinks is good news, and his issues cause him to respond as he does. I think the fact that she is a more sympathetic victim and the situation is what it is makes the story better than if she were just some random woman.
    Okay, so it's more than her being pregnant. It's her role in the story.

That makes more sense to me. That said, I wouldn't change Watchmen.

BANNED

Oh no, to me it's about her role in the story. I'd assume for him(?) it's about her being pregnant. I think her pregnancy (or more relevantly, her pregnancy with his child) and the swing from what should be shared delight to such s##ty treatment that it ends up with her attacking him and him killing her was the point. It wouldn't have meant anything if she were a random woman he slept with (which in his mind, she was). I'm thinking there was a point beyond just gratuitously killing off a sympathetic victim. I get the impression (though correct me if I'm wrong Zodlike) that he thinks it is played for shock value alone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beorg View Post
    Oh boy. Not liking something related to a non-white/non-heterosexual character automatically makes you racist/sexist.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorg View Post
    You have no idea how many times I've been called racist/sexist or told to check my privilege, because I criticized certain characters and how they're handled. Didn't happen here, but there are strawmen out there.
    On the bright side, resistance breeds strength and nigh-constant intellectual assaults on one's character helps refine that individual into a better debater over time. Eventually the labels mean nothing in and of themselves.