Page 8 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I get the impression (though correct me if I'm wrong Zodlike) that he thinks it is played for shock value alone.
    Maybe it's because I'm not easily shocked by fiction, but I'm really not convinced any writer ever does anything purely for shock value.

Amazing Member

Hmm, I paid my dues by being a part of the comics zine field for 20 years,in the 80s and 90s. The degree of verbal slugfests in the letter pages,was epic.Fan after fan would end up walking away in discust.It was extremly easy, to piss somebody off, and end up so blackballed, vertually none of your efforts would see print.It was an educational experience to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    Almost every single day there is a thread created to talk about all the negative aspects of the comic industry. But what about the fans? They aren't innocent at all. What are some things that tick you off?

For me, I truly dislike this whole 'i hate it. So you should hate it too' mentality that most fans have nowadays. I get it a lot from the DC forums on here.
    The all-too-REAL misogyny within the fandom that I, personally, have encountered recently.
    Sometimes it's blatant, and other times it's subtle, and/or seemingly "out of nowhere", coming from supposed feminists. And that is the worst because it's like a sneak attack.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

I'd say that fandom is too self-critical The view that fandom is somehow, collectively, problematic is a little wearying, as is the habit of denouncing subsets of fans, who are usually only vexed that in their opinion their favourite character/franchise is being mishandled.

Oh, and berating creators for story decisions made some 30 or so years ago. I can understand why someone might have a go at, say, Rick Remender for a recent story, but having a go at Alan Moore for a story written some 30 or so years ago when people's yardstick for what they found difficult in a story differed from how it does today strikes me as being the very acme of futility.

"That which I do not like should not be available to be read by anyone." That mentality is right at the top of my list.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

I hate that superhero comics and spank material have become so intertwined that Catwoman no longer displaying so much cleavage we should see areolas started a 19 page thread of a guy whining "But mah titties!"

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Comparing power levels (= dick measuring): Who's stronger Hulk, Supes, Sentinel etc. who's faster, smarter?
    Continuity fetish above characters and storycrafting
    Whining about costume changes
    Nitpicking movie adaptations that are solid as movies

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    The all-too-REAL misogyny within the fandom that I, personally, have encountered recently.
    Sometimes it's blatant, and other times it's subtle, and/or seemingly "out of nowhere", coming from supposed feminists. And that is the worst because it's like a sneak attack.
    verily, and it was shocking when I started to notice it

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    "That which I do not like should not be available to be read by anyone." That mentality is right at the top of my list.
    oh god yes

I do not like this, therefore all copies should be BURNED

BUUUUUURNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    verily, and it was shocking when I started to notice it
    I hope you are not feeling and were on the receiving end.
    Because it sucks.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    I hope you are not feeling and were on the receiving end.
    Because it sucks.
    no, I knew there were issues I just chose to ignore/stay quiet and then a bunch of things happened one after the other and I was like "Nah B, can't stay quiet anymore"

Fantastic Member

The hypocrisy.

Everyone complains about not having enough diversity or enough b-list, c-list characters or female characters getting their own books and watnot. But when we do get diverse books or b-list or female character books, no one buys them and they get cancelled.

Example DC has been getting criticized over Rebirth because it's mostly all Batman and Superman books

From the new 52 Batwing, Blackhawks, Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, Deathstroke, Demon Knights, Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E., Firestorm, Grifter, Hawk and Dove, I, Vampire, Legion Lost, Legion of Superheroes, Men of War, Mister Terrific, OMAC, Resurrection Man, Savage Hawkman, Static Shock, Voodoo, Dial H, Ravagers, G.I. Combat, Phantom Stranger, Team 7, Sword of Sorcery, Talon, Threshold, Katana, Vibe, Movement, Green Team, Larfleeze, Trinity of Sin: Pandora, Infinity Man and the Forever People, Lobo, Klarion, Arkham Manor, Gotham by Midnight, Secret Six, Midnighter, Omega Men, All-Star Section Eight, Starfire, Black Canary, Doctor Fate, Martian Manhunter and a few others all failed.

So why the hell shouldn't DC focus on Batman and Superman when nobody buys anything else, they tried several times to get other characters out there and no one cares, except the people who like to come on forums and complain about it, put your money where your mouth is.

Even now with Marvel books like Starbrand and Nightmask, Red wolf, Howling Commandos, Hercules, Weirdworld, Drax, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Illuminati, Patsy Walker aka Hellcat, Angela Queen of Hel, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Nova, New Avengers, Vision, Star-Lord, Web warriors, spider-Woman, Contest of Champions, Venom, Ant-Man, All-New Inhumans, Scarlet Witch, Squadron Supreme and a couple more are all well below or coming close to cancellation territory.

so no you don't get to complain about all those diverse characters or female characters or b-list characters not getting any spotlight because not enough of you care to actually by their books.

DC and Marvel are companies that need to make money and as long as Batman sells more than everyone else that is what DC will publish and as long as people constantly buy Marvel's event books that is what they will publish that is why we have had 10 events from marvel since Fear Itself started in 2011. If you don't like that, then stop supporting it and buy the diverse books instead, after you do that then you have every right to complain about there not being enough diverse books.
    DC: Action Comics, Batman, Batman/Superman, Batman and Robin, Batman Off World, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, JG: Flash, JL vs. Godzilla, JSA, Nightwing, Shazam, Superman, Titans, Beast World

Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, Fall of the House of X, Fantastic Four, Resurrection of Magneto, Spectacular Spider-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, WolverineL Madripoor Knights, X-Men

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrewHLMW View Post
    The hypocrisy.

Everyone complains about not having enough diversity or enough b-list, c-list characters or female characters getting their own books and watnot. But when we do get diverse books or b-list or female character books, no one buys them and they get cancelled.

Example DC has been getting criticized over Rebirth because it's mostly all Batman and Superman books

From the new 52 Batwing, Blackhawks, Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, Deathstroke, Demon Knights, Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E., Firestorm, Grifter, Hawk and Dove, I, Vampire, Legion Lost, Legion of Superheroes, Men of War, Mister Terrific, OMAC, Resurrection Man, Savage Hawkman, Static Shock, Voodoo, Dial H, Ravagers, G.I. Combat, Phantom Stranger, Team 7, Sword of Sorcery, Talon, Threshold, Katana, Vibe, Movement, Green Team, Larfleeze, Trinity of Sin: Pandora, Infinity Man and the Forever People, Lobo, Klarion, Arkham Manor, Gotham by Midnight, Secret Six, Midnighter, Omega Men, All-Star Section Eight, Starfire, Black Canary, Doctor Fate, Martian Manhunter and a few others all failed.

Even now with Marvel books like Starbrand and Nightmask, Red wolf, Howling Commandos, Hercules, Weirdworld, Drax, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Illuminati, Patsy Walker aka Hellcat, Angela Queen of Hel, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Nova, New Avengers, Vision, Star-Lord, Web warriors, spider-Woman, Contest of Champions, Venom, Ant-Man, All-New Inhumans, Scarlet Witch, Squadron Supreme and a couple more are all well below or coming close to cancellation territory.
    This is what I hate most about comic fandom, the fact that too many fans are unwilling to support books featuring secondary characters or new concepts. I should note that I'm being a hypocrite right now, since I am currently taking a break from buying new comics, and have therefore not supported those books myself. (Though I will return if Post-Rebirth DC is satisfying enough) But I do wish more buyers with disposable incomes would be more willing to support more diverse characters and genres. That way, companies wouldn't have to generate controversies in order to boost sales.
    Last edited by Atlanta96; 03-13-2016 at 12:43 PM.

I support most of those titles you speak of.
    At least I think I do.

The repetitiveness.
    On another thread, someone asked "What titles do you want to see for DC Rebirth?"
    Someone will mention, for example Grifter. "I want to see a Grifter comic." I read that and I want to say, "Grifter did a relaunch with New 52 and was then cancelled. In the past 5 years what has happened that makes you think a Grifter series could suddenly do well. Of course I use Grifter as an example, many titles/characters fit into that scenario. The response you will see when people address that is, "Well a good one."
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

BANNED

I think that there are two things that bother me. The first is complaints that complex stories, especially ones that adhere to continuity are too hard to understand. And the inability to appreciate any kind of nuance or complexity or shades of grey in characters. I also dislike the fact that most SH villains have to be foaming at the mouths sociopaths to be appreciated.